Sign in to follow this  
Luthier

Guangzhou watch market.

Luthier

I posted this thread on RWG, but it's gone already, so, I'll try to reproduce it as precise as I can here.

Before my trip to China, I sent email to one of watch dealers, asking some Qs, and got reply almost immediately, in about 5 minutes. I can speak a little chinese, so, we quickly established pretty good net relationships. I knew I'm going to GZ in a week time, so, I asked if I can order a few watches and pick it up in GZ personally, because I was scammed on $470 just 2 weeks before, and, knowing chinese in general (I lived in China for a few years), I wanted to be secured. She asked, what models I want, and I requested Rolley DayDate 2 tone, with silver dial and white date/day wheels, with swiss ETA, and Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL gold with A7750. She promised to filfull my request. When I arrived to GZ, I called her, and she(her name is Mary) invited me to her office. Ofcourse, I came right away. My Chopard was on the table, but she said they need 1 more day to assemble my Rolley, because it wasn't just a watch from their website, and they need to obtain white wheels from another factory. OK, no problem. We spent all day together, and I was very impressed with her kindness and willingness to help. We had great dinner in Sichuan cuisine restaurant, and we had very nice conversation about watches, factories, etc. I told her about RWG, saying that we are a bunch of watch collectors, and, probably, she can please our members with hard-to-get watches, or special requests.

Being in her office for almost a full day, I was surprised, how many watches they sell per day, just to strangers, who searching websites for a good deal.

Next day I came to her office again, my parts already arrived, and their watchsmith started to assemble my Rolex. I chose movement from the box with swiss ETA 2836-2, and when my watch was assembled, I wore it, and... bracelet was too small for my 8" wrist. So, they added 4 more links. It was more than I needed, but I said - leave it, I'll adjust it at home. Then I asked her- Mary, I need good IWC bracelet, gold crown for my Patek, gold crown for my Montblank, and the buckle for Patek. She said - give me 1 day, I'll get it for you. Then I asked if she can show the famous GZ watch market. OK, no problem. We catched taxi near her office, and voila - the watch paradise!!!!! We spent there few hours, I took many pictures, bought few cheap reps(no reps with A7750 there), and picked up a bunch of catalogs from chinese watch and movements factories. So, I brought home 12 reps total, not to mention I got very, and I mean very good discount on my Rolley and Chopard. When I came back home, I ordered few more watches from Mary, paid by Western Union, asked to ship it by registered airmail, and got all of them without any problems. My TT Sub with swiss ETA still on my wrist for a few months, and I just love it.

Also I visited an office of another dealer, Weyman, with whom we talked on MSN for a month before my trip, and he prepared few watches for me- TAG Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36 (I requested SS/Rubber bracelet, and he found it for me), and gold Concord C-1 quartz, both great watches, and I was treated like a Prime Minister in their office. Nice people. And definitely not a scammers.

Here's a few pictures from Guangzhou watch market. I especially love the banner "Realize the harmfullness of counterfeit" right in the center of counterfeit market. (Pic. #1). Enjoy and envy!!!

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

DSCF0005.jpg

01-2.jpg

03-2.jpg

04-2.jpg

05-2.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

D.jpg

Edited by Luthier

Thrillseeker

Wow man! Cool story and great pics! Always wondered what that place looks like. I love the Grand Carrera!

Luthier
Wow man! Cool story and great pics! Always wondered what that place looks like. I love the Grand Carrera!

Me too, especially if I paid $47 for it.

AllergyDoc

A couple of the guys didn't look so happy about having their picture taken. There must be an unlimited about of steel available.

Luthier
A couple of the guys didn't look so happy about having their picture taken. There must be an unlimited about of steel available.

No, Doc, they're just bored to death. I shot pictures absolutely openly, and nobody said even a word.

greg_r

Good to see this again, Luthier - thanks for re-posting!

Luthier
Good to see this again, Luthier - thanks for re-posting!

My pleasure. Honestly- can't wait to go there again.

graman

Oh...so want to go there...

RolexAddict

Yes great pics,

It would be interesting to make a group, and organize a trip there, If we are at least 20 people, we could get good prices for a fly+hotels package

pollux1

Great post Luthier, if I may ask, what kind of discount did you get and would they be willing to give the same discount for mail order? We could do a group buy!

Luthier
Great post Luthier, if I may ask, what kind of discount did you get and would they be willing to give the same discount for mail order? We could do a group buy!

I paid $150 for DayDate with swiss ETA, $250 for Chopard, and it was brand new rep. on the market, all dealers asked $340-$360 for this model, I paid $250 for TT Sub with wrapped gold, while others charge $320+ for same model, and about 20% discount for all other watches I bought from Mary.

I introduced our Forum to her, and asked if our people can get some discounts too, and she said - "Not as much as you, but, ofcourse, for your friends discounts will be available. Young girls still love me... Hehehe...

Don't take me wrong- I do NOT promote any dealers, Mary sell tons of watches every day, I saw it by my own eyes, so, she don't need us, we need her, because if you buy 1 rep. a month, and save $20-$50 on each - it's 2-4 extra reps per year. Also - she has watchsmith, and ABSOLUTELY EVERY WATCH she ship- was tested in her office. Also, she is extremely attentive to customers, excellent communication, very good English, and she has access to many good factories, and willing to sell you parts too- cases, bracelets, dials, crowns, etc, etc. She can find the watch she don't have on her site. So, ask - and you'll get it.

I'm extremely pleased with her.

KBH

Interesting reading. Thanks. Now how about a picture of Mary :)

Luthier
Interesting reading. Thanks. Now how about a picture of Mary :drunksing:

:drunksing:

JohnG

bump for a classic thread and also - who has the site url for Luthier's dealer? Or email? And who has dealt with him/her/them?

I would ask him but he seems to be MIA...

alphakazi

he get's too much abuse to stick around me thinks :vomit:

JohnG
he get's too much abuse to stick around me thinks :D

Poor guy. Who is willing to give him a blowjob so that he will come back?

Onze?

greg_r
bump for a classic thread and also - who has the site url for Luthier's dealer? Or email? And who has dealt with him/her/them?

I seem to recall that he said Mary moved on to another company - he's not posted her new contact info here, though..

I have a sneaky suspicion that member "Watchcafe" may be Mary, but I'm not 100% sure. Col has done business with her - so may have a direct email

AllergyDoc

New girl is "Julia." I tried to buy the DS V3 from her. Got the price (same as I later bought from Jackie Chen) but never heard back despite 2 requests for their PayPal addy. Maybe caught them at a bad time.

JohnG
New girl is "Julia." I tried to buy the DS V3 from her. Got the price (same as I later bought from Jackie Chen) but never heard back despite 2 requests for their PayPal addy. Maybe caught them at a bad time.

That is always a bad sign - when they are too lazy to take your money....

Guest dave123

Those are pretty lousy reps,cool story though....nice pics... :)

iabounty
he get's too much abuse to stick around me thinks :)

Poor guy. Who is willing to give him a blowjob so that he will come back?

Onze?

As far as I am concerned, my advice is "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" ........ People who try to convince you how good they are , or how rich and admired they are or (insert word you want to convey at this time here........ or bragg about themselves as I call it) are not worth giving the time of day to in my opinion........... So as it is said. So it will be written..........

greg_r

All due respect to Luthier: When it comes to building guitars he's a true artist - one of the finest in the world (I know who he is, and had heard of him long before he joined us at RWG1).

I still agree with bme's summary from another thread (and IA's from this one), however :)

alphakazi

Hey Luthier... Luthier come back

ah come on guys, he has his moments but he is a valued member of these forums - he just needs to get out more - or get laid, yea that's it - it's amazing how a good fuck will calm the mind

Luthier
Hey Luthier... Luthier come back

ah come on guys, he has his moments but he is a valued member of these forums - he just needs to get out more - or get laid, yea that's it - it's amazing how a good fuck will calm the mind

I bet I get laid much more often than all of you together.

Just can't stand when some degenerats blame me for nothing, but never pay attention to reall BS that's all around here.

People on other forums laughing on RWG, and I understand, why. I tried to invite a few, got answer- we don't go to bordello.

I'm still alive, and as I said before - I don't give damn what others said, just here became boring.Some of you must to learn how to respect others, even if they don't speak perfect English. At least I speak 6-7 langs quite decently. Do you?

I guess this is my last post here. I came to learn about watches, not about goats.