Sign in to follow this  
P_Diddy

Watch Collecting patterns

P_Diddy

What are the typical watch collecting patterns that exist?

I don't understand or appreciate this example.

UPO is the holy grail watch, Collector A gets the latest UPO rep and fawns over it waxing lyrical.

Collector A decides he must have the gen PO as the rep wonderful it may seem just does not have the final nth finess.

Collector A must have the gen PO and scans the used market fervently

Collector A buys used gen PO and keeps it for a few months before selling it ?

Financial disaster not withstanding or needing an operation, why would you sell off your holy grail watch?

Months passes by and Collector A picks up another UPO rep.

The cycle is repeated again for other holy grail watches....

Why would anyone display such behaviour?

If a watch is holy grail then you would keep it particularly if its a gen [finances permitting]

Discuss :D

Member X

I think people just really like a watch, get the rep to try it and see if they like it, then get the gen because they liked the rep.

However, given that 99% of people don't actually notice your watch, you have to be sure that you're only buying a watch to please yourself and not others - and I reckon people confuse their Grails with watches they think others will be envious of...

Therefore they probably buy the gen, don't get the feelings they hoped $$$$ would buy them, then sell it on because they resent spending the money for so little extra benefit over a rep, hence going back to a rep later.

That's what I reckon anyway. I don't think there's any watch I'd want to spend $$$$ on at the moment, given the quality of reps and the uniqueness at great value that homages and custom watches provide, especially when you break the price of a gen into parts and realise there's a lot of money that doesn't seem to be going on anything other than the label.

greg_r

I put it down to a short attention span :D

Happens with everything, though. Back when I was in the audio business I had several customers like that. They'd save up for a vastly expensive piece of kit, keep it for three months, get bored with it and sell it in favour of the latest vastly expensive piece of kit. We used to call them 'Audio Psychos' and thanked God for their existence each and every day ;)

P_Diddy

I have a short attention span, sorry what we talking about :)

I used to follow these Audio Psycho when I collected hifi and buy it when they dropped them.

what I don't understand is when they go back and buy the same rep again after dumping the gen,

what's the point if you didn't dig the gen why go for the rep again, it can't be to do with money surely?

I put it down to a short attention span :D

Happens with everything, though. Back when I was in the audio business I had several customers like that. They'd save up for a vastly expensive piece of kit, keep it for three months, get bored with it and sell it in favour of the latest vastly expensive piece of kit. We used to call them 'Audio Psychos' and thanked God for their existence each and every day ;)

greg_r
I used to follow these Audio Psycho when I collected hifi and buy it when they dropped them.

hehe - so did I. Made money on both sides of the deal :thumbsup:

what I don't understand is when they go back and buy the same rep again after dumping the gen,

what's the point if you didn't dig the gen why go for the rep again, it can't be to do with money surely?

In all honesty, it beats the hell outta me too.

spboudart
I think people just really like a watch, get the rep to try it and see if they like it, then get the gen because they liked the rep.

However, given that 99% of people don't actually notice your watch, you have to be sure that you're only buying a watch to please yourself and not others - and I reckon people confuse their Grails with watches they think others will be envious of...

Therefore they probably buy the gen, don't get the feelings they hoped $$$$ would buy them, then sell it on because they resent spending the money for so little extra benefit over a rep, hence going back to a rep later.

That's what I reckon anyway. I don't think there's any watch I'd want to spend $$$$ on at the moment, given the quality of reps and the uniqueness at great value that homages and custom watches provide, especially when you break the price of a gen into parts and realise there's a lot of money that doesn't seem to be going on anything other than the label.

Totally agree with that!

Except most of us don't have the finance for all the gen watches we want, and we just want to keep trying on: buying rep!

phaedo

My theory is a bit to do with short attention span, but after a while grow bored with it, or see something else you want. So get rid of it. But after a few more months, miss it, so go and get the rep again since you no longer have either rep or gen. Nostalgia, it ain't what it once was... As an example, my first car was a mini. (regular leyland, not a cooper or anything that flash!) But I would love to get another one, it was a cool car. And these days probably worth 5 times what it was when I had one! But, if I were to get another one, I would immediately realize what a complete waste of money it was to spend, doesn't even have air conditioning!

Luthier

I love watches. I started to buy reps in 2004, in Guangzhou, and, ofcourse, most of it were fantasy watches. Since I started to understand things about reps - thanks to this Forum - I buy only watches that I love and will never sell. That's why I'm quite picky in my choices.

I still keep 20-25 fantasy reps from 2004-2007, and I don't want to sell it, even if somebody will ask. I doubt it, tho... :)

Same with cars - I keep car as long as possible, because I buy car only if I love it very much. I didn't use to change things often, I love my things, and get used to them. I have a few very expensive genuine watches, and I rarely wear it. And probably will never buy gen. again. Waste of money. Recently saw TAG Carrera, oversized, for $2500, fantastic watch, honestly... but I can buy replica, same model, for around $250. Who the hell cares, that there's microscopic differences? I personally don't.

trailboss99

When I get my gen Moonie they will have to bury me with it on!

Col.

Massimo
When I get my gen Moonie they will have to bury me with it on!

Col.

+1. I like that :lol: It's also my grail watch and there still isn't a rep of it that is quite close enough for me to go down that route.

The only thing is, my grail watch keeps changing every few months or years. Maybe that's the Watch Psycho thing.

AustinTech

I usually buy reps for two reasons:

1. to try out that particular watch before blowing the money on the gen

2. because I'd never buy the gen, the rep is awesome, and I'd wear it a lot

I orignally thought I'd get a BCE - but after having the rep, I decided it was a little to small. Moved to the SA, a touch too big (but I'd love to have one with a gen Pro2).

Then I moved to the UPO. LOVED IT. Sold it and bought the gen. I'll never sell it, it looks great, timeless design, and is very versitile.

I look for just one of each style watch in my collection. There are six styles - in my mind.

FBV

i've stopped buying reps (for the moment) primarily because there is nothing currently out there that is directly calling out my name or stating buy buy me because i am the best in class!

i started out in this hobby with this basic thought "i can have all the watches i wanted n not have to spend the $$$ for the gen and have buyer's remorse". (mostly rolex and omega) the rep hobby gave me an opportunity to "test drive" a particular model of a gen watch -- that was cool.

then i discovered panerai and it was so long rolex and everything else. i quickly amassed a collection that included a fantasy white sausage dial 111, highly modified 111H, custom made Fiddy, 212, 282 on blue gator, 90gmt, another 127. then bordom settle in. no existing rep was calling out to me and if there was something new out there it also did not call out to me that "you need to have me in your collection"

then in dec 2008, i attended and met up with several other collectors and watch company owner all from another rep forum. our conversation eventually got onto "customization" not modding mind you truely customizing a rep dial to a one of kind piece of artwork by having it painted. novel idea i thought but was not convinced still i got new interest and excitement after seeing what they were talking about as one of the attendees had a custom dial painting of the earth and a star constellation and glow like a torch lume on his panerai style watch.

since that dec 2008 meeting, i was able to find and contact a watch dial artist who could transform a generic and simple looking panerai dial (sandwich or sausage) in to a piece of artwork that is truly one of a kind!

i now have 2 completed customized dials on panerai style watches (converted the fantasy 111 white dial) and my 2nd fiddy. i am having another two dials commissioned - dials 3 and 4 are in the pipeline to be created scheduled for 9.21 completion on my wrist and #4 to be done by oct 12.

guess that is just how this "collecting hobby" has evolved for me. at least i can honest state NO ONE has the same type of watch i do. truly one of a kind!

Luthier

Pictures of dials, pliiizzz...???

Member X

+1!