Dream_on

(noob question) Water-proofing Submariner?

Dream_on

So I got a Submariner replica online a few weeks ago. It's really nice, really good quality, and was only about $80 (plus shipping). One thing though, that has always bugged me about it is the fact that it's not water resistant. (well it is, but not enough for swimming). Is there anyway I can make my watch water resistant to a minimum of 50m (the minimum for swimming)? Anyone ever attempted/succeeded in doing something like this? Thanks

Distinct

Can I ask you how you know it is or isn't water proof? What were the results of your pressure testing? I have a Submariner (not your $80 one) and it's good to 200 metres.

Dream_on
Can I ask you how you know it is or isn't water proof? What were the results of your pressure testing? I have a Submariner (not your $80 one) and it's good to 200 metres.

It was never pressure tested, but in the description online it said "Water resistant: not suitable for swimming or diving"

Distinct

I would recommend that you have it pressure tested. The watchsmith will tell you where the issues are, from the crystal, the case back or the crown, etc. Don't bother blindly embarking on waterproofing without seeing where to start. You might also be surprised that your watch requires nothing for basic swimming. What swimming are you doing where you are going down 50 metres?

Dream_on
I would recommend that you have it pressure tested. The watchsmith will tell you where the issues are, from the crystal, the case back or the crown, etc. Don't bother blindly embarking on waterproofing without seeing where to start. You might also be surprised that your watch requires nothing for basic swimming. What swimming are you doing where you are going down 50 metres?

Well I read that watches rated at 30 meters are not suitable for swimming, as 30 meters only means splash resistant, 50 meters is the minimum for surface swimming, 100 is good for swimming and water sports, 200 is suitable for snorkeling, diving, etc. and 300+ is for saturation diving, etc. So I just wanted my watch to be a minimum of 50m so I can at least swim with it. And I heard that it isn't a good idea to take a replica watch to a watch maker for work...

Luthier

Ye, ye, blah, blah...

Go and test it.

RS9

Dealers will sometimes claim things which are simply not true, water resistance being one of them.

If you want to waterproof your sub, open the case and use silicon grease to lubricate the the rubber gasket that seals the caseback. Next you'll need to do the same for the gaskets inside the crown and on the crown tube. Finally, ensure the crystal is fully pressed in and then have it pressure tested to ensure it actually is water-resistant.

I swear someone had a tutorial on how to do it (GioArmani perhaps?) but I can't be bothered to find it right now.

Best of luck.

myaz

great tutorial by Wiz on waterproofing the crystal:

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...l=waterproofing

Use the advanced search function: select "more search options" and type in waterproofing in the box on left, check "search titles only" on the right and you'll get additional topics. best of luck

10:10 Watch Repair
Dealers will sometimes claim things which are simply not true

what? :clap:

porkypig2010

to make sure it is waterproof take to a watchsmith and have it tested .

GingerApple
9 minutes ago, porkypig2010 said:

to make sure it is waterproof take to a watchsmith and have it tested .

That will probably really help him. Seven and a half years after he posted the question.

Doh! Necro necro!

Ramonessnl

wow.. wonder if that Gate sub is still function

Mystery Shopper

Porkypig just won necropost of the year.

In a  $80 sub that is 7 plus years old waterproofing would be the least of its problems.