Sign in to follow this  
tommylad

How do I remover very stiff lug screws on Pam Radiomir 373?

tommylad

Exactly as the title suggests guys. Received this from Robert today and I want to change the strap over. One of the screws has come out no problem but the others are really stiff and just will not turn.

Does anyone know how I loosen them? Or would it be better to put tape over the caseback and use brute force.

Thanks in advance,

Tommy

Tempus

a good bathe in WD40 always loosens my nuts bolts and screws...... :Whistle:

tommylad
a good bathe in WD40 always loosens my nuts bolts and screws...... :Whistle:

Can I just spray it directly onto them?

myaz

To keep clean up to a minimum, I might use a toothpick or such other doodad to apply a small amount to the hole where the screw is

tommylad
To keep clean up to a minimum, I might use a toothpick or such other doodad to apply a small amount to the hole where the screw is

So just to clarify, I could put some on a tooth pick or needle and try to dab some down the gap between the screw and the screw hole?

Sorry, I'm useless at this sort of thing.

Luthier

Use pipette. And heat the lug with soldering iron.

tommylad

I'm sure that would work but, alas, no pipette or soldering iron.

myaz

yeah. I'd spray a little in a cup, transfer a droplet with a toothpick and give it time to "soak in". Penetrating oil works well too. The thing is, the oil needs to penetrate between surfaces to act. If the surfaces are perfectly mated together, the oil can't squeeze in between and too much force breaks the screw.

Just be gentle.

Luthier

I'm sure that would work but, alas, no pipette or soldering iron.

How can you live without soldering iron?????????????????

:Whistle:

tommylad

Until I got into watches there was no need for one...

Maybe I should tool up.

tommylad

I can't even find the WD40 so I'll have to put it on hold until tomorrow.

I hope it goes well. Every fix I've tried so far has been a bit of a disaster.

COMPLICATIONS

even with wd40 you'll still need to crack the initial stiction, the wd40 won't actually help untill the screw has moved ever so slightly. I would also advise making sure the screwdriver fits the screw head exactly, stone it down to fit if it's slack or you'll strip the head faster than you'l strip the threads.

tommylad

The screwdriver does seem to fit. The WD40 didn't work at all - there was nowhere for it to go. Is there anything I can do involving heat? What could I use and exactly where could I apply it.

This is really fucking annoying me.

anthonyd

Tommy, another trick that I have used for really tight engine bolts should work here too.

Place the screw driver into the screw head and then tap the screw driver down into the screw head with a hammer. On engines you give it a good hit but with watches I'd just tap lightly. This is normally enough to force the screws down a fraction and break that initial friction.

Or course this assumes that the screws are just really tight, there is always a chance thay they were mounted cross threaded, in which case only bute force with your screwdriver will do and the threads are probably stripped already.

tommylad

I took it to a watchsmith and he fixed the strap no problem. My screwdriver was probably too small.

He also fixed it free of charge - as he has done with minor fixes before. He just asks you to put some change in a charity box.

Now the 373 is on a brown Bob buffalo strap and it looks amazing. Only downside is the coloured AR.

I'll post a couple of photos in Robert's feedback section when I get back from work.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Shame I was too useless to put it into practice.

Tommy

Scavolas

Well, I guess would have been smarter to do a deep search on this forum before I bought this PAM373 from Tommylad. It looks like that watchsmith actually fucked up the lug screw himself and glued the screw in the hole afterwards. I wonder if Tommylad was aware of this unprofessional type of service he had been given? If he was indeed, why he hid this very fact from me before the sale? Kind of unpleasant situation we got here....

g.man

Have you actually spoken to him about it?

Gazillionaire

Well, I guess would have been smarter to do a deep search on this forum before I bought this PAM373 from Tommylad. It looks like that watchsmith actually fucked up the lug screw himself and glued the screw in the hole afterwards. I wonder if Tommylad was aware of this unprofessional type of service he had been given? If he was indeed, why he hid this very fact from me before the sale? Kind of unpleasant situation we got here....

Yeah Pm him mate.

Scavolas

Did it, no reply as of yet.

subiim

Interesting...