Sign in to follow this  
grinner

Review of Ultimate PO from Marvelous Replicas

grinner

I asked around a couple of weeks ago about buying a PO rep, and after reading the discussions and reviews, decided to go with Marvelous Replicas last week. I can't be happier with the process and from order to receipt, the entire process took less than 7 days.

I thought I would post a little review of the watch just so others can know what to expect. Here's a snapshot of it on my wrist, from my iPhone.

photo2.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with the watch, considering what I paid for it. It feels solid and substantial, and it looks very close to gen. It looks great on my wrist. It is only when you handle it that you can tell it is not of the same quality. Now I own several gen Omegas (a couple of Seamasters, and a Speedy Pro), and have owned numerous lower-end Swiss Watches (Tissot, Titoni, Swiss Army), and I want to rank this watch compared to them.

Case/bezel: This is where the UPO shines, IMO. This is very nearly perfect, and very close to the quality of a gen Omega or a Titnoi (which is a great bargain, BTW), at least until you open the back. It is better than any Tissot or Swiss Army I have owned. You could probably be fooled this is a gen until you look at the caseback and unscrew it. The engraving on the back is not quite as detailed/crisp as the gen, and the caseback sets very roughly (i.e., the threads are not very clean and/or precise). This is far below the standards of Omega, Tissot, or even Swiss Army. However, this really isn't important unless you think you will have a 600m water resistant watch. I doubt this one would be watertight at 50 m, but I never expected it to be, so this OK by me. The caseback stays on, which is all I really need in a rep.

Dial/Crystal/hands: The dial is very sharp and the writing is crisp and to my eye, appears to be the correct size, font, and looks to be as good as any gen Omega dial I have seen. The hands also look great. No issues here. The luminous material is crap, though, so don't expect to be able to read this at night. My Swiss Army and a cheap Orient glow better than the UPO. So, don't expect any sort of strong glow from this in the dark. The crystal has some sort of anti-reflecting coating on it, but it doesn't seem to do much except attract smudges. I'm going to remove it as soon as I can.

Movement: I bought mine with the Chinese 2824 rep. So far it keeps good time (~ 5 sec/day), and the hands move smoothly, but you can tell it is not an Omega movement simply by winding the watch and shaking it. The rotor moves much more noisily than on a gen, and the winding is harsh and gritty, not the smooth as butter winding of a gen (or even a gen 2824 that has been put together well, as in Titoni). Still, it is not as noisy as a cheap Chinese automatic, and only you and your watchmaker will be looking inside anyway.

Bracelet: Although the bracelet looks good on the wrist and feels substantial, this is easily the weakest part of the watch, IMO. Gen Omega bracelets are highly machined and drape perfectly over the wrist; the links move smoothly with very little rubbing; the clasp is tight and does not rattle (at least, not on a new bracelet). The rep bracelet on my watch fails on all these accounts. The link that attaches next to the end-piece on one side (by the 6) is so poorly milled, that it rubs against the other link and has to be forced down to follow the curve of my wrist. You can't tell in the photo (because I have forced it down), but when you take it off, the bracelet lays very stiffly under the watch. I have taken out all the links and soaked the entire bracelet in WD-40 overnight, but it did not improve much. It is mainly because the links are not very well finished except on the exterior. The interior portions, which rub against each other, are very rough, unlike a gen Omega link.

Overall, however, I am very happy with this rep. It is as good as I expected, and better in some circumstances. If you don't expect it to be a perfect replica and have the same quality as an Omega, you should be very happy with it.

boneyjr

Nice review! Enjoy the watch

LeandroBR

Good info mate ! Congrats ! :D

brokenblinker

The pictures on their website are not very spectacular compared with some of the reviews I have seen with the etched world symbol or whatever that is. Do you know anything about that?

DeLaForce

Nice watch for the cash :)

kgomez1992

Looks great!

powderfreak

PO rocks! Good taste B)

NFleischer

Nice review thanks. I honestly think the UPO is over hyped- good but not super rep.

IMO, the new 42mm. PO's are nicer.

myaz

Thanks for taking the time to write a comparison to a gen. Good useful information to have.

popklister

It looks awesome, I will order one myself next week. One question is that the rep insert? Cause it looks better then the other UPO i´ve seen?

grinner

That's the insert that came with it.

DarkGlass

Grinner, nice write up mate thanks !

rolexfreak

a very nice looking watch

B5GLX

Thanks for a great write-up!

billyd0012

Edited by billyd0012