Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

UPDATED - VINTAGE MOVEMENTS ARRIVED!

JohnG

You may remember that in an earlier episode JohnG bought a pocket watch with beautiful decorated movement, only to discover that 16 size is not the same as 16 ligne (If this means nothing to you, skip this part and go get yourself a refreshment).

In any event, I have since been following auctions of 10 size Early 20th century American pocket watches, in the pursuit of good looking movements to place in future low-budget vintage Radiomir homage projects. I have for the most part ignored the Hamilton 921/917 movements which are popular and hence not inexpensive. I have focused on Elgin, South Bend, Waltham, Illinois, etc...

So last night I put in snipe orders on a couple of watches, both from the same seller. I won them both, they are both running movements, both size 10 (will fit in radiomir case), the price for the two, with shipping to Spain? $86. :o

VERY sexy movements, very cool decorations, sexeh regulators....

Here are links and pics:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...#ht_1689wt_1012

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...#ht_1701wt_1012

1918 ILLINOIS 10 SIZE 17 JEWEL

297687518_o.jpg

1921 ELGIN 10 SIZE 15 JEWEL

297688364_o.jpg

You guys have seen the mini-Fiddy. Now prepare for the JohnG vintage homages! :lol:

greg_r

Wow. Great pickups both. Can't wait to see what you do with them - if it's anything like as good as the mini fiddy, it'll be something special indeed....

Dr.Manhatten

dude !! holyshit those are nice!!! awesome buys. honostly cant wait to see how this is gonna turn out. i was wondering are you planning on getting them serviced before installing them?

Dr.Manhatten

cant decide which one i like more, they both are sweet looking

JohnG
dude !! holyshit those are nice!!! awesome buys. honostly cant wait to see how this is gonna turn out. i was wondering are you planning on getting them serviced before installing them?

I am considering doing it myself.

But at a later date. I think I will install then and then, when I have rebuilt a few 6497's (very very similar design) I may take a stab at servicing them...

Member X

I was gonna say, they basically look like 6497/6498s!

Nice pickup, can't wait to see the outcome :D

trailboss99

Nice. I still prefer the Walthems as the decoration is a high point on those.

Will be very interesting to see what you do with them.

Col.

Dr.Manhatten

going to be amazing!! what sort of dial/hands you thinking about using

JohnG

Secret for now - I am researching chemicals, nitric acid, amonia, copper sulfate, potash, etc...

.... don't worry, it will all become clear later....

Ordered this today too, will be the platform for my first project of the two (same as pic, but with "radiomir stitching and domed plexi):

b_1246807264765020188.jpg

I ordered the watch with a PVD movement, will strip that out, save it for another project, the case will get one of my new pocketwatch movements, dial from another source, radically modded, vintagization to strap, case, plexi crystal, buckle, going to be THE SHIT.

KBH

You could be the next Lum-Tec!

greg_r

Secret for now - I am researching chemicals, nitric acid, amonia, copper sulfate, potash, etc...

.... don't worry, it will all become clear later....

Ordered this today too, will be the platform for my first project of the two (same as pic, but with "radiomir stitching and domed plexi):

b_1246807264765020188.jpg

I ordered the watch with a PVD movement, will strip that out, save it for another project, the case will get one of my new pocketwatch movements, dial from another source, radically modded, vintagization to strap, case, plexi crystal, buckle, going to be THE SHIT.

I've got one of those with the domed plexi. Gorgeous thing it is - the case is really nice quality.

pollux1

Beautiful looking movements John, can't wait to see the finished result!

JohnG

Somebody here, can't remember who it was, said in another thread that they wouldn't feel comfortable cannibalizing an antique watch to do a project like this. The truth is, it give me pause too. However, this is the way I look at it now - these watches cost me less than $40 each. A PVD movement from Getat costs more - why is this? Because there are a LOT of these watches out there. No one threw them away, they ended up in Grandpa's dresser drawer and when he died, to the parents, then the grandkids. And for the most part they SIT in drawers. There are a TON of these watches, and no one will throw them away but no one really wants them that much either. So to a large degree they are a loss, they do no one any good in their current state.

But to take one, remove the beautiful movement and place it in a watch that will not only be WORN but also where it will be SEEN - behind a display back, well it seems like a fitting destination for one of these movements. It is like an old building, a beautiful old building, perhaps an industrial building from the 19th C., that has no real use anymore in it's current state, but no one wants to destroy it either because it has a certain beauty. So you take that old factory and reinvent it - making it into lofts and now the building has relevance again, and it can be ENJOYED by people, rather than just sitting there and rotting.

Anyway, that is the way I am rationalizing it. :lol:

greg_r
Somebody here, can't remember who it was, said in another thread that they wouldn't feel comfortable cannibalizing an antique watch to do a project like this. The truth is, it give me pause too. However, this is the way I look at it now - these watches cost me less than $40 each. A PVD movement from Getat costs more - why is this? Because there are a LOT of these watches out there. No one threw them away, they ended up in Grandpa's dresser drawer and when he died, to the parents, then the grandkids. And for the most part they SIT in drawers. There are a TON of these watches, and no one will throw them away but no one really wants them that much either. So to a large degree they are a loss, they do no one any good in their current state.

But to take one, remove the beautiful movement and place it in a watch that will not only be WORN but also where it will be SEEN - behind a display back, well it seems like a fitting destination for one of these movements. It is like an old building, a beautiful old building, perhaps an industrial building from the 19th C., that has no real use anymore in it's current state, but no one wants to destroy it either because it has a certain beauty. So you take that old factory and reinvent it - making it into lofts and now the building has relevance again, and it can be ENJOYED by people, rather than just sitting there and rotting.

Anyway, that is the way I am rationalizing it. :lol:

It works for me - for every antique watch with some historical importance, there are 1,000 that are just nice old watches - interesting, but not really of any great inherent value. I personally see no problem in taking an item like that and turning it into something that's beautiful and useful again - there's a lot to be said in favour of it IMHO...

sconehead

I never thought I'd be influenced by a JohnG post, apart from the Dave/Fakey vid which made me belly-laugh of course. But I'm currently watching this, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT because of this post, another avenue of this hobby to explore...where will it all end? :lol:

edit:Suppose I'd better post this in the 'watching' section now...bugger

JohnG
I never thought I'd be influenced by a JohnG post, apart from the Dave/Fakey vid which made me belly-laugh of course. But I'm currently watching this, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT because of this post, another avenue of this hobby to explore...where will it all end? :irish_dance:

edit:Suppose I'd better post this in the 'watching' section now...bugger

Wow, VERY nice, good luck, and if you change your mind, post a note here, I would go for another one - silly though, they are very plentiful but I want to BUY THEM ALL.

Just ordered TWO of these from Burgeon, getting ready for my next vintage baby:

SNC00922.jpg

sconehead

John, will the 10 size movement shoehorn into a 44mm pam case, or will I have to use a Radiomir?

JohnG
John, will the 10 size movement shoehorn into a 44mm pam case, or will I have to use a Radiomir?

Not sure, find out the inside diameter of the 44mm you want, the size 10 SHOULD be 38.10mm. I know it will fit in SOME cases designed for 6497's but not sure what, if any, size difference there is (actually I know the size 10 is a little bigger, just not how much.

When mine arrive I will measure, and let you know. I also ordered a digital vernier caliper from HK :)

You find out about inside diameter on the cases you are considering, I will tell you the outside diameter of BOTH the 6497 AND the size 10's I bought... and go from there...

Member X

Good stuff!

I think I may even give this building lark a go... :)

JohnG

Both watches arrived today, keeping nice time after a few hours, will have to check them more precisely tonight, check them against atomic clock.

Lets go right to the pics:

1921 ELGIN 10 SIZE 15 JEWEL - the dial is quite stained, snap on case back, movement is pretty clean, slightest corrosion, very nice decorations, Elgin micrometric regulator.

Imagen136.jpg

Imagen127.jpg

Imagen128.jpg

1918 ILLINOIS 10 SIZE 17 JEWEL - porcelain dial, small cracks, damage at 11, , movement is pretty clean, slightest corrosion, swan neck regulator, lovely decorations and engravings.

Imagen137.jpg

Imagen119.jpg

Imagen122.jpg

Couple of old advertisements, roughly contemporary with these watches:

s_does_a_watch_date_a_man.jpg

Illinois%20circa%201928%20ad%20-%20the%20joy%20of%20living.jpg

trailboss99

This is gunna be good!

Col.

greg_r

really nice - both of them. The Elgin movement in particular is gorgeous. Going to be pretty special in a vintage homage...

Massimo

Yes, very nice. I also prefer the Elgin movement and, as a bonus, I think the watch it's in is quite hideous so I look forward to seeing the movement improve its surroundings by gracing a Radiomir homage.

JohnG
Yes, very nice. I also prefer the Elgin movement and, as a bonus, I think the watch it's in is quite hideous so I look forward to seeing the movement improve its surroundings by gracing a Radiomir homage.

:D

I just set checked the watches against www.time.gov, gave them a full wind, will check again tomorrow to see how they are doing. They are 2:45 and 2:38 ahead of the official time, hopefully they will be about the same tomorrow. :(

greg_r

*crosses fingers*