Sign in to follow this  
Member X

6497 bridge swapping - can it be done?

Member X

Ok, this is a hypothetical question...

Would it be possible to swap the bridges from a dead H-Factory 6497 onto another, high beat 6497?

Would they be a straight swap?

As I understand it they should be identical in construction with identical mounting points for the different parts, but I'm sure it's not that simple... :facepalm::lol:

MikeMcNair

should be easy as pie dude, as long as everything lines up. i hear "H factory" blah blah blah all the time, but lets face it, there are a few (actually many) different SIZED 6497's, and if they are the same size, all parts are "swappable" per se.

Wiz

It can only be done if both movements are high beat. You can't swap the bridges from a low beat onto a high beat, as jewels are of different sizes.

And even between 2 high beats, if the movements are not from the same maker, you will probably have have to swap the balance wheels and the entire the shock springs system, jewels included.

Wiz

MikeMcNair

well said. any swap of bridges i have done (lets say from a sterile mvmnt to a "PAM" bridge) always went well, as long as the size was the same, never measured BPH.

must have been the same ;)

10:10 Watch Repair

Good point Wiz, I just had a 6497 from a Noob with a bad Incabloc. In order to replace it, the whole assembly needs to be removed. An A6497 low beat didn't fit, and neither did a Swiss ETA from the supply house. I had to piece together the old parts with a scavenged spring to make it work. Meaning: jewels and their assemblies not only may not fit high beat to low beat, but also Swiss to Asian and even Asian to Asian.

MikeMcNair

cant believe you have had these troubles guys. last time i did it, it was easy as hell.

luck perhaps?

Wiz

cant believe you have had these troubles guys. last time i did it, it was easy as hell.

luck perhaps?

Sure was. :D

Low to high, swiss to asian, even asian to asian from different sources, I faced these types of issues each and every time.

There are different balance wheels to fit different shock systems. A balance wheel may fit a shock system it has not been made for, but it won't spin flat, it will "do the jiggle". The movement may work for a while but after some time it will start developping issues.

Member X

Thanks for the replies, all :)

No luck for an easy fix for my 177, then! :lol:

I will get it apart at the weekend and have a poke around...

Wiz

Thanks for the replies, all :)

No luck for an easy fix for my 177, then! :lol:

I will get it apart at the weekend and have a poke around...

The easy fix is to order a movement that doesn't need to be modified, like the so called "high beat platinum plated". These are fairly good movements.

MikeMcNair

The easy fix is to order a movement that doesn't need to be modified, like the so called "high beat platinum plated". These are fairly good movements.

frankly, i have had NOTHING but problems with those bro!! like, TONS of issues.

The Kuvarsit? I'm looking at one now and it seems pretty good.

Member X

Arrrrgh, conflicting views!! :wacko::lol:

Arrrrgh, conflicting views!! :wacko::lol:

Conflicting "experiences" big difference.

Wiz

Are you sure we're talking about the same movements?

I'm surprised, because I've had about half a dozen in hands and they all were pretty good. Dirty of course, but that was about it.

I just worked on a kuvarsit platinum plated movement and it was IMO as good as a rep movement gets.

Member X

These 'kuvarsit' ones are the ones that Mary supplies for $100 or so?

I need to get some practice on 6497 disassembly and reassembly so I can actually service my own! :lol: I should really be able to do the swap but tbh I don't trust myself not to scratch the dial or hands :(

I think Mary sells them too. I have only seen them on the kuvarsit site.

Not the easiest thing to put hands on, one slip and it's over. With the new thicker dials, there's VERY little clearance for the seconds hand.

Member X

I am dumb..

The kuvarsit site is...?? :unsure:

not to make you feel any more inadequate, but kuvarsitwatch.com

Member X

haha No worries, I already feel 99% inadequate so a bit more won't hurt ;):lol:

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Member X

Ok, so without linking...

This is the jobbie?

kuvarsitwatch.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=31298

Are they a Trusted Dealer on the boards? Guaranteed reship if seized? I really can't say I've heard of them before :unsure:

That's it. The only problem is the bridges are printed, not engraved with the OP stuff. It's very clean and hard to see unless it's under a loupe though.

cala1981

So, has anyone ordered from kuvarsitwatch in a while? Good or bad luck? They have the same model with the same movement that asiakrono has for $200 less.

Edited by cala1981

Wiz

Funny reading that thread after all that happened...

@cala: Contact a dealer and ask for the so called "platinum plated high beat 6497".