Sign in to follow this  
dollydagger

Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute second hand popped off

dollydagger

Hey all!

First, I want to say how awesome this forum is. I've been reading it like crazy and you guys are a huge help! I just purchased this Navitimer and I think it's a great piece. However, the second hand has recently popped off and is now tumbling around freely under the crystal. I'm all about getting my hands dirty and learning how to make my own repairs. I just thought I'd pick some brains before I do something stupid.

I'm basically looking for a brief step by step on how to tackle the issue (removing the back plate etc) and what tools I'll need to get the job done. I'm all for picking up a good set of tools anyway, for just such occasions. Any advice will help, and I apologize in advance if I'm asking a question that has already been answered (I've looked all over the forums and can't find anything).

On a side note, can I still wear it with the second needle loose like that? It doesn't look like it's going anywhere and I don't think it's small enough to fall into the date window.

PS. The bezzle feels just a little loose as well. I can shift it side to side ever so slightly and the dial moves just a tad with it. Not a big deal, but while I'm asking questions...

Thanks a bunch! I'm looking forward to a long relationship with these forums!

10:10 Watch Repair

It might be a more complicated project than you want to take on, but here's how to go about it:

Get the RWG toolkit, you can find a link in the RWG store sub forum.

Open the watch back, always protect parts with watch paper, or wear latex gloves, finger cots, etc. Remove the two case clamps with a screwdriver and tweezers, Remove the stem by pressing the release which is inside the watch where the stem enters the movement. Take the movement out.

While viewing under a 5x loupe carefully place the hand in it's place and press with a hands presser with the smallest, or no hole.

Here's where it gets tricky. It may be that at the factory the hand wasn't pressed enough and just fell off. There's a good likelihood that the hand's tube is slightly too large, in which case it needs to be tightened, which is usually done with a pin vise.

For the bezel on a Breitling, it's common that the screws holding a bezel retaining ring work their way loose. To fix it, you need to pop out the crystal, carefully pry out the bezel insert, then tighten the ring, this time adding red locktite. While you're at it, the gaskets should get lubed. Those crystals are tight, so to reinstall you should have a crystal press.

Good luck, there are a couple of us here who can help if you get into trouble or don't want to tackle this yourself.

MikeMcNair

X2 from above, very well said!