Sign in to follow this  
Galactus

Another Chronomat B01 / 44 review....

Galactus

Hey, I believe we are going to build the ultimate Breitling B01 (but now it is called Chronomat 44 by Breitling) community!

So, after Mondeov6, Del and Silverspeed here comes the third review of this watch... my Narikaa Breitling Chronomat 44.

It is my first Breitling and I wanted something decently priced to find out if I like them. Therefore my choice of the Narikaa offer.

The price is in line wiht the other guys watches but there are a few differencies. Mine too is a Quartz version but first difference w/others: it read Quartz in red just above the 6 counter where "Automatic" is supposed to be... Obviously the main seconds hand works as chrono seconds hand. The subdials are as follow:

• a 24h display @3, even thoug the indeces are for something else, since the scale is up to 30 (like gen ;) ),
  • small ticking secs @6 and
  • minute chrono @9.

Now, second difference: other replicas had a 24 scale @3. Third difference (and a bad one at that) is that the dial is not alinged with the rehaut. See the gen here:

chronomat44_1-thumb-350xauto-198.jpg

The dial is supposed to be in line with the rehaut numbers/indeces but in my watch it sits far lower in the case. The other replicas reviewd on RWG had correct rehaut/dial matching. There are of course other evident errors, like subdial spacing and finish, and a not perfect clasp, but the thing that bugs me more is the size of the watch itself. I mesured 45mm at bezel diameter (not considering the handling spot), so my guess is the case it is at least 46mm, which is 2mm more: too much!

That's a pity because I like the watch: In fact it is solid and well built, shiny in its all metal finish, with a decent pearl and a nice lume (albeit really fast-dying) but it is just too big for me!

So here is my question: is there a Breitling model out there that has the following features:

• case in the 40/42 mm range
  • all metal (incl. bracelet)
  • not a time bomb
  • decently similar to the gen

?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Finally, let me say great service as usual from Reg, and great price too. At 68£ this is still a big deal.

And now to the pics.

Close up of the face (check the rehaut/dial fit):

dscn06332.jpg

Believe me, it's not easy to figure out how to resize the bracelet! Thanks God we have Google!!!!

dscn06441.jpg

Side view (is it too deep?):

dscn06361.jpg

Bezel detail:

dscn06411.jpg

Lume:

dscn06471.jpg

Comparo w/IWC Ingy Mission Earth 46mm (the Breit looks even bigger!):

dscn06521t.jpg

Cheers

mondeov6

An interresting and good review! Some of the differences compared to a gen becomes very obvious when you compare pictures. But never the less...it is a great looking

watch for the money. The IWC is a very nice watch!! Of course it also has a couple of flaws compared to the gen but is really nice and well built. Another "great value for the

money" - watch. I am very pleased with mine! :D

Thank's for sharing!

Luthier

Never heard about Breitling 44. It is Breitling Chronomat B01, and nothing else, look on gen. website.

This watch is 44,5mm size, maybe, quartz version is bigger, no idea.

And last - ULTIMATE watch with quartz engine??? Doesn't worth it, IMHO.

Take good SOSF for modding, great watch.

Galactus

Many thanks guys for the nice words and suggestions, I'll look at the SOSF. Is it decently sized or is it the same wall clock? ah-ah.

As for your question Luthier, I think Breitling switched from B01 to 44 since early 2011: http://www.breitling.com/en/models/chronomat/chronomat-44/presentation/

and http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_details/Windrider_254.html

Ciao,