Sign in to follow this  
Member X

Homage Cali Dial B&R BR01

Member X

So, I was looking at this on ebay for ages and wondering if I should get it or not as I love the B&Rs but I've never been keen on Cali dials.

However, recently I've started being quite attracted to Cali Dials so I thought why not, it's worth a punt. It's a Parnis so I know the quality is going to be good, and if I hate it then I can always flog it on here or somewhere else!

Anyway, it turned up and I do actually love it :D

Usual A6497 handwind affair but engraved this time, with, amazingly, a pretty good (i.e. matt) PVD finish and what looks like some AR, although it's always difficult to tell on a completely flat bit of glass lol

Strap is the wrong shape for a B&R but remarkably good quality, much better than the usual plasticky affairs! I have however won a cheap croc one which should be arriving soon, and I've got a carbon fibre altstrap that was gifted to me by a kind person on another forum :D as well as a rep rubber B&R strap on the quartz 01-94 chrono that was also gifted to me by someone else(!) but I've successfully lost one of the strap hex screws so I am, er, screwed...

Anyway, on with the pics! Let me know what you think :)

dscf1592x.jpg

dscf1603z.jpg

dscf1596.jpg

dscf1608.jpg

dscf1614p.jpg

Rubbish pics but hey ho lol

P_Diddy

Just looked at the back, is that a big black PARNIS on your wrist :D

greg_r

Love the movement - not 100% convinced about a cali dial in a BR01, but it might grow on me :D Nice pickup!

Member X
Just looked at the back, is that a big black PARNIS on your wrist :)

lol It is :gunbandana:

I wasn't sure about the cali dial either but it's crisp and clear in the flesh and is definitely nothing like what I've seen before, so I like the individuality :D

It's ripe for a massive amount of lume though ;) so I'm considering if I can send it to Ziggy... I want to get the BP done too (as well as get that serviced) but by the time I've shipped them to Germany and then Canada, and paid for everything, I'm looking at about £250... :D

greg_r
Just looked at the back, is that a big black PARNIS on your wrist :)

lol It is ;)

I wasn't sure about the cali dial either but it's crisp and clear in the flesh and is definitely nothing like what I've seen before, so I like the individuality :D

It's ripe for a massive amount of lume though ;) so I'm considering if I can send it to Ziggy... I want to get the BP done too (as well as get that serviced) but by the time I've shipped them to Germany and then Canada, and paid for everything, I'm looking at about £250... :D

And that, in a nutshell, is why I don't send my watches off for servicing and lume etc - $250 is another good rep. One of these days (probably when I retire, at this rate ;)), I'll start doing a little watch modding myself, but for now I'm just going to upset AT again and be happy with them the way they are :gunbandana:

Member X

lol

I just want some decent lume! The BP is acceptable - for about 4 10 minutes, then it's pants :D The rest are standard rep lume so rubbish lol

I think I'm going to try to get another of the panjian PAM homages for cheap and then use it as practice to take apart, re-lume and put back together. I'd feel bad if I fecked a good watch up but not as bad as if wrecked my only one!

greg_r

I guess I'm lucky as I have several PAMs with reasonable lume and one with good (the Fiddy, which isn't quite up to superlume standards but is close enough).

If I had the spare time, I'd certainly be tempted to re-lume most of my sandwich dials (which appears to be a very straightforward job), but I already have several hobbies that I don't have time for, so re-luming watches is going to have to go on the end of the list :D

By the way - the cali dial is definitely growing on me :D

Member X

I knew it :D lol

Member X

As per my other two BR01 threads, new strap has been won for this! :woo:

I did win a black croc-effect leather strap with black thread a while ago off the same guy that I got this one (and the other ones) from but I never mounted it because I didn't have a spare buckle to use. The strap guy was good enough to sort me out some B&R buckles for about $8 each, which was a better price than I could get elsewhere so I bought three, to go on the three straps I won! lol

Anyway, this one is a massive improvement over the first one I got off him. Loads thicker, better cut, better finish, much sturdier, better fit at the lugs. He's taken some stick on the gen B&R forum so I'm glad to see that he's sorted his act out and is getting slowly better. I'm also glad that no-one's buying his stuff yet as it means I've got some bargains :) LoL

So, this one is black croc effect leather with white stitching this time. I think it's great as the white picks out the dial :D

dscf2626.jpg

dscf2627gp.jpg

dscf2638.jpg

dscf2639mv.jpg

dscf2646i.jpg