Sign in to follow this  
JoeyB

How the Hell is the 21J Regulated???

JoeyB

I bought a rep Rolex DSSD V3 with the 21J movement a few months ago. Beautiful watch. I've been trying to regulate the damn thing since. It has a great reserve, but speeds up and slows down at will.

Yesterday I set it at 9:00 A.M. and haven't touched it at all. At noon it was 21 seconds slow. By 3:00 P.M. it was 56 seconds slow. At 9:00 P.M. it was 1 minute and 37 seconds slow. At 1:00 A.M. it was 56 seconds slow. And at 9:00 A.M. this morning it was 2 seconds fast.

I'm ready to sell this thing. Is this 'normal' for the 21J??

AllergyDoc

To my knowledge, it's not normal. I don't think it can be regulated, though, because it speeds up, then slows down. Very odd. Maybe RA knows more about it.

RolexAddict

I have 2 watches with that kind of movement, I speak about the movement used to power the Beginmariner from Josh 2 years ago, very smooth sweeping, I am sure we talk about the same movement,

But the same symptoms : if you are to much glued behind, you will observe + or - variations during short periods of time. Let it run, check only once every 24 hours, you will observe it runs sharp.

I agree, very good power reserve

I never desassembled completely these Asian movements, I have not really experience with.

Also I have the same observations with ETA's if I check every hours, it same to run with crazy + or - but with a only 24 hours checking I get a plus or less 5 to 8 seconds.

Edited by RolexAddict

Member X

LoL This happens with my BP - anywhere from about 8 minutes fast to 8 minutes slow, but always seems to come back round to being almost right...

AllergyDoc

And I forgot to ask if you're wearing it all the time. Movements can runner faster or slower if they're laid different ways; i.e., crystal down, crystal up, on the side, etc.

sconehead

Might be teaching you to suck eggs Joey but is the watch in the same position before you're checking it? (ie. face up, on it's side crown up, face down etc. as this can have an affect on whether a watch runs fast/slow.) Obviously this isn't running right but if you are leaving it in different positions it is impossible to have a datum from which to work from when regulating.

If the movement turns out to be u/s why not swap it out as they're cheap as chips...

edit: beaten to it by Doc...bugger...

JoeyB

I made certain to keep conditions the same, and with no deviation. I lay the watch on it's side. crown up. When laid down flat it stops running.

The 24 hour I did had the watch on it's side, and it was not moved or touched at all.

My other 21J is in a Rolex Gold President, and it is a steady gain of 4 seconds in 24 hours. My two ETAs in the GMTs are very much right on, each gaining about 2 seconds a week.

From what I see here some others have the same issue. It's weird! Right at 24 hours it gets to where it's supposed to be!

greg_r

I had a gen Bvlgari that was like that....

sconehead
I made certain to keep conditions the same, and with no deviation. I lay the watch on it's side. crown up. When laid down flat it stops running.

The 24 hour I did had the watch on it's side, and it was not moved or touched at all.

My other 21J is in a Rolex Gold President, and it is a steady gain of 4 seconds in 24 hours. My two ETAs in the GMTs are very much right on, each gaining about 2 seconds a week.

From what I see here some others have the same issue. It's weird! Right at 24 hours it gets to where it's supposed to be!

Flat down stops running? Could be the balance wheel isn't seated correctly or the staff pivot is broken on one of it's ends Joey. Wouldn't you attempt a movement swap?

edit: any macro shots of the balance assembly?

RolexAddict

As sconehead said, its diffcult to get something consistant and precise in regulation without precise rules.

Even if the movement has been well assembled, oiled etc... I would say, if servicing a movement is a job, regulation is still another job

sconehead

Just a quicky on regulating. I always wear my watch for at least 24hrs after I've made an adjustment. After all, you want it to be as accurate as possible on the wrist, not sitting on your bedside cabinet...:D

JoeyB

OK, it is official. I hate this watch.

I decided to wear the watch today, only the 2nd time I've worn it since I got it in April. At precisely 4:37 on my cell phone I checked my DSSD which read 4:36:57. As I looked at it, it ticked 3 seconds...and stopped.

Now, I am a decent looking fellow, if I do say so myself, never had a problem getting the better looking ladies, and have been called or told I was "handsome" by many.

I do not have a face that stops a clock.

This is unacceptable. The watch goes.

I shook it, and it ran until I got home and took it off, laid it on my desk. I looked at it, it stopped.

The watch goes.

I shook it again, laid it on it's side and it's been running since.

I am not knowledgeable or talented enough to change the movement. I certainly would not try to work on the balance wheel, or other workings. I appreciate SA's and sconey's advice, but I don't have your guy's skill level.

The watch goes.

I emailed the dealer I bought it from, and he is not demonstrating much service, he said I've had it 6 months, too long. Another dealer took care of me on another watch a year after I bought it. I haven't decided yet if I will make a post about that, complete with emails.

Besides, the damn thing insulted me.

The watch goes.

Did I mention that the watch goes? :D

KBH

Does it stop while face up and run while face down?

I've had a couple of 6497/8's that do that and I could tell you how to fix it. Of course, that doesn't really help with an A21j.

iabounty

Welcome to the wonderful world of replica watches. Some are really great for the money and others need a little nudge...

My favorite is my Rolex TT DateJust from Lawrence with MOP dial. I spent $59 US Dollars on including shipping. Smooth 21J but if over wound will stop if not worn or when wound down will run a little slower than normal. I found that if I wear it a few hours after work in the evening or all day on the weekends after winding a few turns of the crown we get along just fine... By the way I'm way too cheap to ever buy the Gen......And I hate quartz watches.....So this is my Hell I suppose.... :D

(The reps I own I don't wear much seem to keep perfect time.... Go figure....)

JoeyB
Does it stop while face up and run while face down?

I've had a couple of 6497/8's that do that and I could tell you how to fix it. Of course, that doesn't really help with an A21j.

It stops face up, runs on it's side. I never tried it face down.

JoeyB
Welcome to the wonderful world of replica watches. Some are really great for the money and others need a little nudge...

It needs a hammer.

This one insulted me.

The watch goes.

I know the Glide-Lock clasp is worth $45, and it has a solid mid link. So, I might just take it and try to modify the bracelet to my GMTII and put the clasp on the GMTc. That leaves the case, domed crystal, ceramic insert and the offending movement. The movement gets the hammer.hammer.gif

KBH

After looking at the 21j movement this advice may not be at all helpful. But, I've had 2 problems with 6498 and 6497 movements that would randomly stop while laid down face up and would be fine laying face down.

On those movement the balance wheel goes round and round right under another gear wheel. After hours of comtemplation I figured that the only thing that could be causing this bizarreness would be that the balance wheel is actually rubbing the gear wheel. I unloosened the bridge screw that holds the top of the balance wheel and put some pressure on it in the direction which would move the edge of the balance wheel away from the other gear and re-tightened the screw. In both cases it solved the problem.

Like I say, this may not even apply to your problem, but it's probably worth filing away in the back part of the brain.

fakemaster

It is stopping when the dial is up? I would say one of the balance wheel spokes is hitting the underside of one of regulator arms.

JoeyB

Not knowing what the hell I was doing, I decided I couldn't make it worse, so I played with the movement. The adjustment lever is circled in the pic, and the other bigger lever next to it is what I decided to move. I had read somewhere on one of the forums, can't remeber which, to never move that bigger lever. It was as far as it could go counter-clockwise, so I moved it just a bit clockwise.

That was Sunday and it's been running in all positions since. I've got the watch regulated to where it is gaining about 30 seconds a day, it is adjusting close to right now, and I will get it closer to accurate. I think I got lucky!

183673-6508.jpg

KBH

Way to go Joey. Can we start sending our watches to you for repair now?

RolexAddict

to make simple as possible, one arm or leg, call it as you like, bent or relaxs the spiral, the other one is just a guide line,

bent= fast running, detend= slow running,

you need to "play" and find the good relationship between the guide which prints a spiral dynamic trajectory and the other arm which gives less or more power

RA's explications ......... a mix of technologies : watches/aircrafts/guns/beer/boobs... :tomaatit::D

the best is to bring the watch to a horlogist equiped to regulate properly the movement,

AllergyDoc
to make simple as possible, one arm or leg, call it as you like, bent or relaxs the spiral, the other one is just a guide line,

bent= fast running, detend= slow running,

you need to "play" and find the good relationship between the guide which prints a spiral dynamic trajectory and the other arm which gives less or more power

:D

Uh, what?

RA + :tomaatit: = help%20wanted.gif

RolexAddict

No....... I drink water only :beerjump::morebeer::thumbsup:

greg_r

I know that kind of water. We call it falling down water over here.... :thumbsup::beerjump:

JoeyB
Way to go Joey. Can we start sending our watches to you for repair now?

OK! I am the MAN!!! 2 seconds fast in 30+ hours wearing it the last 24 hours.

Yes! I can do that!!p_2604713.jpg