Sign in to follow this  
SteveA

Whats your thoughts on "vintage" reps ?

SteveA

Personally I cant understand the fascination with old looking scratched/distressed watches on dodgy worn leather straps etc.But some people work extremely hard to make them look like this and strangely to me some people even like wearing them !I like shiny new things,suppose Iam a bit of a Magpie, and buff screatches out straight away to keep things nice.

What do you think about these pseudo vintage reps ?

g.man

I love 'em, but I also like shiny new watches too. I guess there's room in my heart for both.

regards

g.man

Cynikal.Mindset

what's the point of buying a rep of a model that is supposed to be like 50yrs old and have it look brand new? ya gotta make that shit look "authentically old" some vintagized reps look a little too used for my liking but hey when you have some bogus story to go along with it like you found it scuba diving the great barrier reef and you brought it up, cleaned it up and got it working again then I guess that works

Baldrick

Pseudo vintage watches are for pseudo Kampfschwimmers, Webnet stealthy ninjas, Special Forces slack jawed slavering gumps who dream of a life outside the accounts dept or daydream between asking customers if they want Diet or Regular with their fries, whilst contemplating spending their tips on the latest piece of keech masquerading as a klutz-made beauty replete with wonky stitching, hairy unfinished edges and usually some kind of pus yellow colour, selling at an exorbitant price, and feted by bad taste bears.

I'm with you on polished immaculacy, :)

g.man

I didn't know you were Polish? Do you know my friend Krysztof?

regards

g.man

AllergyDoc

I'm with you, Steve. If I'm wearing something that looks old, I want it to look old because I, or someone else, has worn it for years.

sconehead

tssssssssssk...vintage stuff is fun, personally I don't have $100,000 to blow on a gen but I can accrue the parts and build a close facsimile. Plus building it gives me a tremendous sense of self satisfaction...Balders, just 'cos you have ham hands and maybe can't accomplish such a task, stop talking gibberish...and I don't work at MacD's or in accounts...:P

...and hi Doc...:D

powderfreak

Vintage watches and stuff are nice, but I want my stuff to look old, not (ab)used! Just like with gens I prefere the NOS (looking) watches, not the beaten up ones that look like they were hidden in a cow's ass for a couple of years...

There is no need for me to make something look "extra" vintage - I wear my vintage Seamaster when I plan on doing stuff that might scratch my watch etc.

Over time, that makes it look natural, but I don't see any sense in taking a screwdriver and trying to find the best technique for "realistic scratches".

Baldrick

Tssssk, filthy monkey, just you get snapping.

I know you don't work, you're a Scouser FFS.

@wee g.man

Do you know my friend Krysztof?

No, but if you hum the first three bars, I'm sure it'll come to mind B)

g.man
:rofl:

Gazillionaire
tssssssssssk...vintage stuff is fun, personally I don't have $100,000 to blow on a gen but I can accrue the parts and build a close facsimile. Plus building it gives me a tremendous sense of self satisfaction...Balders, just 'cos you have ham hands and maybe can't accomplish such a task, stop talking gibberish...and I don't work at MacD's or in accounts......and hi Doc...

Burger King?

RichardMiami

The only thing that looks old when I wear a watch is ME :brightlight:

Gazillionaire
The only thing that looks old when I wear a watch is ME

Lol, I like the vintage watches and straps. I also like certain clothing items that are distressed, jeans for example. With clothing it's generally an age/generation gap that divides opinion. My father wouldn't contemplate wearing distressed jeans yet I pay premium prices for the likes of Prps, Edwin denim etc.

Perhaps this is the same with Watches that are purposefully made to look distressed/Vintage?

sconehead
tssssssssssk...vintage stuff is fun, personally I don't have $100,000 to blow on a gen but I can accrue the parts and build a close facsimile. Plus building it gives me a tremendous sense of self satisfaction...Balders, just 'cos you have ham hands and maybe can't accomplish such a task, stop talking gibberish...and I don't work at MacD's or in accounts......and hi Doc...

Burger King?

...well it's been said I have a whopper...:Whistle:

Gazillionaire

Burger King?

...well it's been said I have a whopper...

Who said that, Onze? :wink:

powderfreak

The only thing that looks old when I wear a watch is ME :brightlight:

Haha so you look like the vintage builds on RG? :giggle:

Kipper

not the beaten up ones that look like they were hidden in a cow's ass for a couple of years...

:clap: What a fine description :thumbsup2:

Luthier

Personally I cant understand the fascination with old looking scratched/distressed watches on dodgy worn leather straps etc.But some people work extremely hard to make them look like this and strangely to me some people even like wearing them !I like shiny new things,suppose Iam a bit of a Magpie, and buff screatches out straight away to keep things nice.

What do you think about these pseudo vintage reps ?

+1.

KeNnY

dsc0072dh.jpg

IS this called vintage ?

wat44

roll up, roll up

haters out you come!

Gazillionaire
dsc0072dh.jpg

IS this called vintage ?

Nope

RichardMiami

Vintage collector:

h2g2-man.jpg

Gazillionaire
Vintage collector:

h2g2-man.jpg

Dad??

RichardMiami

Son?

gaz.png

Gazillionaire
Son?

gaz.png

:lmao: You knew when he left for LA things were going to change!!