Sign in to follow this  
wat44

Robert - the more this news sinks in

pollux1

Benson&Hedges or Regal?

onionbag

Aye pollux...wee Regal, that would be my guess.

kolchak

Parlament?

opus9

Marlboro Lights my guess. I smoke L&M and I hate the bloody habit...it's an awful habit and not as easy as some would make out to kick...

mickey1

Parlament?

Do not know a thing about cigs apart from knowing what Robert smoked - If there is a brand Parlament, would of been a suitable name

Dr Yan

I guess rothmans and if we're allowed two guesses my other would be dunhill

mickey1

Marlboro Lights my guess. I smoke L&M and I hate the bloody habit...it's an awful habit and not as easy as some would make out to kick...

Unfortunately Robert would not of smoked lights, [impossible for him to do anything by half], not that they could be any better for anyone, can you believe it Robert never thought or ever mentioned giving up.

andygt

Embassy?

I remember him mentioning trying e-cigs - he just said he ended up smoking the e-cig in between normal cigarettes!

Member X

Embassy?

I remember him mentioning trying e-cigs - he just said he ended up smoking the e-cig in between normal cigarettes!

:rofl:

Aren

Welcome and Regards to Annette, Stacey and condolences to you, and especially your Mum.

I had a very different personal experience with Robert than many here.

Robert was always a gent and very polite to me.

His wits were clever and funny where I was concerned and I was pleased to know him, even if only here.

We had private chats and exchanged many pleasantries.

We talked about travel and world events, his eye problem and ... even watches :lol:

He would tell me which watches were junk/cheapies and what to wait for...when to save my pennies and what was a good buy.

He was very helpful and patient, but I did my own due diligence before I ordered watches.

What was always marked about his opinions of noobs and nooblike behaviour was that anyone could be so emotionally, mentally, and psychologically invested in the in the purchase of a $100 watch. So consumed by it as to turn their life on end in the acquisition process. He always called it "madness." The very idea that the purchase of any $100 item could be perceived as a life and death event to so many was ludicrous to him. He didn't want any part of that craziness. He spoke of those folks as if the purchase and acquisition of a $100 watch was the consumption of the soul by someone possessed. It was the source of exacerbation in his dealings which some buyers (justifiably) perceived to be rude.

So many confuse frankness with rudeness when their egos are involved.

I appreciated Robert's comradeship and honesty.

I am pleased to say that I had none of that possession energy.

None of my experiences with Robert were unpleasant in any way.

I feel privileged to have seen another side of Robert and honoured to call him my friend here.

To me, Robert was always very nice and there was a kindness in him that was rarely revealed here.

He spent long hours trying to help a suffering member through a bad divorce and other kindnesses unknown to many.

Robert was not one dimensional.

Our internet persona cannot help but to speak somewhat of a lie about us.

For that reason, I express my sentiments about Robert.

He will be greatly and sadly missed here.

We can all always get another watch, but Robert is one of a kind and uniquely irreplaceable.

Sadly missed doesn't begin to cover it.

Robert is and will continue to be a Legend here.

:wub: to all

Amit

It's been a little while since I read this thread. I know the passing of Robert affected us all in different ways.

Can I firstly say to Mickey1 thank you so much for being here, and also i would like to express my sincere condolences to you and your family and friends of Robert's.

I'm sure you can tell we all miss him here very much.

I always looked forward to catching him in the SB or even via PM's, could always guarantee he could liven up the site whenever he was online.

Very sad that i missed the opportunity to meet him in Thailand, it was more out of bad timing than anything else.

Would love to see more of you online here and especially with some candid stories about Robert.

Truly sad that a friend and great person has left us.

Wish you all the best for the future.

Oh by the way i reckon he would have been a JPS smoker....am i right? am i??

dhfc

Please don't tell me he rolled his own ffs

trailboss99

I'd guess he smoked whatever he was busy smuggling into the EU at the time

Only man I know who upon being told a brand and model of white goods could tell you exactly how many cartons of cigs could be stuffed into it. :D

mickey1

I'd guess he smoked whatever he was busy smuggling into the EU at the time ;)

Think that is what most people would of thought - but no he was really fussy about what he smoked, which is a joke when they are all so bad for your health. I have no doubt that he tried all - smuggled etc; but he smoked Dunhill and not duty free ones [at that you must laugh], according to him the duty free ones tasted different, goodness only knows what that meant,[typical Robert he did explain it to me once a long time ago], but even when he was in UK he would spends pounds on buying packets in shops and did not care that he could of bought them cheaper on his way home to UK. I am sure the longer I am on here you will learn so much about the man. I have too much free time at the moment as I only work during the summer months, so at least by being on here, the time passes quickly and stops me thinking of him with sadness as all of you thought so much of him. But soon sorting out his business is going to occupy me full time I am sure.

mickey1

I guess rothmans and if we're allowed two guesses my other would be dunhill

Second guess correct.

mickey1

Only man I know who upon being told a brand and model of white goods could tell you exactly how many cartons of cigs could be stuffed into it. :D

I believe it, I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl...

mickey1

I believe it, I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl...but pleased to say he never ever got involved in any kind of way with drugs.

trailboss99

Na,no way. Even tho he would have had a moral objection to drug running a simple profit/loss tally would tell him there was more money in smokes than powder so the business man in him would have rejected the idea outright as well. Making my hair curl however would take a lot of doing. I said Robert and I had a fair bit in common remember ;)

A quote one of the lads just found is below. A new member had asked which model Omega Sea master the members preferred.

snapback.pngprestigewatchco, on 24 November 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:I think the second watch is nicer to be honest,

Who the hell would feel comfortable walking around wearing a copy 007 watch unless they were packing a copy waltham PPK and drinking martini shaken not stirred

Unless of course you drive a 1965 Aston martin DB5

Luthier

Yeah, remember that... It was one of his last posts...

dave47

What a joy as one of Robert's devoted sister's to read your posts about my unforgetable brother, anyone who knew Robert has a tale to tell about him so he will always be remembered, so he may be gone but not forgotten. Only wish one of us could take his place on this site and enjoy shout as he did.

Happy New Year To You All from Robert's family.

We share in your sorrow, Mickey; and, like you, revel in memories of him. He WAS indeed one colorful character, and you always knew where you stood with him. Very refreshing. He will be with you and with the rest of us as long as we draw breath. Blessings to you and your family.

dave

Aren

snapback.pngprestigewatchco, on 24 November 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:I think the second watch is nicer to be honest,

Who the hell would feel comfortable walking around wearing a copy 007 watch unless they were packing a copy waltham PPK and drinking martini shaken not stirred

Unless of course you drive a 1965 Aston martin DB5

Robert's quote here is particularly funny... a Freudian slip

since Walther is a gun and Waltham is a watch. :lol: