Sign in to follow this  
Luthier

www.ubid.com

Luthier

WOOOWWW.......

http://www.ubid.com/watches/?pagtp=1

http://www.ubid.com/Romilly+Drake+Automati...410-c33-s1.html

44mm... 35 stones... $37... Somebody pinch me!!!

44mm x 14.5mm gold tone stainless steel case

Screw-down case back

Curved mineral crystal

Exhibition back w/ decorated Côtes de Genève bridges & rotor

Lug screw attachments

-Movement-

Automatic MS 2L27 movement w/ 35 jewels

R-1.jpg

R-2.jpg

R-3.jpg

http://www.jeanromilly.com/romilly/index.aspx

AllergyDoc

Just goes to show, the cheapie reps with these functions are overpriced at $80-90.

Comparative value: $1000-1400. :irish_dance:

Luthier
Just goes to show, the cheapie reps with these functions are overpriced at $80-90.

Comparative value: $1000-1400. :irish_dance:

About movements - country of origin:

http://www.jeanromilly.com/romilly/msrp.aspx#3

;)

greg_r

LOL - that guy again....

this is the guy who makes up watch brands, invents a back story for 'em and puts up web sites. He then starts selling cheap but flashy chinese watches on eBay, uBid and a couple of other sites. There's potential to get a nice-looking watch for very little money, so it's not really a rip-off, but newbs get sucked in by the backstory and frequently bid way too high.

He's been doing this for years - I kinda admire his chutzpah, to tell the truth....

trailboss99

For anywhere near $37 that's a nice watch! I like that.

Yeah, the guy has more front than a force 10 hurricane!

Col.

JohnG
LOL - that guy again....

this is the guy who makes up watch brands, invents a back story for 'em and puts up web sites. He then starts selling cheap but flashy chinese watches on eBay, uBid and a couple of other sites. There's potential to get a nice-looking watch for very little money, so it's not really a rip-off, but newbs get sucked in by the backstory and frequently bid way too high.

He's been doing this for years - I kinda admire his chutzpah, to tell the truth....

But the "backstory" isn't really a backstory at all. He basically says, "Johan Oberlussenstrasser was a great scientist and astronomer. He developed a new technique for griding telescope lenses. His shop also built precision timepieces for the recording of astronomical observations. The Oberlussenstrasser Chronograph honors achievements that even today continue to shape our lives...."

He never actually says they founded the company, or even that the company is more than six months old.

greg_r
LOL - that guy again....

But the "backstory" isn't really a backstory at all. He basically says, "Johan Oberlussenstrasser was a great scientist and astronomer. He developed a new technique for griding telescope lenses. His shop also built precision timepieces for the recording of astronomical observations. The Oberlussenstrasser Chronograph honors achievements that even today continue to shape our lives...."

He never actually says they founded the company, or even that the company is more than six months old.

Yup - exactly. He just comes up with something that has the right kind of tone and assumes that people won't really pay much attention. Works, too. He also sells watches under Bernoulli, Eberle, Wohler, Louis Richard and several other brands. All of 'em made up. All of 'em with websites that 'confirm' the high RRP he quotes. Very nice little scam - and some of the watches are really genuinely nice - albeit inexpensively made. He charges a lot of money for p&p to make sure he covers his costs and then just banks on the gullible to bid too high. Slick little operation, and he's been doing this for years.

Luthier

But where actually these watches made?

greg_r
But where actually these watches made?

The usual rep factories.

Rats

Went on a web site selling "romilly" and found some interesting stuff like a "genuine leather strap that slips around your wrist and it appears that most months have 39 days, gees, I did not know that. I added some of their blurb below.

For the explorer in you there is the 'Cabot' from the elegant Romilly collection. The golden skeleton design is decedent it and of itself, but then you happen upon the 4 separate complications that offer their own additions to the timekeeping whole. An opulent stainless steel case has been gifted with a dual coin edge frame as well, even as a thick, genuine leather strap slips around your wrist.

Note: After the 31st, the date mechanism will continue to run through until it reaches ‘39’. To correct this, you will need to advance the window until it reaches ‘01’ again.

-Movement-

Automatic HZ2495 movement w/ 20 jewels

-Case-

43mm x 13.75mm stainless steel case

Screw-down case back

Curved mineral crystal

Exhibition back w/ decorated gold tone bridges & rotor

Lug screw attachments

-Dial-

Skeleton dial w/ gold tone Pearlage finish

Big date indicator

Month subsidiary dial

Combination 24-hour & day/night subsidiary dial

Day subsidiary dial

-Band-

200mm x 20mm genuine stitched leather strap

-Water resistant-

up to 5 ATM

Indulge yourself in the classic style of Romilly.

For more information: www.jeanromilly.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE READ BEFORE BIDDING

PLEASE DO NOT BID UNLESS YOU INTEND TO PURCHASE THIS ITEM. BY BIDDING, YOU AGREE TO AUCTION'S CONDITIONS. I MUST RECEIVE PAYMENT OR NOTIFICATION OF YOUR METHOD OF PAYMENT WITHIN 3 DAYS. OTHERWISE, I WILL RELIST THIS ITEM AND YOU WILL BE REPORTED TO EBAY AS A NON-PAYING BIDDER.

greg_r

Yup - they're all basic 21Js, so 'Big Date' features go up to 39 and you have all the usual gotchas you find in $50 reps. Often look very nice, though.

AllergyDoc

Why go to all this effort to sell a $40 watch?

Member X

Because $40 x lots = lots and lots :)

greg_r
Why go to all this effort to sell a $40 watch?

Because they frequently sell them for a helluva lot more than $40. Big profit margins.

Fiddo
Went on a web site selling "romilly" and found some interesting stuff like a "genuine leather strap that slips around your wrist and it appears that most months have 39 days, gees, I did not know that. I added some of their blurb below.

Note: After the 31st, the date mechanism will continue to run through until it reaches ‘39’. To correct this, you will need to advance the window until it reaches ‘01’ again.

Jim- "Hey Fiddo, what's today's date?

Fiddo- "It's the 36th."

Jim- "Oh.....thanks"

AllergyDoc

:lol:

At least they'd never ask again.