Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Rolex DateJust with white sunburst dial

greg_r

It seems to be the Subs and other Rolex 'sport' watches that get all the love, but I've always had a soft spot for the Datejust and Day/Date. I've owned several in the past and a white faced DD was my daily beater for 6 or 7 years. For me they're the classic dress Rolex - often copied, but never bettered.

Rolex updated the ranges a couple of years ago with the DJII and DDII at 41mm, but somehow they just don't quite work for me. They're attractive watches (I have a blue faced DDII), but the proportions just feel 'wrong' somehow. I find myself preferring the original 37mm (or 36mm dependent on how you measure 'em) versions which - though small by modern standards - have a lot of wrist presence and somehow feel larger than they are.

When my long-term 'beater' DD finally died, I bought a cheapie 21J replacement from Lawrence, but didn't keep it long as whilst it was great value for money, it just didn't feel as good as the one it was replacing. I've intended to buy a higher-quality version ever since, but only just got around to actually doing it.

I went for the Datejust rather than the DD this time. I prefer the DD range, but there isn't a stainless steel version of the gen and that's what I wanted: Stainless steel, Jubilee bracelet, white dial and either stick or roman markers. Then I saw this beautiful Datejust with white sunburst dial and realised "that's the one for me!"

The watch has a high-beat movement (allegedly ETA, but I haven't had the back off yet - I will check it at the weekend), the date snaps neatly over on the dot of midnight and overall there's little to criticise - this looks and feels quite gen-like and should serve me well for some considerable time. It came via an off-board dealer I've been talking to recently, but should be available from most of the usual suspects for around $230-240.

Anyhow, having satisfied my Rolex craving for a while with this and the 6263, I think it'll be back to Panerai for me next time ;)

Enough drivel - here's some quick iPhone piccies.

rolexdj_white_060112.JPG

rolexdj-2.JPG

rolexdj-w.JPG

jeffw69

Interesting. :)

solkryssare

Nuttin' like a DJ :) Understated class all the way......

KinCaidk

a classic!

Nice buy, G. I like the dial - clean!

greg_r

thanks guys :)

Amit

hmmm that is pretty, if i could find one with stick markers i'd probably go for it.

only thing that puts me off is the rehaut engraving, but hey not really anything to complain about

solkryssare

hmmm that is pretty, if i could find one with stick markers i'd probably go for it.

only thing that puts me off is the rehaut engraving, but hey not really anything to complain about

You soooooo need another fix my friend! Go buy a watch before you explode! ;)

Dssd

Stunning watch, I'm looking to buy one and wasn't sure on the 41 or 36 size

I love the jubilee bracelet on these which I think only came on the 36mm

This thread has made my mind up

Thanks ;)

bklynboy

That's 37mm?

What size is your wrist?

Looks great!

Amit

You soooooo need another fix my friend! Go buy a watch before you explode! ;)

It's not my taste or the fact i'm spoilt for choice. I need some fucking money.

As soon as I get some i'll be buying one of these puppies, or a PO, or a 6263, or a AP diver, or..........

greg_r

That's 37mm?

What size is your wrist?

Looks great!

My wrist is somewhere between 7.5 and 7.75". The angle of the photo does rather make the watch look bigger than it is (bearing in mind that my usual comfort zone is a 47mm Panerai), but also the stated 37mm size on these is rather misleading. Whilst that is indeed the width of the watch (excluding crown), the somewhat elongated design of the strap lugs on these models - which mean that the top to bottom length of the watch is closer to 45mm - make the watch wear larger than you might expect (the same is true of the 6263 Daytona I have).

The only limitation of this watch is if your wrist is any bigger than mine, you're going to need to get some extra links - I didn't have to adjust the bracelet at all - it was a perfect fit right out of the box.

Del

Congrats G - looks very smart, and a bit different from normal DJs too! :thumbsup2:

bklynboy

That's 37mm?

What size is your wrist?

Looks great!

My wrist is somewhere between 7.5 and 7.75". The angle of the photo does rather make the watch look bigger than it is (bearing in mind that my usual comfort zone is a 47mm Panerai), but also the stated 37mm size on these is rather misleading. Whilst that is indeed the width of the watch (excluding crown), the somewhat elongated design of the strap lugs on these models - which mean that the top to bottom length of the watch is closer to 45mm - make the watch wear larger than you might expect (the same is true of the 6263 Daytona I have).

The only limitation of this watch is if your wrist is any bigger than mine, you're going to need to get some extra links - I didn't have to adjust the bracelet at all - it was a perfect fit right out of the box.

Thanks Greg!

My wrist is also 7.5 and my usual is a 45mm PO, have a few variants of the 39mm sub but usually don't go smaller than 40mm

Wouldn't have guessed that about the lugs, was thinking the dial face was larger than the dive watches since the bezel doesn't take up space with 10-20-30-40-50

Might pick up cheapie DJ to see how I like it...

dingle

tssssssssssssssssssk....looks like an old man watch :tease:

:lol:

greg_r

tssssssssssssssssssk....looks like an old man watch :tease:

:finger:

dingle

you know it's true

..........i have one almost identical :rofl:

greg_r

on YOU it's an old man's watch. On me it's style :D

Gazillionaire
on YOU it's an old man's watch. On me it's style

Fighting talk :popcorn:

pollux1

Lovely, and on my favourite type of bracelet too. :wub:

NFleischer

Nice DJ,love that dial. It was always my favorite Rolex and was the first hi -end gen I ever bought as soon as I was able to afford it.

(Mine was Oyster with smooth bezel and white dial also). I've owned alot of reps of them over the years.They never go out of style! Funny, I never was crazy

about the plain black SS Sub

greg_r

Nice DJ,love that dial. It was always my favorite Rolex and was the first hi -end gen I ever bought as soon as I was able to afford it.

(Mine was Oyster with smooth bezel and white dial also). I've owned alot of reps of them over the years.They never go out of style! Funny, I never was crazy

about the plain black SS Sub

Thanks mate. The DJ and DD have always been my favourite Rollies too. I must have owned at least 6 or 7 reps over the years - most of 'em with white dial.

Agree with you about the basic black sub - in fact I may be the only guy on this board who has never owned one! :lol:

Silverspeed

Real nice Datejust....something really classy about those simple Rollies

I had the DJII, which was nice too....hmmmm I can see another one in the near future