Sign in to follow this  
ilikewatches99

Seamaster PO Pumpkin vs Gen comparison and HE question

ilikewatches99

I know this has been ridden more than a dead horse but I am still confuzzled.

I ordered the $318 7750 orange PO from TrustyTime and here is a comparison of my qc to the gen on omega's website. I have circled the problem areas. I am planning to franken this watch so don't care about the hands/dial/bezel. The one thing that bothers me is the HE position. It is listed on his site as correct HE placement, but is clearly not the same as the photo on the Omega website. Can someone with a real PO with the three subdials(not another model) tell me is this is really correct and maybe the photo is wrong on Omega's website?

Also, any obstacles to Frankening this thing? Will a gen dial and hands fit this 7750 modified layout.

Thanks

Here is a list of the issues I see, let me know if I missed one.

The subdial hands on the rep are too short.

The SWISS MADE font is too thick and maybe the tick marks are too thick too on the rep.

The pearl is not centered on the rep.

The lume markers are too big on the rep which is clearly visible when comparing the 12, 6, 3 and 9 markers.

The gen shows a painted omega logo while the rep shows a metal logo(is this a change in production?)

The lettering for the logo looks too thick on the Rep.

The HE Valve on the gen has its center line just below 10 while the rep has it well above 10.

Everything can be fixed with a bezel, dial, hand change out except the HE valve. I don't want to do a franken if this is going to be a big tell.

po-gen-rep-compared.jpg

Crusader

I think it's because of the watch position on the photos, since the top is lean front a bit. Maybe?

ilikewatches99

Gen on the right, Rep on the left.

Crusader

That's what I'm saying :D The gen on the right was photographed 100 % vertical... or horizontal. The rep isn't 100 % vertical or horizontal. That's why the diffrence in He position. Look on other QC pics or ask for few more if possible.

That's why there is bigger distance between rehaut and 6 o'clock marker then rehaut and 12 o'clock marker.

Cynikal.Mindset

So you want a 100% perfect 1:1 rep??? Dude you're being waaaaaaaay too picky maybe you should buy a gen

g.man

He valve on the rep is definitely in the wrong place. That's where it should be on the non-chrono PO's, but on the chrono it should be below the 10pm marker as per your gen photo.

regards

g.man

ilikewatches99

I hope it is the angle. I will have the watch in a week so will know then.

I did not expect a perfect rep which is why I said I didnt care about the dial/hands/bezel, I do expect a near perfect case that I can franken into a near gen though.

g.man

No, I looked at this watch at an AD a couple of days ago and was struck that the HE valve is on the opposite side of the ten position to the non chrono versions. Trust me, you're fucked. The reps are probably all in the same position as the non chrono because no one at the factory has ever bothered to check if the position should be different.

regards

g.man

bill_097

I know this has been ridden more than a dead horse but I am still confuzzled.

I ordered the $318 7750 orange PO from TrustyTime and here is a comparison of my qc to the gen on omega's website. I have circled the problem areas. I am planning to franken this watch so don't care about the hands/dial/bezel. The one thing that bothers me is the HE position. It is listed on his site as correct HE placement, but is clearly not the same as the photo on the Omega website. Can someone with a real PO with the three subdials(not another model) tell me is this is really correct and maybe the photo is wrong on Omega's website?

Also, any obstacles to Frankening this thing? Will a gen dial and hands fit this 7750 modified layout.

Thanks

Here is a list of the issues I see, let me know if I missed one.

The subdial hands on the rep are too short.

The SWISS MADE font is too thick and maybe the tick marks are too thick too on the rep.

The pearl is not centered on the rep.

The lume markers are too big on the rep which is clearly visible when comparing the 12, 6, 3 and 9 markers.

The gen shows a painted omega logo while the rep shows a metal logo(is this a change in production?)

The lettering for the logo looks too thick on the Rep.

The HE Valve on the gen has its center line just below 10 while the rep has it well above 10.

Everything can be fixed with a bezel, dial, hand change out except the HE valve. I don't want to do a franken if this is going to be a big tell.

po-gen-rep-compared.jpg

There are 4 small 'ticks' between each larger 'tick' on the rep, whereas the gen has only 3.

Edited by bill_097

ilikewatches99

Thanks for the tick mark identification. I did not even see that.

The chrome rings on the pusher are the wrong thickness, thinner on the rep too. The orange color of the sweeping second hand is also the wrong orange.

I am now wondering if some watchsmithing can be done on the HE to move it down a little and smooth that side indentation to make it gen-like.

bill_097

np :).

I had no idea that there were so many different versions of the reps out there; some much closer to gen than others.

jeffw69

Well, I'm definitely not buying the chrono now, it's too way off for me.

ilikewatches99

I also have the chrono seamaster 300m professional which is much closer with the correct HE. For it I am keeping the dial and replacing the bezel, crystal, hands(hands are too short on subdials and main hands and bezel crystal has the same off center problem), otherwise it is good.

P4GTR

FWIW I don't recall these having the wrong he placement when they came out. Were they always like this?

g.man

I was wondering that myself when I saw it in the AD's. Either they moved it on later models, or we're all idiots who never noticed it was different from the non-chrono.

Either way, the OP has the wrong hobby IMO. You're way to anal about this for your own good. If things like this vex you so much, then buy a gen ffs.

regards

g.man

Soopah Spy

It looks like the He valve on the rep is actually recessed into the metal of the case, whereas it's not on the Gen... is that what you see in person?

Akira

The PO never was an accurate rep like the N-Factory PAMs or such.

HE always in the wrong place, on the non-chrono it's not correct either.

Dial markers always wrong, font always not chrisp enough, AR crappy blue, pearl position and so on....

Nevertheless they are very nicely build and overall good quality.

The don't feel cheap and the finish is quite good.

You will be happy with it, don't get bothered too much with these tells.

The non-chrono version is easily to be upgraded to a Franken. The PO genuine parts aren't that expensive (compared to Rolex for example)

However, Franken PO is most of the times in the price range of a used gen!

Cheers

Akira

Akira

Either way, the OP has the wrong hobby IMO. You're way to anal about this for your own good. If things like this vex you so much, then buy a gen ffs.

Being anal is a part of this hobby for some people.

We collect watches that have high value genuine counterparts...we want our watches to look like those gens as closely as possible.

Otherwise we all would collect Seikos and Timexes in the first place.

The reasons we collect those reps may vary, but nobody like to be called out by some stranger.

Just because some members strap on a $100 rep Sub and think it looks close to a genuine Submariner, doesn't make it so.

It doesn't make them more suited for this hobby, then someone who spends hours and money in building a Franken, either.

It's a case of personal preferences...I'd never wear that PO they way it presents on this QC pics or the Pumpkin you own for that matter.

I don't judge you though, just because you do.

g.man

:P

g.man

Anyhoo, while I agree wholeheartedly with the points you make (or I wouldn't be here myself), I stand by my point. This is not a rep that's worth being super anal about. The non chrono UPO's are super, but still have their tells. The chrono version however, while still being a lovely watch has absolutely glaring faults. It's just not a watch worth being super anal about. By all means enjoy it for what it is, but no matter how much money you spend having it modded, the HE valve is always going to be in completely the wrong place. It's a massive tell, and I sincerely doubt there's much anyone can do about it.

yup

g.man

ron76

Crownguard doesn't look good

Luthier

He valve on the rep is definitely in the wrong place. That's where it should be on the non-chrono PO's, but on the chrono it should be below the 10pm marker as per your gen photo.

regards

g.man

Oh, Rlly...???

Chrono or non-chrono... UPO had HE valve above 50. Cartel never had non-chrono UPO with correct HE valve position, so, yes, you're fucked, mate.

Here's mine, and, of course, not from Cartel.

:P

P1070349.jpg

Luthier

So you want a 100% perfect 1:1 rep??? Dude you're being waaaaaaaay too picky maybe you should buy a gen

+1M

Mike 1108

What g.man said... Completely agree.

HE position roughly correct for old SeaMaster case (my 2001 gen SeaMaster has the same HE position as pictures in rep QC photos). Probably never changed or looked at for changes in other models.

Making a Franken of this will still result in a watch with similar issues.

Best of luck.

Captain Swoop

Cartel? What is Cartel? I have seen this term a few times.

Edited by Captain Swoop