Sign in to follow this  
p-lund

watchsrorage

p-lund

i wonder which of these two alternatives is the best way to keep your automatic watches last as long as possible. i´m talking about watches not used so very often. 1. you have them on a winder wich keeps them going and the oil inside the movement circulating, but also causes more wear to the movment. 2. you have them in your drawer an wind them up every third week or so and use them ocasionally. thanks.

trailboss99

Good question. In the case of the A7750 I'd say the second for sure as they rarely have any oil. A wind every few weeks is enough to keep the oil where it belongs anyway.

Col.

KBH

The oil inside a watch doesn't "circulate", so that's not part of the equation. It just sits in the same old place.

"I just checked the dipstick on my UPO and it's down a little. I guess I'll put a drop in the HE valve?"

RolexAddict

I store watches like guns, it need a lot of oil and grease

I open the case back, fill up the case inside full level with heavy trucks oil, then I close tight the case back. The watch is preserved, 100% oiled, and waterproof.

I will make a 10 pages tutorial about this method when I find the time

Edited by RolexAddict

trailboss99
The oil inside a watch doesn't "circulate", so that's not part of the equation. It just sits in the same old place.

"I just checked the dipstick on my UPO and it's down a little. I guess I'll put a drop in the HE valve?"

No, but it does dry out and can wick away from where it should be.

Hmm, a total oil bath lube system?

/me waits for 10 page tute :tomaatit:

Col.

KBH

No, but it does dry out and can wick away from where it should be.

Hmm, a total oil bath lube system?

/me waits for 10 page tute :tomaatit:

Col.

I assume it does dry out but according to Ziggy, in one of his tutes, he says it is impossible for it to wick out, it just gets old. I think it was in his thread about 10 myths about watch movements. It's the same thread that also said that running the chronos 24/7 doesn't add any more stress to the movement.

Just what I read!

MY uneducated guess is they would last longer in your drawer not running. But with that said I still keep 4 that are regulars on a winder.

I've got my grandfather's gold Waltham RR pocket watch that has never been serviced and is close to 100 years old and it still keeps perfect time. About 3 winds and it starts ticking.

trailboss99

Oke, if Ziggy says so that's good enough for me.

Col.

p-lund
I store watches like guns, it need a lot of oil and grease

I open the case back, fill up the case inside full level with heavy trucks oil, then I close tight the case back. The watch is preserved, 100% oiled, and waterproof.

I will make a 10 pages tutorial about this method when I find the time

i use harley-davidson sae 50 premium oil :tomaatit:

RolexAddict

I use Esso 20W-50,

half synthetic for aviation piston engines, its quite the same like the 50 sae Premium for motorcycles

The 20W-50 is prescripted for Lycoming engines and homologed by US Air Force, and "by appointment of the Swiss Haute Horlogery Ministry"

:irish_dance::tomaatit::morebeer::boobies2:

:tomaatit: