Sign in to follow this  
sammysmiths

Bell&Ross

sammysmiths

I am a seasoned rep watch collector and have been hanging around these forums for years, but have changed my name since the old site disappeared and this one started.

I've purchesed from Josh, Lawrence and Paul over the years.

I'm now looking for my next purchase.

I like the look of the B&R 01-96 but the research I have done seems to highlight some blatent erors.

Can anyone clarify if the gen has lume, AR, and hex heads on the case back?

The rep appears to have hex heads engraved into the caseback.

Also, I have noticed, depending on the chosen colour, some faces have a "Ltd" logo and some dont.

As do some reps?

So, what is the best rep, best movement, and best colour/case combo.

Thanks guys.

I've learned so much in the past but this has stumped me.

Collection so far.

Ultimate Omega PO, black.

Omega Speedmaster professional

Tag Heuer Monaco

Tag Heuer Carrera

Pam 127 1950

Member X

Hello! ;)

Welcome to the madhouse :P lol

I love the B&R stuff too but, as you say, there is such a big variation in what you can get that it's difficult to know what's right and what's wrong!

All B&R 01 gens have lume, AR and proper hex screws on the back (as you can undo them and remove the lugs) - AFAIK. I may be wrong but I don't think I am...

Only the newest reps have the proper hex screws on the back rather than just having them engraved, so aim for one of those if you want decent authenticity in that respect.

All reps seem to have crap lume though lol so don't expect it to be any good at all!

The AR I'm not so sure about - I've got a few homages recently that have decent AR (see my threads in the homages forum, and also my post in the wristies thread today) but I've not handled the gens long enough to know for sure what they're like.

If you want to minimise errors on the dial, your best bet is to avoid the various 'Ltd Editions' that are usually completely wrong lol, and stick to the black dial 01-92, the original gen version. This only has the dial, hands, logo and '01-92', with no date or any other printing to get wrong lol If you go for a SS version they are great - I much prefer them over the PVD now and you have none of the worries about it looking to shiny or taking a scratch!

One of the dealers (I can't think who now) has a hi-beat version (the gens are 28.8bph) but you pay about $250+ for it. I think it could be worth speaking to one of the dealers on here to see what they can get it for. Mary has offered amazing prices recently so I'd be interested to see what she would charge!

The 01-96 is the big date version, isn't it? I'm not sure I've seen that one repped :D

Edited by Member X

Luthier

Just ask Mary (Watchinternational) or Robert (Prestigewatchcompany).

They're the best of the beasts.

KinCaidk

Welcome :facepalm:

sammysmiths

Sorry, I meant 01-94.

The particular watch I noticed looked like it had real hex nuts on the case back.

http://ptswiss.com/product_info.php?cPath=...products_id=224

I would be more than happy with a 01-92 or 01-94 but to be honest i'm a bit of a perfectionist without the money to buy the gen.

I spend months trawling the sites and dealers to find the right watch for me.

Any more advice greatly appreciated.

Member X

I don't think you'll be able to get an accurate 01-94 as the seconds subdial is at 3, and AFAIK there isn't a chronograh rep movement that does that? (can anyone confirm that?) Usually the ones with seconds at 3 are Quartz, as I understand it.

http://www.bellross.com/media/images/catal...bon_black_1.jpg

Most of the reps also have completely wrong subdial printing on the 01-94s. I really would go for the 01-92s, there's a lot less to get wrong! lol

EDIT: Just looked at that link, it looks pretty good, nice find. DW is a bit sunken and the subdial hands are a different colour to the rest by the looks of it, but the printing seems to be accurate and the hex screws are indeed there on the back. I'm not sure about the 7750 movement - I know they're usually seconds at 9, and the seconds at 6 models are a time bomb waiting to go off, but I'm not sure about the seconds at 3...

Edited by Member X

sammysmiths
I don't think you'll be able to get an accurate 01-94 as the seconds subdial is at 3, and AFAIK there isn't a chronograh rep movement that does that? (can anyone confirm that?) Usually the ones with seconds at 3 are Quartz, as I understand it.

http://www.bellross.com/media/images/catal...bon_black_1.jpg

Most of the reps also have completely wrong subdial printing on the 01-94s. I really would go for the 01-92s, there's a lot less to get wrong! lol

EDIT: Just looked at that link, it looks pretty good, nice find. DW is a bit sunken and the subdial hands are a different colour to the rest by the looks of it, but the printing seems to be accurate and the hex screws are indeed there on the back. I'm not sure about the 7750 movement - I know they're usually seconds at 9, and the seconds at 6 models are a time bomb waiting to go off, but I'm not sure about the seconds at 3...

Priced at 243GBP Located in UK and fully inspected. Not drop shipped.