Sign in to follow this  
saywhat

Need some submariner help

saywhat

Hey guys,

Looking to buy my first rep and really not sure the differences in quality between the different trusted dealers. I am looking for the current submariner that is blue and gold (Something like this : http://www.marvellousreplica.com/products_detail.php?ProId=1022 ) with silver/gold band.

Can anyone recommend (preferably if you have one) which dealers have a really good quality product? I'm not particularly intense about every single detail, but I want it to be good enough that the average person that sees it will think it is real. Thoughts?

DarkGlass

I've bought 5 from MR and he like the rest of our trusted dealers is great. That watch looks great, and with a good movement too. I believe that most of our TD's source from the same places and their watches are basically the same.

You would be fine buying from any of them. On a personal note I wouldn't go for a bi-metal watch for daily wear, you never know know how long that gold plate is going to stay. As for fooling the average person, you'd be fine with that one or indeed most of the no cheapies 'coz the only people who really know about watches are those found on forums ( and they aint normals ! )

Cheers and welcome to the world of ever decreasing circles :giggle:

saywhat

I've bought 5 from MR and he like the rest of our trusted dealers is great. That watch looks great, and with a good movement too. I believe that most of our TD's source from the same places and their watches are basically the same.

You would be fine buying from any of them. On a personal note I wouldn't go for a bi-metal watch for daily wear, you never know know how long that gold plate is going to stay. As for fooling the average person, you'd be fine with that one or indeed most of the no cheapies 'coz the only people who really know about watches are those found on forums ( and they aint normals ! )

Cheers and welcome to the world of ever decreasing circles :giggle:

Thanks for the info! Yes, I am planning on this being a daily wear watch. Do you have any other similar suggestions? I'm really hooked on the look of the blue submariner, but I definitely don't want something to look bad (that's the whole point haha).

Also can you explain the pros/cons of getting the asian vs swiss?

DarkGlass

There's plenty of info on the board mate to explain that, basically in a lot of cases if you order a swiss movement you may actually be getting a chinese one, and if it is infact swiss it could be a re-cycled one.

As a daily wear watch I'd go for http://www.marvellousreplica.com/products_detail.php?ProId=1032 which is the stainless model. Failing that Reg has some nice Planet Oceans for £68 which as a "toe in the water" they have loads of appeal and are great for everyday wear

saywhat

There's plenty of info on the board mate to explain that, basically in a lot of cases if you order a swiss movement you may actually be getting a chinese one, and if it is infact swiss it could be a re-cycled one.

As a daily wear watch I'd go for http://www.marvellou....php?ProId=1032 which is the stainless model. Failing that Reg has some nice Planet Oceans for £68 which as a "toe in the water" they have loads of appeal and are great for everyday wear

Thanks. In looking further... Wouldn't this be the same as the one you pointed out but in blue instead of black? http://www.marvellousreplica.com/products_detail.php?ProId=1028

I really like that one. I just don't want to walk around and have people be like that's a fake.. :o

DarkGlass

Good choice, I think that one is supposed to be white gold rarther than stainless, dunno 'bout you but I couldn't get away with a wearing a watch that's worth more athan my car ! Anyway it's a cool looking watch from a superb dealer

Greenhat

, dunno 'bout you but I couldn't get away with a wearing a watch that's worth more athan my car

Wot Dark still driving the 1983 vauxhall cavalier

saywhat

Haha! Seems like most of these are stainless steel over white gold. I'm just looking for a nice everyday watch to wear that noone is going to say Hey Nice Fake lol

DarkGlass

, dunno 'bout you but I couldn't get away with a wearing a watch that's worth more athan my car

86 actually recentley upgraded and now playing with the A team

Greenhat

http://www.marvellou....php?ProId=1028

Go for that mate, unless you are from the ise of wight

86 actually recentley upgraded and now playing with the A team

Nice car , sails through a MOT

saywhat

Thanks guys! Just figure I better ask the experts. I'd be a real wanker to spend ~$200 on a watch and have people thinking wow that is fake.

Greenhat

Thanks guys! Just figure I better ask the experts. I'd be a real wanker to spend ~$200 on a watch and have people thinking wow that is fake.

Well i used to wear a Gen rolex sub date and most of 14 intel coy thought it was a fake ,

Greenhat

Last question would be is that the better vendor? I've seen some others... like this one http://timeshops.net/9692-ro7080-rolex-submariner-blue-dial-steel-bezel-ss-ss-asian-21j-automatic.html

It seems all the trusted vendors have this watch for varying prices. I don't want to be cheap if it isn't good, but also no reason to spend more money if it is a waste.

Try Reg or Mary ...........i bet bottom dollar you are a frequent shopper of the 99p store ? am i right

Edited by Greenhat

saywhat

Haha negative. I don't mind spending the right amount of money I just don't know the market very well so I don't want to over pay for no reason.

Just trying to find best value :)

Greenhat

Haha negative. I don't mind spending the right amount of money I just don't know the market very well so I don't want to over pay for no reason.

Just trying to find best value :)

Very Shred, welcome to the club

schmooze

Well i used to wear a Gen rolex sub date and most of 14 intel coy thought it was a fake ,

I was playing poker one night and losing. I was wearing my BK sub and someone suggested as a joke I use it as colIateral (not a high stake game) I informed them it was a replica and wouldn't want to rip them off. One of the players who had supposed watch store experience stated it was a gen and i was scared of losing it. I suppose whether a gen or quality replica as found with most TD's, only watch forum goobs and experienced AD's will spot the minute differences.

Watchinternational, MR and BK all great products. I've had one from each. BK's was a slight standout at the time with evenly pressed crystal, accurate date wheel which I think they all have now and BK's are assembled well and garuanteed pube free.

Greenhat

I was playing poker one night and losing. I was wearing my BK sub and someone suggested as a joke I use it as colIateral (not a high stake game) I informed them it was a replica and wouldn't want to rip them off. One of the players who had supposed watch store experience stated it was a gen and i was scared of losing it. I suppose whether a gen or quality replica as found with most TD's, only watch forum goobs and experienced AD's will spot the minute differences.

Watchinternational, MR and BK all great products. I've had one from each. BK's was a slight standout at the time with evenly pressed crystal, accurate date wheel which I think they all have now and BK's are assembled well and garuanteed pube free.

Don't tell me the card game was at the back of a pub somewhere in Dublin?

jeffw69

So, who has the best sub?

:facepalm:

Greenhat

Well last i heard it was the Astute

saywhat

One more question... Is there really any two tone that lasts? I'm still sort of hooked on the blue and gold, but I do see a large amount of posts/threads saying the gold discolors or wears off at some point. Is there any one that doesn't?

DarkGlass

There are some that are wrapped rather than plated and they I think last longer coz they are erm wrapped. There is also a process called ion plating which apparantley gives more longevity.

When Jeff lifts his head from his hands he may be able to give you a better insight into the world of reps from his ammased tome of knowledge

saywhat

Thanks! I look forward to hearing more... Would love the two tone but also if it won't last long or looks clearly a fake then I will skip and go with stainless steel. Just hoping there are some good gold two tone ones to be had :)