Sign in to follow this  
houndoggie

Vintage Rolex Sub

houndoggie

I always liked this watch, but, of course, I sold it away.

I think it may have been a silix cheapie by birth and it thus it wasn't very expensive, but I think it captures the essence of what a well executed "vintage" budget rep should be.

I received it in a trade and don't really know much about the model itself and what was done to make it look like this, but here it is:

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

DSC03767.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

DSC03765.jpg

IMG_0599-1.jpg

JoeyB

It looks like this one from Joshua.

8.jpg

houndoggie

8.jpg

It sure does.

Well, there is the source, now get one and beat it up.

prestigewatchco

8.jpg

It sure does.

Why is this watch here it wasn't made by VDB and cost $3000 so it's not vintage end of story!

JoeyB

I'm looking for a vintage GMT Master with the correct dial. No "date" after 'Oyster Perpetual' like your Sub. I've been talking with RolexAddict, he knows all the mods to make, and pointed out a source for a refinished gen dial. I'd really like to find a gen 1675 case and do it all up from there, but that's a tougher find at a reasonable price.

JoeyB
Why is this watch here it wasn't made by VDB and cost $3000 so it's not vintage end of story!

Who or what is "VDB"?

And the title on the page here on my computer says "REPLICA WATCH GUIDE FORUM > Reviews & Photo Galleries > Vintage Watches > Vintage Rolex Sub". That sounds like the beginning of the story to me.

houndoggie

It sure does.

LOL!!

Massimo

Nice "Vintagising" job there. I nearly bought one of those from Josh, but was put off by the Tiffany dial so went with a cheapie vintage date Sub from Lawrence instead.

JohnG

Yeah, thanks to all the clutter, the EXPERTS have stopped posting!

trailboss99

Someone did a incredibly good job of vintagising that! Nice watch.

Who or what is "VDB"?

VDB is one of the all time great vintage modders and a member here. There are a cpl of posts from him of some of his work here somewhere. Lovely stuff but you pay for it. PWC was refering to a rather strange post by Joewatch on da Geek (I think).

Col.

JoeyB

Oh, another Geek Tragedy thread? I see.

Brightlight
Oh, another Geek Tragedy thread? I see.

:lol:

Johng is correct. There was a bit of a kerfuffle in the vintage forum where firstly VDB was made a mod. This didn't go down very well with geeks who felt he was using the forum almost as his own personal sales section. Then Joewatch, a good customer of VDB, suggested effectively that a watch couldn't be in the vintage forum unless a) it was a PAM :) it had been breathed on by VDB and c) it cost a small fortune, and all the other crap shouldn't be posted. This is what Robert is referring to above. Those of us who did our own vintagizingwith our own fair hands took exception to this. When the dust settled, Joe was gone, closely followed by some of his pals, to set up in business on their own eventually as Wrist-check.com and VDB was replaced as Mod.

Edited by Brightlight