Sign in to follow this  
gB.

Vintage 60's Organa Diver - anyone familar with this brand?

gB.

I recently bought this vintage Organa diver off another forum because I found it interesting and the price was right. It's Swiss ETA powered, but I've never heard of the brand and cannot find anything via Google on it. Any of you vintage nutz know about this one and can share details?

And btw, for you Star Wars geeks, no this is not the brand that Princess Leia started (her maiden name was Organa). :facepalm:

Here's some details from the seller:

Recently received this unusual c. 1960's diver, from the obscure brand Organa. There's virtually no information to be found on them other than they were in business from the 1950's to mid-1970's. I love the "Space Needle" hour hand and the large tritium markers at 12, 6, and 9. Plus it has a cool red/black alternating date display. The movement is a 25 jewel ETA 2452 that's keeping great time. Originally rated to 20 atmos, but of course wouldn't want to test that now! I've really grown to like this case style, which is found on many dive watches of this era. It measures 38mm x 47mm which you would think is small, but it actually wears large due to the thin bezel and large dial.

Rare Organa 20ATM (660 ft.) diver c. 1960's. 38mm (excluding crown) all stainless case in good condition, TZ 85%. Wears big due to thin bezel and large dial. Mint original dial with red date wheel and "Space Needle" hour hand. Corrosion on hands appear worse in macro pics. Lume still glows faintly. Scratch free domed crystal. 25 jewel ETA 2452 movement keeps good time with strong power reserve. On soft rubber vintage style strap plus includes like new dark green sharkskin strap.

89a32c92.jpg

c82659d9.jpg

07c3497d.jpg

be91609c.jpg

39e5e8f4.jpg

be643e67.jpg

d761bdbd.jpg

424bc854.jpg

Soopah Spy

In some respects it resembles the Bulova Oceanographer line, but with enough differences that I'm pretty sure it's a completely independant manufacture. Many dive watches were rated in those days to around 660 ft, the Bulovas were marked to 666 ft. The "water-proof" mark dates it somewhat, ISO standards now preclude the use of that term on watches. Probably mid-1960's. Likely originally had a stainless steel link or mesh bracelet. I've never heard of the brand, though.

gB.

Thanks Soop! Interesting details on the "water proof" usage.

LHOOQ

I think they were based in Alderaan, but went bust a long time ago.

EDIT: That's right, GBOGH. Your pre-emptive acknowledgment will not stop me from making a lame Star Wars joke!

Edited by LHOOQ

gB.

EDIT: That's right, GBOGH. Your pre-emptive acknowledgment will not stop me from making a lame Star Wars joke!

:lol: If you google Leia Organa you'll see links showing Leia Organa-Solo. When did she get married to Han? I must have missed that Episode... :facepalm:

robznet

Nice piece mate. I couldn't find any info on the brand either, I did find this though....................................................Organa.jpg

Nice looking watch!

gB.

I kind of like the rubber strap on this one in that it hangs over the lug ends and wears larger than the 19mm lug width that it is, but still thinking I should try out another kind of strap other than rubber. Any one have any suggestions that would look really good with this vintage diver? I might try my first bund strap on this one... :Thinking:

da1c349c-1.jpg

a0df8086-1.jpg

Soopah Spy

I think this one rather cries out for a SS mesh band. Lots of dive watches of that vintage had them.

gB.

I think this one rather cries out for a SS mesh band. Lots of dive watches of that vintage had them.

Agree, mesh would work. How about this one though? Not mesh, but still liking it.

502603097_o.jpg

gB.

Hard to find a decent vintage mesh for 19mm lugs. Kinda like this one, but needs to be brushed instead of polished like this photo. Expensive though too at $200.... :Thinking:

181848084_o.jpg

myaz

I'm not sure I'd invest $200 for a band for this particular watch. Plus you'd have to age it, looks too new.