Sign in to follow this  
MrZoSo

On This Day (Jimmy Page) RWG Addition

MrZoSo

tumblr_m5ome94iri1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 16 JUN 1999

I PERFORMED AT THE UNICEF KOSOVO APPEAL IN LONDON

When the troubles in Kosovo finally subsided there was a hasty fundraiser put together at the banqueting halls in Whitehall. I’d been asked to play this event and I played it with my group at the time: Michael Lee on drums and Guy Pratt on bass. I played an instrumental version of ‘Dazed and Confused’ and I was told people got the idea of the movements being like a classical piece. It must have been quite spirited as apparently it registered on the highly sophisticated sensor equipment at the Ministry of Defence.

This sound source is taken from a rehearsal with the band.

http://soundcloud.co...onfused/s-Z1dyx

PHOTO: ROSS HALFIN © 1999

MrZoSo

On this day… 17 Jun 1966

I played on Chris Farlowe's 'Out Of Time'

I played acoustic on Chris Farlowe's 'Out Of Time' and you can hear it soloing in the middle of the song. It's a Jagger/Richards composition and Farlowe's version is brilliant. It went to No. 1 and was in the UK charts for 40 weeks. This is the acoustic which was played on the song.

01170666.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f109Brzc6Po

MrZoSo

tumblr_m5selkDF4A1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 18 JUN 1965

I SAW JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS IN LONDON, UK

On this day in 1965, I went to see John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers at the Pontiac Club in Putney, London. It showcased Eric Clapton’s magnificent mastery of the blues guitar. Eric came to stay at my home in Epsom that night as I had told him about the recordings and guitar sound I was getting from my Simon recorder. We played together and tracks surfaced on the ‘Blues Anytime’ series on Immediate Records. I went on to produce ‘I’m Your Witchdoctor’ and ‘Telephone Blues’ with Mayall and Clapton, as well as ‘Sitting on Top of the World’ and ‘Double Crossing Time’.

http://soundcloud.co...es-road/s-HxInf

MrZoSo

19 JUN 1969

I PLAYED ON FRENCH TV IN PARIS WITH LED ZEPPELIN

On this day in 1969, I played the TV programme ‘Tous En Scene - Antenne Culturelle du Kremlin-Bicêtre’ in Paris with Led Zeppelin. The two songs that were featured in various TV shows and TV series to promote the bands work with reference to the first album were ‘Communication Breakdown’ and ‘Dazed and Confused’. With some of these TV shows at the time, it became more obvious that wanting to perform our material live and the quality of the TV recording just wasn’t working - like mixing oil and water.

Also on ths day, in 2009, I met the gorgeous Miss Alison Mosshart from The Kills, and recently with Jack White’s Dead Weather at the LA Film Festival. I’d seen the band premiere at the Roxy two days before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsLNsKivfI

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

tumblr_m5xw2kk3H81qmle2jo1_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 21 JUN 1966

I PLAYED MY FIRST SHOW WITH THE YARDBIRDS AT MARQUEE CLUB, LONDON

01_210666.jpg

In the summer of 1966, Jeff Beck had invited me to a Yardbirds show at the May Ball at Queen’s College, Oxford, where the band were to perform in a giant marquee. They were really playing well that night but the audience of penguin-suited university bods were mainly unreceptive and too busy being loud drunks. During the set, Keith Relf became disenchanted with the audience and morphed into what would later be termed a punk, with colourful language and insults to what was a drunken bunch of Hoorays. Keith was wobbling but he finished the set with suitable angst. I thought he was brilliant under the circumstances, but Paul Samwell Smith left the band that evening.

Three days after the Oxford gig, on this day in ‘66, The Yardbirds had this date at London’s Marquee club with no bass player. In the event that Paul was not going to return, I volunteered to play bass with them. This was my debut. It was not an easy job to fill the massive powerhouse role set by Paul Samwell Smith, but I pulled it off.

02_210666.jpg

MrZoSo

23 JUN 2010

I VISITED MANGUEIRA AND PORTELA IN BRAZIL

tumblr_m626by4ntF1qmle2jo2_500.jpg

On this day in 2010, I was in Rio where I would be getting an injection of high voltage Samba at the percussive samba schools of Mangueira, Portela and Beija Flor. During this period, I had a showcase that coincided with the build up to a World Cup football match being projected on an adjacent wall in the hall. The Brazilians are known for their passion for football and the same school’s percussion and dancers timed the conclusion to their mini-showcase admirably as the glances became more than anxious from those watching the screen, awaiting the kick off.

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY… 24 JUN 1969

LED ZEPPELIN RECORDED THE JOHN PEEL SESSIONS AT MAIDA VALE, LONDON

tumblr_m63f17Q2AP1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

‘Whole Lotta Love’ / ‘What Is and What Should Never Be’ / ‘Communication Breakdown’ / ‘Travelling Riverside Blues

We recorded this show at Maida Vale studio to promote ‘Led Zeppelin II’. In typical Led Zeppelin tradition ‘Travelling Riverside Blues’ was made up on the spot from a riff I had on the electric twelve string. We had reached a point at the BBC where you could overdub a solo over the initial track of the song. This helped a lot to give a more complete rendition of our material and I must say the BBC engineer Tony Wilson did a really good job for us on this day. The BBC producer was John Walters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtEAp-Rybl0

MrZoSo

On this day… 08 Jul 1997

Rainer Ptacek's tribute album 'The Inner Flame' was released

tumblr_m6trz5nUeL1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

Today sees the 1997 release date of Rainer Ptacek's tribute album, 'The Inner Flame' and I played on the track ‘Rude World’, with an interesting use of a digitech Whammy pedal with Robert on vocal, Charlie Jones on bass, Phil Andrews on keyboards / sandwiches and Michael Lee on drums. I really felt that people might have thought this a cool direction, I did.

Steelfish
dancing__zoso_zoso1.gif

fe22ari
LOL! My name is Paul, and I am from NJ, USA...

Awesome. I had no idea that the Yardbirds did Dazed.... WOW

Do you really think this guy is Jimmy Page then?

I'm not really sure - but is it really important? I love the music and the memories.... I am going with the flow on this one.

Sorry guys - my comment wasn't meant to sound nasty in any way, I'm enjoying this thread as much as anyone else, it was meant to be jokey but didn't come out that way.

Aww, I was hoping you actually were my hero.

But why would the Riffmeister buy a rep when he could get anything he wanted. I will now scour live at the O2 for his watch - if he wore one that is

Sent using The Force

MrZoSo

Oh he'd buy a rep...More likely get one as a gift...They didn't call him led wallet for nothing. 3 year delay in posting. Been busy.