Sign in to follow this  
MrZoSo

On This Day (Jimmy Page) RWG Addition

MrZoSo

LOL! My name is Paul, and I am from NJ, USA...

Awesome. I had no idea that the Yardbirds did Dazed.... WOW

Do you really think this guy is Jimmy Page then?

I'm not really sure - but is it really important? I love the music and the memories.... I am going with the flow on this one.

Sorry guys - my comment wasn't meant to sound nasty in any way, I'm enjoying this thread as much as anyone else, it was meant to be jokey but didn't come out that way.

robznet

Superb - please keep it coming! Getting used to reading this in nightly installments, very addictive!

robznet

LOL! My name is Paul, and I am from NJ, USA...

Awesome. I had no idea that the Yardbirds did Dazed.... WOW

Do you really think this guy is Jimmy Page then?

I'm not really sure - but is it really important? I love the music and the memories.... I am going with the flow on this one.

Sorry guys - my comment wasn't meant to sound nasty in any way, I'm enjoying this thread as much as anyone else, it was meant to be jokey but didn't come out that way.

And you are obviously a big JP fan mate. As in my post above - keep it coming!

MrZoSo

11 Mar 1971

I played Southampton University with Led Zeppelin

1110371.jpg

On the 'Back to the Clubs' tour we played the Old Union Refectory in Southampton

The setlist included...

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Since I've Been Loving You

Black Dog

Dazed and Confused

Stairway to Heaven

Going to California

What Is and What Should Never Be

Moby Dick

Whole Lotta Love (medley)

Communication Breakdown

trailboss99
The setlist included...

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Black Dog

Dazed and Confused

Stairway to Heaven

Going to California

Moby Dick

Communication Breakdown

Wow, some set list! Not one on there not in my favourite list.

MrZoSo

Mickey Finn released 'This Sporting Life' / 'Night Comes Down'

1120363.png

I played on the song 'Night Comes Down' previously with guitarist / singer-songwriter Jon Mark at IBC Studio, with Glyn Johns recording and probably Shel Talmy producing. I don't think Jon Mark's version ever came out, but it was really good. He later was to tour as the guitarist for Marianne Faithfull and went on to form The Mark-Almond Band with saxophonist Johnny Almond.

I played on this re-make with Mickey Finn and the flip-side was 'This Sporting Life'.

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY… 13 MAR 1995

PAGE AND PLANT PLAYED THE FRANK ERWIN CENTER, AUSTIN, TX

tumblr_m0ssaghtQw1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

On this day in 1995, Page and Plant played at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas — a city with a robust guitar-driven music scene.

Setlist

The Wanton Song

Bring It On Home

Celebration Day

Thank You

Dancing Days

Shake My Tree

Lullaby

No Quarter

Gallows Pole

Hurdy Gurdy Solo

Nobody's Fault But Mine

The Song Remains The Same

Friends

Calling To You

Four Sticks

In The Evening

Black Dog

Kashmir

There was a huge colony of bats that lived locally under the bridge near to the hotel we stayed at, and at dusk they swarmed up the river — quite a sight.

bt_130395.jpg

torobravo

1968 wow, that was the year

MrZoSo

1968 wow, that was the year

Times have changed, haven't they? Great music stays timeless.

The setlist included...

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Black Dog

Dazed and Confused

Stairway to Heaven

Going to California

Moby Dick

Communication Breakdown

Wow, some set list! Not one on there not in my favourite list.

The encores during this time (very early 70's) included Elvis, Little Richard, Ray Charlles, CSN&Y, and other variants...Was a great time for the band.

MrZoSo

14 MAR 1969

LED ZEPPELIN APPEARED ON SWEDISH TV

The band ethic during the promo for the first album was to play live on TV and mime on radio. At this Swedish TV show, they wouldn’t let us play: we had to mime. I think the level of sarcasm shows through. Robert Plant was brilliant on this one.

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

Coverdale/Page was released

tumblr_m0whxwqRim1qmle2jo2_250.png

The album Coverdale/Page was released on this day in 1993, engineered and mixed by Mike Fraser - with whom we had started the recordings at Little Mountain studios in Vancouver - and Denny Carmassi of Heart on drums and Ricky Phillips on bass.

The recordings had continued in Miami, Florida at Criteria Studios with Jorge Casas on bass (he also played with Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine), Lester Mendez on keyboards (who was later to co-write ‘Underneath Your Clothes' with Shakira and gained success with Nelly Furtado, Josh Groban and Dido) and with lush orchestration from Clare Fischer in LA on 'Take Me For A Little While'. It was all mixed at EMI Studios in London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSVqPBLgs7g

robznet

Great stuff mate, as I have already said, keep it coming. :thumbsup2:

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY… 16 MAR 1965

I WAS VISITING LOS ANGELES

tumblr_m0yhdcMMNv1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

I was on my second visit to Los Angeles but my first stay at Gene Autry’s Continental Hotel on Sunset Boulevard. This was to become the infamous Continental Hyatt House; best known as the ‘Riot House’ in the 70s.

I was with Tony Calder of Immediate Records and present when he met with Murray Wilson in an LA steakhouse. He came away with the Beach Boys’ publishing contract under his belt and ‘Help Me Rhonda’ was the first single of this new relationship. Tony also had Taj Mahal and Jesse Ed Davis auditioning in a room at the hotel. They were really solid. They weren’t signed to Immediate at that time and only came together on record three years later, in 1968. Taj Mahal in a solo capacity was later billed with Led Zeppelin in January 1969 at Bill Graham’s Fillmore West. Jesse Ed Davis was to perform with Leon Russell, Albert King and Willie Nelson and he also played on albums with John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Leonard Cohen and George Harrison.

1_160369.jpg

MrZoSo

16 Mar 2012

'Lucifer Rising and Other Sound Tracks' released 20th March 2012

a.jpg

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

FROM JIMMY PAGE

On March 20th, the Spring Equinox 2012, the title music for Lucifer Rising and Other Sound Tracks will have its premiere and release.

The title music, along with other musical pieces recorded at my home studio in the early Seventies, have been revisited, remixed and released for the first time.

This is a musical diary of avant-garde compositions and experiments, one of which was to appear on the film Lucifer Rising.

The collection has been exhumed and is now ready for public release. This will be available exclusively on the website.

There will be a standard release on heavyweight vinyl.

In addition there will be a special run of 418 numbered copies. The first 93 copies will be signed and numbered.

There are liner notes and commentary to each track. The tracks are:

Side One

1) Lucifer Rising - Main Track

Side Two

1) Incubus

2) Damask

3) Unharmonics

4) Damask - Ambient

5) Lucifer Rising - Percussive Return

sig_200312.png

200312_luciferrisingmain.jpg

200312_luciferrisinglabel.png

MrZoSo

John Bonham week...

Video: Brian Tichy's John Bonham week

Today the Whitesnake drummer presents 'Rock and Roll'

Brian%20Tichy%20option%202-460-100-460-70.jpg

It's fair to say Brian Tichy knows a thing or two about John Bonham. The Whitesnake drummer is an uber Bonham fan, so much so that he rounded-up some of the world's finest sticksmen for a huge Bonzo tribute show last year.

Each day this week Tichy is putting his considerable Bonham knowledge to good use by talking you through a classic lick from the Led Zeppelin powerhouse. We kick off with 'Rock and Roll'

The song Brian refers too is Keep a Knockin, Little Richard

Where clearly you hear Bonham was influenced for the intro to R&R

SteveA

JP created a sound and a style but is by no means a technical genius when it comes to playing

MrZoSo

17 Mar 1998

I was with Puff Daddy in New York

tumblr_m105ifDjoH1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

I went to 'Daddy's house' in New York to hear the mix of 'Come With Me' with all the overdubs he had done. It was now of epic proportions and sounded really powerful. If you're going to hear something loud, hearing it at 'Daddy's house' was the real deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBqT3CoXoDM

MrZoSo

JP created a sound and a style but is by no means a technical genius when it comes to playing

You got that right... it's one of the many things I love about him as a musician. He is much more than a guitarist, imo.

This sums it up nicely...

robznet

Great stuff as usual!

MrZoSo

18 Mar 1969

Led Zeppelin recorded 'Supershow'

On this day in 1969, we performed 'Dazed and Confused' with what seemed to be a pretty experienced production team, as the camera angles appeared interesting at the time. They also used some dry ice, which was quite vibey, and we were just part of a number of artists that were to appear on this show - some of whom had not yet recorded and were due to arrive at the building.

There was definitely a timeslot for us to do another number, especially as the other artists hadn't arrived, and I suggested to the director that maybe it would be a good opportunity to do 'Communication Breakdown' as a second number, but they declined the offer and said it wasn’t necessary!

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY… 19 MAR 1969

LED ZEPPELIN RECORDED THE BBC SESSIONS AT MAIDA VALE, LONDON

tumblr_m13vj7uyCB1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

This was a show that had been done for the BBC World Service, for the ‘Alexis Korner: Rhythm and Blues Champion’ show. Alexis Korner was considered to be one of the pioneers of establishing blues and changing the jazz venues to R&B, alongside the influential blues visionary Cyril Davis on harmonica. As there was, presumably, a blues requisite to the show, we performed the blues standards ‘Can’t Quit You Baby’, ‘You Shook Me’ and ‘Sunshine Woman’ - which was the result of a jam in the studio during that session. There was also the mischievous inclusion of ‘What Is and What Should Never Be’ which was to be recorded literally one month later, on the 19th April in 1969. The brief on that session was for 15 minutes airtime and that’s how we dealt with it.

robznet
:thumbsup2:

MrZoSo

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM JIMMY PAGE

Today, the Spring Equinox 2012, the title music for Lucifer Rising and Other Sound Tracks will have its premiere and release.

The title music, along with other musical pieces recorded at my home studio in the early Seventies, have been revisited, remixed and released for the first time.

This is a musical diary of avant-garde compositions and experiments, one of which was to appear on the film Lucifer Rising.

The collection has been exhumed and is now ready for public release. This will be available exclusively on the website.

There will be a standard release on heavyweight vinyl.

In addition there will be a special run of 418 numbered copies. The first 93 copies will be signed and numbered.

There are liner notes and commentary to each track. The tracks are:

Side One

1) Lucifer Rising - Main Track

Side Two

1) Incubus

2) Damask

3) Unharmonics

4) Damask - Ambient

5) Lucifer Rising - Percussive Return

sig_200312.jpg

Jimmy Page, March 2012

Lucifer Rising and Other Sound Tracks is released at 14:00 GMT today

2200412.jpg

1200412.jpg

MrZoSo

On this day… 21 Mar 1969

Led Zeppelin appeared on the BBC's 'How Late It Is' programme

tumblr_m17kvn7vUv1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

On this day in 1969, Led Zeppelin appeared on 'How Late It Is' - a BBC programme recorded at Lime Grove Studios. This was a pilot for an arts discussion programme directed by Tony Palmer. We supplied the musical slot and played 'Communication Breakdown' live. There were no interviews with us. The programme established itself and developed with more emphasis on music of the day. During the course of its run it had interviews with the likes of Eric Burdon, John Lennon, Yoko Ono and The Nice, amongst others. Unfortunately the BBC tape of Led Zeppelin no longer exists. This was a pilot programme.

MrZoSo

22 Mar 1985

Michael Winner's film 'Scream For Help' was released

Today sees the 1985 release of 'Scream For Help', a Michael Winner film. John Paul Jones had been drafted in to do the soundtrack and he asked me to play on it. We wrote 'Crack Back' and ‘Spaghetti Junction' and both pieces appeared in the film and soundtrack album.