Sign in to follow this  
MrZoSo

On This Day (Jimmy Page) RWG Addition

MrZoSo

On this day… 23 Mar 1991

I jammed with The Reputations in New York

tumblr_m1b9ikXNwX1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

In 1991, I had been in New York to have discussions with David Coverdale about joining forces for an album. I know I went to the China Club during that stay in New York and apparently had a jam with a band called The Reputations. David was staying at the Plaza Hotel and it was really apparent how the hotel had been over-gilded and tarted up from its stately past in its latest refurbishment.

MrZoSo

On this day… 24 Mar 1986

I worked with The Rolling Stones in New York

the-rolling-stones-one-hit-to-the-body-cbs.jpg

On this day in 1986, 'One Hit (To the Body)' was released on The Rolling Stones’ Dirty Work album. Ronnie Wood had got in touch with me while I was staying at the Plaza Hotel in New York and invited me to come to the studio and lay down some guitar on a track of Keith’s. I was really up for this idea as I had done some studio work before on a track playing with Keith at Ronnie’s studio at The Wick in Richmond, England.

Actually, the session was not for Keith’s album, it was The Rolling Stones’ and I overdubbed a number of solos over the track. I think it worked out pretty good. Keith kindly sent me a magnum of champagne after the session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqbmgsuHcYY

07_mmiller_body_03.jpg

Lemmy Caution

Thanks you for this thread! I'm having a great time reading this. I first saw the Yardbirds at the Alexandria Roller Rink outside Washington DC just before Christmas in 1965 and again the following year - both shows. The '66 shows if memory serves had Beck and Page - though Beck may have been at only one show. I was in 9th grade at the time (13-14 yrs old). Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton my music were heros. I'm sure after I got home, I would have taken my Telecaster and Twin Reverb out to the garage to annoy neighbors. This was a great period for music. I remember adding Page to my list of heros after hearing "White Summer" for the first time.

Thanks again for jarring my memories.

Edited by Lemmy Caution

MrZoSo

25 MAR 1998

tumblr_m1eyv4zL2u1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

Page and Plant played Shepherd’s Bush Empire, London Walking out of Wembley into Shepherd’s Bush.

MrZoSo

Thanks you for this thread! I'm having a great time reading this. I first saw the Yardbirds at the Alexandria Roller Rink outside Washington DC just before Christmas in 1965 and again the following year - both shows. The '66 shows if memory serves had Beck and Page - though Beck may have been at only one show. I was in 9th grade at the time (13-14 yrs old). Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton my music were heros. I'm sure after I got home, I would have taken my Telecaster and Twin Reverb out to the garage to annoy neighbors. This was a great period for music. I remember adding Page to my list of heros after hearing "White Summer" for the first time.

Thanks again for jarring my memories.

Great story Lemmy. Thank you for sharing.

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY… 26 MAR 1973

LED ZEPPELIN PLAYED IN LYON, FRANCE

tumblr_m1gxih6m7S1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

By this point in time, the French had become quite passionate about seeing their music for free and we had cut the French tour short due to nil security at the concerts and a fighting rabble inside the building. However, we’d been cajoled into playing this as our last date of the French tour. It was so chaotic getting into the building and, although the audience were really enthusiastic, the whole of this episode had left such a sour taste that we didn’t play in France again with Led Zeppelin until Paris in the 1980 tour.

PHOTOGRAPH: © CLAUDE GASSIAN 1973

MrZoSo

27 Mar 1998

Page and Plant appeared on TFI Friday

ppmarch-1.png

A live broadcast from the Riverside Studios for Chris Evans' show 'TFI Friday', where Robert Plant and I had an interview with Chris and performed 'Rock and Roll' and 'Most High' as part of the promotion for 'Walking into Clarksdale'. I liked Chris and his show very much, he definitely had the best show on TV at that time.

On this day… 28 Mar 1973

'Houses of the Holy' by Led Zeppelin was released

tumblr_m1kir5qBhV1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

My original idea for the opening tracks of 'Houses of the Holy' was that 'The Song Remains the Same' (originally called 'The Overture') would be a rousing instrumental introduction with layered electric guitars that would then segue into the next one, later to be titled 'The Rain Song'.

Again there would be a contrasting acoustic instrumental movement that led to the first vocal of the album and the first verse of the song. During the routining of 'The Song Remains the Same', (then titled 'The Plumpton and Worcester Races'), the half time vocal section was born and 'The Overture' shaped into a song. These rehearsals were done in Puddletown, on the River Piddle in Dorset.

When we came to record this on 18th May 1972 on The Rolling Stones' mobile truck at Stargroves, the backing track of 'The Song Remains the Same' was played on a Fender electric 12-string, with Les Paul overdubs and standard tuning. 'The Rain Song' was in an unorthodox tuning on the six-string. On live shows it became a workout feature for the double neck.

March 29th 1965

t_290365.png

In the UK charts this week in 1965, I appeared on 'I Can't Explain' by The Who, where I played second guitar to Pete Townshend's lead, 'I Know A Place' by Petula Clark and 'Come And Stay With Me' by Marianne Faithfull, as a studio musician.

Ten years later on, this week in March 1975, Led Zeppelin were the first band ever to have six albums on the Billboard charts.

tumblr_m1o855mwB51qmle2jo1_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 30 MAR 1968

I PLAYED AT THE ANDERSON THEATER, NEW YORK WITH THE YARDBIRDS

On this day in 1968, The Yardbirds played the Anderson Theater in New York and Epic Records hoped to record the show.

tumblr_m1o83uvffD1qgsgo9.png

On this day… 31 Mar 1975

'Suicide Sal' by Maggie Bell was released

'Suicide Sal'

by Maggie Bell was released

On this day in 1975, the album 'Suicide Sal' by Maggie Bell was released. This album was recorded in the studio at Tittenhurst Park, which was John Lennon’s house in Surrey. The house was then in the ownership of Ringo Starr.

I overdubbed on the track ‘If You Don’t Know’ which had a solo in shades of blue, and a jaunty solo on 'Coming On Strong'. Maggie Bell was one of the signings to the Swan Song label. I’d always considered it to be a pretty good solo on ‘If You Don’t Know'.

3310375.jpg

2310375.jpg

1310375.jpg

April 1st

tumblr_m1rxs9ff5D1qmle2j.png

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

On this day… 02 Apr 1973

I played Paris with Led Zeppelin

In 1973, I was due to play with Led Zeppelin at the Palais de Sport in Paris. It was due to be the last concert of a chaotic provincial tour of France, with dates cancelled due to serious violent chaos. In France at this time there was an aggressive movement for free concerts and after having been spat on on the way into the show, the band made a decision not to play in France again, much to the chagrin of local journalists who asked the question: "Do you really think you can carry on without playing France…?"

4212.jpg

MrZoSo

03 APR 1968

I played the last studio sessions in New York with The Yardbirds

This is the first of three recording days in New York - the last ever Yardbirds studio sessions with Keith Relf on vocals, Chris Dreja on bass, Jim McCarty on drums and percussion and myself on guitars.

The titles were:

‘Avron Knows’, ‘Hold on Me’, ‘Spanish Blood’, ‘My Baby’ and ‘Knowing That I’m Losing You’.

tumblr_m1vqdpMwAS1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

04 APRIL 2009

I INDUCTED JEFF BECK into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tumblr_m1xjai7KIS1qmle2jo1_500.png

I was asked to participate at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, to give an induction speech for Jeff Beck. Jeff deserves all accolades for his musical contribution. There are many guitarists, then there is Jeff Beck. We had some fun that night with ‘Bolero’ and ‘Immigrant Song’, and we soundchecked ‘Bolero’ that afternoon. But the idea of the ‘Immigrant Song’ was discussed and mapped out later at the hotel and in the car on the way to the ceremony. He and his band were exhilarating and a thrill to play with.

tumblr_m1xjai7KIS1qmle2jo4_500.png

tumblr_m1xjai7KIS1qmle2jo2_250.png

tumblr_m1xjai7KIS1qmle2jo3_250.png

robznet

Great reading my friend! Thanks.

MrZoSo

05 APR 1999

I RECORDED AT THE DEPOT STUDIOS, LONDON

tumblr_m1zcdkS1N91qmle2jo1_500.jpg

By today I had recorded, for reference, numerous tracks along with Michael Lee on drums, the process took about 3 days at the Depot rehearsal rooms in London. It comprised many song ideas I had for a possibility of a future recording. This is a fragment of the first song recorded.

http://soundcloud.co...session/s-Q7z15

PHOTOGRAPH © Ross Halfin 1999

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

06 APRIL 1958

I APPEARED ON BBC'S

'ALL YOUR OWN'

PROGRAMME

1_060458.jpg

ON THIS DAY

On this day in 1958, I appeared on the BBC's 'All Your Own' programme hosted by Huw Wheldon. It was a show that showcased kids with talent or unusual hobbies and at that time I probably fell into the second category. It was a skiffle group, an infectious form of music that was played on the radio, and TV at that time. Being accessible for kids to be able to play with a minim of chords. The source for most of this music came from the USA: Woody Guthrie, Lead Belly, country blues etc. The shining light and inspiration to many aspiring skifflers was Lonnie Donegan.

I remember being very nervous during this TV show.

MrZoSo

On this day… 07 Apr 1977

I played at Chicago Stadium with Led Zeppelin

tumblr_m235ecuBcF1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

On this day in 1977, we opened the set on the 1977 tour with 'The Song Remains The Same' and in the extras section of the Led Zeppelin DVD there is a version of this edited from various sources. It displays the full-on energy of the approach to that tour.

MrZoSo

08 Apr 2004

I visited Cairo, Egypt

tumblr_m24walRZcM1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

On the centenary of Aleister Crowley's channelling 'The Book of the Law', I revisited the Egyptian Museum of Cairo to see the 'Stele of Revealing'; the conduit to that event. I was curious to see how many people might attend the museum and indeed there was a small gathering of Thelemites.

3080404.jpg

2080404.jpg

1080404.jpg

Tiderback

Just awesome! It all I can say. Awesome!

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY… 09 APR 1969

LED ZEPPELIN PLAYED THE TOBY JUG IN TOLWORTH

tumblr_m26qpx4ZFE1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

This venue was a Charrington’s pub, with a small events room at the back - the sort of thing that would have serviced wedding receptions for small families. It had become a recognised rock gig venue and Led Zeppelin played it.

The Toby Jug was just outside central London on the A3 road, by the Tolworth Bypass. In fact, the roundabout was known as the ‘Toby Jug roundabout’. I went back to visit this musical cauldron in the 90s, and wondered how we got an audience in this small space at all, even with the limited equipment at the time.

David Bowie’s first night of the Ziggy Stardust tour was here: he must have been brave.

The Toby Jug was demolished in 2008, taking with it the musical imprint of Led Zeppelin and the Spiders from mars.

From our notes, the dates was performed of the 9th, some people say it was the 16th - it was a long time ago and I don’t remember!

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY… 10 APR 1977

I DEBUTED THE STORMTROOPER OUTFIT IN CHICAGO

tumblr_m28v13qsPO1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

This show was on an Easter Sunday, it was the first time I wore the Storm Trooper outfit, but not the last. Soon after this I began to alternate between the white poppy suit and the black dragon suit for shows.

MrZoSo

On this day in 2010

tumblr_m2afxpIxJ61qmle2jo1_500.png

I saw Bad Company at Wembley and I went with original drummer Simon Kirk and guitarist Mick Ralphs. It was really good to hear those guys going through their paces and Paul Rodgers' performance was high class. He hasn't lost his magic.

1110410.png

2110410.jpg

Steelfish

Bloody awesome Zoso40x401.gif........Thank you my friend. 4_19_21.gif

MrZoSo

tumblr_m2lhi4LXsX1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 17 APR 1964

‘HUSH YOUR MOUTH’ BY MICKEY FINN & THE BLUE MEN WAS RELEASED

On the 17th of April 1964, ‘Hush Your Mouth’ by Mickey Finn and the Blue Men was released.

This is one of the sessions I did whilst I was still at art school and on this I played harmonica. Mickey Finn and the Blue Men had applied a blue beat rhythm to the Jimmy Reid song ‘Hush Your Mouth’. I had done other recordings with this band: the guys were cool and were always good to play with.

On this day in 1960, Eddie Cochran died in a road traffic accident in Chippenham, Wiltshire. RIP.

16 APR 1965

LULU RELEASED ‘SATISFIED’ / ‘

Today sees the release of ‘Surprise Surprise’ / ‘Satisfied’. I played guitar on ‘Surprise Surprise’, a Rolling Stones song recorded by Lulu. It would have been done at Decca Number 2 Studios in West Hampstead, London.

tumblr_m2hs37j9BW1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2hs37j9BW1qmle2jo2_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 15 APR 1967

I PLAYED THREE SHOWS IN DENMARK WITH THE YARDBIRDS
On this day in 1967, the four live Yardbirds played these three shows in Denmark, warming up for a distant American Tour. It was a similar strategy to be deployed less than 15 months later for the New Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin.

The picture shows the Vox Electric 12 string guitar that I was to use on Yardbirds ‘Tinker Tailor’ and Led Zeppelin ‘Thank You’ recordings.
tumblr_m2hs1w5R9q1qgsgo9.png

14 APR 1969

LED ZEPPELIN APPEARED ON BBC RADIO’S TOP GEAR
This was probably the first Led Zeppelin version of Dazed & Confused recorded for BBC radio, and certainly the first audition panel for Led Zeppelin. The setlist is:

I Can’t Quit You Baby

Communication Breakdown

Dazed & Confused

The trial broadcast was sent to the production panel, here it is.

tumblr_m2fxmwGMb01qmle2jo1_400.jpg

tumblr_m2fxmwGMb01qmle2jo4_1280.jpg

13 APR 1967

I PLAYED IN AARHUS, DENMARK WITH THE YARDBIRDS

tumblr_m2ejv8r47N1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

This was the first date of the 1967 Scandinavian and European Tour for The Yardbirds, at Boom Dancing Centre, Aarhus in Denmark

tumblr_m2ejueglXc1qgsgo9.png

MrZoSo

tumblr_m2nc4s33et1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

18 APR 1993

I WAS INTERVIEWED ON FINNISH TV WITH DAVID COVERDALE

On this day in 1993, David Coverdale and I were interviewed on Enëmmän tätä, Fin-TV, as part of the press junket for EMI promoting the Coverdale Page album.

MrZoSo

tumblr_m2p8o0tar01qmle2jo1_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 19 APR 1969

‘LED ZEPPELIN II’ WAS RECORDED AT OLYMPIC STUDIOS, LONDON

On this day in 1969, the band began recording what was to be the second album at Olympic Studios with George Chkiantz engineering.

‘Whole Lotta Love’ had been rehearsed at my house in Pangbourne, along with ‘What Is and What Should Never Be’. The guitar solo on ‘What Is and What Should Never Be’ was done at this session. Further recordings and overdubs were to be done in America on the forthcoming tour.

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

20 Apr 1977

I played in Cincinnati with Led Zeppelin

On this day in 1977, Led Zeppelin played the Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati. On the same day in 1985, I played the same venue with The Firm.

1_200477.png

tumblr_m2r1fzLWHm1qmle2jo2_500.jpg

MrZoSo

On this day… 21 Apr 1998

Page and Plant released 'Walking into Clarksdale'

1210498.jpg

The Page/Plant project took a more stripped down approach to this album, with few overdubs. It was engineered by Steve Albini at the famous Studio Two at EMI, used by the Beatles.

The album eventually received a Grammy for 'Most High' but today was the release date in 1998 and we toured this extensively.

The soundsource is 'Whiskey from the Glass', it was said that an extra track was needed for the Japanese CD issue so we put this together - I think it was one take but it was quite atmospheric.