Sign in to follow this  
MrZoSo

On This Day (Jimmy Page) RWG Addition

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY… 16 MAY 1995

I PLAYED THE LA FORUM WITH ROBERT PLANT

3_160595.jpg

This is the first Page & Plant date of two at the Forum in LA on the ‘Spring in North America’ leg of the World Tour 1995. Augmented by the LA Philharmonic, we were set to introduce the audience to an array of musical colours that they had not previously experienced, with classically trained musicians providing an acoustic pad for our Egyptian string players to fly with exotic melody.[/indent]

REVIEW: Los Angeles Times

PAGE AND PLANT RAMBLE ON, UNLEDDED

In a powerhouse opening, Page, Plant and a core rock band made up of Michael Lee and Charlie Jones, the young drummer and bassist from Plant’s own band, plus the Cure’s guitarist, Porl Thompson, revved up a couple of Zep numbers in thrilling fashion. Later, in a resounding ending, a locally-recruited 20-strong string section and the eight-man ensemble of Egyptian violinists and percussionists heard on the recent Page-Plant “No Quarter” album gave fresh twists and enhanced intensities to a few more catalogue nuggets.

The Egyptian magic began to take hold with “Four Sticks,” as sinuous, then staccato violin passages augmented the hypnotic effect of the song’s churning beat. “In the Evening” closed the regular set with the Egyptians and strings boosting one of Page’s most regal riffs. The show-closing “Kashmir” was a 14-minute journey in which Page slashed out sustained chords with relish, while the Egyptians ratcheted up the tension with interludes of string and percussion work that both delayed and intensified the caravan song’s inexorable march

2_160595.jpg

Setlist

1. Tale Of Bron

2. Thank You

3. Bring It On Home

4. Ramble On

5. Shake My Tree

6. Lullaby

7. No Quarter

8. Gallows Pole

9. Hurdy Gurdy Solo / Nobody's Fault But Mine

10. Hey Hey What Can I Do

11. The Song Remains The Same

12. Since I've Been Loving You

13. Friends

14. Calling To You (inc. Down By The Seaside, Break On Through & Dazed And Confused)

15. Four Sticks

16. In The Evening

17. Black Dog

18. Kashmir

MrZoSo

tumblr_m45btoA66x1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 17 MAY 1975

I PLAYED EARLS COURT WITH LED ZEPPELIN

On this day in 1975, I began the first date of a set of five at the Earls Court Arena in London with Led Zeppelin. This is the first time that a huge back projection screen had been used in England. Quite a number of hours were spent by the production team convincing the Greater London Council that the lasers, which had recently been employed by us on tour in the USA, were not going to cause substantial damage.

It is amusing to look back on this now, because the effect was no more than a laser pen, but from little acorns, mighty Oaks do grow!

MrZoSo

tumblr_m46wrnCL8E1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 18 MAY

I PLAYED IN BIRMINGHAM

1_180512.png2_180512.png

3_180512.pngLed Zeppelin played the Jefferson Civic Center Coliseum in Birmingham, AL on the 1977 tour of the US. Just about any of the 1977 concerts were gripping by their dynamics.

4_180512.pngAlso on this day, in 1985, The Firm played the NEC in Birmingham, UK. By all accounts it was an emotional concert.

MrZoSo

tumblr_m48qqu56aV1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

19 MAY 1998

I PLAYED AT PENSACOLA, FL WITH ROBERT PLANT

This was the first date of the Page and Plant North American tour and the personnel for this tour were me on guitar, Robert Plant (vocals), Charlie Jones (bass), Phil Andrews (keyboards and cuisine) and Michael Lee on drums. With a stripped-down line-up as used on the ‘Walking into Clarksdale’ album, it gave us more freedom to explore and re-work the songs, wIthout the orchestra and supplementary musicians of the 1995 Unledded Tour. And now begin: Walking into United States. Pensacola, however, was a real slammer of a show.

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

I played three shows in Paris with The Yardbirds

On this day in 1967, I played with The Yardbirds at the HEC Business School in Paris. The dinner they gave us that night was grotesque and looked like sparrows on rice. I was vegetarian at the time, what the Hec?!

It seems not to be documented but I think we played a 'triple' in Paris around this point, ending up at a party for Eddie Barclay, whose Barclay Records was a major label in France. The Yardbirds arrived at the event but somehow we didn't get to play. Bridget Bardot was there in her leather motorcycle outfit similar to the one on the famous photo of her posing on a motorbike. She looked hot.

Brigitte-Bardot-harley.jpg

MrZoSo

On this day… 21 May 1965

I played on 'Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind' by Vashti Bunyan

On this day in 1965, I played on Vashti Bunyan's 'Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind'. It was a Jagger/Richards composition, produced by Andrew Oldham and released on Decca.

Also in this week in 1965, I played guitar on at least six records in the top thirty: the number one spot, Where Are You Now My Love by Jackie Trent; and other artists, including Burt Bacharach, Marianne Faithfull and Francoise Hardy.

List of records released in May 1965 featuring Jimmy Page

#1 - Where Are You Now My Love (Jackie Trent)

#6 - Little Bird (Marianne Faithfull)

#18 - All Over The World (Francoise Hardy)

#24 - Little Things (Dave Berry)

#27 - Trains and Boats and Planes (Burt Bacharach)

DFH

I have always loved this song!! Mr. Page certainly was in full studio mode the year I was born!! Cheers to you - and thanks for this ridiculously cool chronology of the legend....

Page and Zeppelin forever!!!!

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY… 22 MAY 2006

I RECEIVED THE POLAR MUSIC PRIZE WITH LED ZEPPELIN

On this day in 2006, I attended the Polar Music Prize Ceremony at the Konserthuset Royal Philharmonic Concert Hall in Stockholm, which is the same venue as the Nobel Prize Ceremony.

Nina Persson of The Cardigans performed ‘Whole Lotta Love’ at the concert hall. Conny Bloom sang and played acoustically at the dinner reception.

Every year, the Polar Music Prize is awarded to someone from the field of popular music and someone from the classical world. This year it had been awarded to Valery Gergiev, the passionate Russian conductor.

tumblr_m4ec7iI8C11qgsgo9.jpg

THE 2006 POLAR MUSIC PRIZE IS AWARDED TO THE BRITISH GROUP LED ZEPPELIN, ONE OF THE GREAT PIONEERS OF ROCK.

THEIR PLAYFUL AND EXPERIMENTAL MUSIC COMBINED WITH HIGHLY ECLECTIC ELEMENTS HAS TWO ESSENTIAL THEMES: MYSTICISM AND PRIMAL ENERGY. THESE ARE FEATURES THAT HAVE COME TOP DEFINE THE GENRE ‘HARD ROCK’

MrZoSo

tumblr_m4gket68Gv1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 23 MAY 1968

I PLAYED THE FILLMORE WITH THE YARDBIRDS

On this day in 1968, I played the first of three dates with The Yardbirds at the “mecca” of the underground, The Fillmore in San Francisco. Numbers featured that night were

Train Kept A Rollin’

Mr You’re a Better Man Than I

Heartful of Soul

Dazed & Confused

Shapes of Things

White Summer

I’m a Man

How Many More Years

Drinking Muddy Water

Some of these numbers would appear in the set of the yet-to-be formed Led Zeppelin when we played The Fillmore again seven and half months later, in January 1969.

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY… 24 MAY 2004

I PRESENTED B.B. KING WITH THE POLAR MUSIC PRIZE

tumblr_m4ifze1osZ1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

On this day in 2004, I presented B.B. King with the Polar Music Prize. It was an honour to be invited to be a part of this, as B.B. King was a figure who inspired generations of musicians, from his contemporaries to the present day. The soundsource is ‘ rock me baby ’ from 1964.

Also a recipient of the music prize that day was György Ligeti - the avant garde classical composer whose ‘Lux Aeterna’ was featured in the film ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’.

tumblr_m4ifze1osZ1qmle2jo2_500.jpg

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

tumblr_m4juypPp5s1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 25 MAY 1975

I PERFORMED THE LAST NIGHT AT EARLS COURT WITH LED ZEPPELIN

On this day in 1975, it was the last Earls Court concert for Led Zeppelin for a run of nine. I’m Morocco-bound from here.

I went to Morocco with Robert Plant and stayed at La Mamounia Hotel in Marrakech. We had many an adventure in Ouarzazate, Essaouira, Guelmim and also Agadir. But it was the intoxication of the Jemaa el-Fnaa, the medieval central market square of Marrakech that we would return to some twenty years later in 1995 to perform Yallah (The Truth Explodes) during the recording of the Unledded Page & Plant project.

2_260575.jpg

1_260575.jpg

MrZoSo

26 May 1998

I appeared on 'Later with Jools Holland' with Robert Plant

Filmed on the 5th May, today in 1998 was the broadcast of the Page & Plant appearance on the Jools "The Stools" Holland Show for the BBC. We performed a fast and loose version of The Wanton Song.

MrZoSo

tumblr_m4nt1gqKXG1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

27 MAY 2003

‘HOW THE WEST WAS WON’ WAS RELEASED

On this day in 2003, the CD ‘How The West Was Won’ had its release. The content was comprised of a selection of 1972 performances from The Los Angeles Forum and The Long Beach Arena on the West Coast of America. My idea was to accompany the chronological content of the Led Zeppelin DVD with some killer CD audio of a performance where the band had been firing on all cylinders - and ‘How The West Was Won’ was it. There was eager anticipation of a Led Zeppelin tour in the press around this point in time. As the band was not about to tour, the DVD and CD had to suffice!

MrZoSo

tumblr_m4v3ygyfsq1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

ON THIS DAY… 31 MAY 1969

LED ZEPPELIN PLAYED AT FILLMORE EAST, NY

On this day in 1969, I played the last night of two shows at the Fillmore East in New York, and the last night of that leg of touring in the US with Led Zeppelin.

We went back to England and continued recording at Morgan Studios. ‘Thank You’ was done at this point and then we did some more dates in England.

We returned on the 3rd July to the US to play the Atlanta Pop Festival a few days later and then continued touring.

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

tumblr_m4wtjwuADk1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

01 June 1968

I HAD MY LAST RAVE UP IN LA WITH THE YARDBIRDS

This was the last time the four live Yardbirds would play Los Angeles. The intrepid warriors played the Shrine Auditorium on this day in 1968. This was not the last date of the US tour, we had two more dates, both at The Montgomery International Speedway in Alabama, before the curtains would close on this incarnation of The Yardbirds in the USA.

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

tumblr_m548awNiY91qmle2jo1_500.jpg

05 JUN 1984

I PLAYED WITH ROCKET 88 IN NOTTINGHAM, UK

On this day in 1988, I was invited to play at the Palais in Nottingham by The Rolling Stones’ piano supremo Ian Stewart, to join his Rocket 88 band. The magnificent Ruby Turner was on the bill, but here is a song ‘Sweet Home Chicago’, which gives an idea of the spirit of those Alexis Korner jazz tribute nights. That night the band were billed as The Alexis Light Orchestra.

http://soundcloud.co...go-edit/s-YfGfU

tumblr_m5487aAEdp1qgsgo9.png

MrZoSo

08 JUN 1977

I PERFORMED AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, NY WITH LED ZEPPELIN

On this day in 1977, I played the second night of a series of six concerts with Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden in New York. This remarkable photograph is taken by Waring Abbott.

tumblr_m59s4iX7wt1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

MrZoSo

tumblr_m5dhefRBAG1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

10 JUN 1995

Page and Plant played Milan

This was my second attempt to play Milan after having been tear-gassed on the first time with Led Zeppelin. During the morning of the show, there was a message from the festival site that it was waterlogged and they couldn’t get the trucks with our equipment in. However, the ever-resourceful road crew managed to perform the near impossible and the festival was to continue. When I arrived I saw Terence Trent D’Arby performing - he was happening, albeit rain soaked. We performed our set and had an interesting communion with the inclement weather. That evening Porl Thompson guested with his former bandmates The Cure as we skidded and slid away from the festival site.

MrZoSo

tumblr_m5h78rPmoa1qmle2jo1_r1_500.jpg

12 JUN 1963

‘SWEET AND TENDER ROMANCE’ WAS RELEASED

The original 1963 release of ‘Sweet and Tender Romance’ by Carter Lewis & The Southerners was to be recorded by a host of artists including Dave Berry and PJ Proby and I played on most of them. One by The McKinleys came out in 1964. The Bangles also covered this version.

woof*

I was at their first show in the U.S.

I can't believe I still have this :)

a3509cfc.jpg

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY... 13TH JUNE 1965

I started using my Danelectro in the studio

3011265.jpg

During 1965, I had been introducing my recently acquired Danelectro guitar onto various studio dates. This photograph is from a session that appeared to combine all the guitarists from the session register for a project organised by arranger Mike Leander. The guitars would play the orchestral parts of a popular classical piece. It may have been from Bizet's 'Carmen' - it was a joyous cacophony!

1011265.jpg

MrZoSo

I was at their first show in the U.S.

I can't believe I still have this :)

a3509cfc.jpg

1968_12-26-lzcom_ticketstub.jpg

denver68_ad.jpg

denver68_review.jpg

MrZoSo

ON THIS DAY… 14 JUN 1972tumblr_m5kwxebyuo1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

STATE OF THE UNION

01_140672.pngOn this day in 1972, I played with Led Zeppelin at Nassau Coliseum in New York. I believe we would have played this venue because there were Union issues at Madison Square Garden at this time. This is reputed to be Led Zeppelin’s longest show; coming in at four and a half hours. If that’s correct, there may well have been some Union issues at the Nassau Coliseum that night!

MrZoSo

tumblr_m5mwx77CSH1qmle2jo1_500.jpg

15 JUN 1974

Bad Company’s eponymous album was released

Today in 1974 saw the release of the first signing Bad Company’s eponymous album on Swan Song; Led Zeppelin and Peter Grant’s label, a subsidiary of Atlantic.