Sign in to follow this  
LHOOQ

Orange Crush: Once Around the PloProf V2 (Lots of Pictures)

LHOOQ

Orange Crush: Once Around the PloProf V2 (Lots of Pictures)

i-pjZZ38g-X3.jpg

The PloProf is the iconic Omega of the 1970s. It represents a time when the company was pushing watch design to the limit, rather than resting on their laurels, endlessly tweaking the bombé lugs on a Speedmaster case. The 2009 Reissue was a clever update of the old Seamaster 600, but it was also a reminder both of Omega's past glories and its current case of writer's block.

I remember being excited when I first heard about the PloProf being repped. I can't even recall how long ago that was, but out popped the V1 and it looked good--other than a few things that drove the rep community absolutely bonkers. PloProf V2 was a rare occasion when the community's main complaints were addressed (esp. the functional bezel lock), yet the PloProf seems strangely ignored when it comes to making people's Best Rep lists. Why is that?

I get the feeling that there are a lot of guys who feel the same as I do: I love Omega, and I love the history behind the original Seamaster 600. I also thought the PloProf 1200 was a chunky and charismatic watch. But I still couldn't buy it. I thought about ordering one just so I could keep it in my watchbox like a museum piece. I would take it out every now and then, and admire the quality of the replication. Maybe I'd pull out a loupe and examine the caseback under the light. Wearing it, on the other hand, was something I could never imagine doing on a regular basis. The forty year-old styling calls far too much attention to itself. As much as I enjoy when people notice and appreciate the watch I'm wearing, the PloProf was a bit more arch than I prefer.

Luckily, I knew someone who did want a PloProf to wear. He's a watch collector, who is not into reps at all. I brought the V2 up in conversation, while talking about some of the excellent "fakes" that had been made in recent years. He expressed a lot of interest in the Plop, as he'd grown up seeing magazine advertisements for the watch and dreamed of owning one someday. I told him I'd get him one, and I did. This V2 belonged to me for all of three days, and I had the chance to photograph it on one evening. I got this one from Mary of Watch International, who was hospitalized just two days after sending me QC pics. Remarkably, it was still sent out by her husband, and arrived on schedule. She's such a trouper.

My time with the PloProf ended this afternoon when I handed it over to its new owner. It was very rewarding to see his face light up once I brought the V2 out of my watch roll. Also rewarding: His cash.

So let's take one spin around the PloProf, and marvel at the fantastic detail work. It really is everything it was cracked up to be, and I really can't wear it without feeling a bit silly. Congratulations if you can, as it is one impressive hunk of stainless steel.

i-QXBrVBm-X3.jpg

i-Bt9fjqS-X3.jpg

i-3BsphMg-X3.jpg

i-Zf9sVVg-X3.jpgi-LbNZPn8-X3.jpg

i-qm6czw7-X3.jpg

i-pgcFbRK-X3.jpg

i-5Wwh2Lw-X3.jpg

Orange you glad this rep exists?

(Groan.)

jeffw69

It is beautiful, nice pics as well.

I have the white dial, newest version, and now I want a black dial too!

What is wrong with me?

I can't stop buying fucking watches.

greg_r

Fantastic pics!!!

The ploppy (as it is affectionately known around these parts ;) ) was very popular here for a while, but you don't see so many of them around now, for whatever reason. I bought mine about a year ago. I love the watch, particularly on mesh, but I'll admit it doesn't get worn as much as some of my others - it's just too bulky to wear to work, so tends to get saved for weekends...

I feel your pain, Jeff!!!!! :pcsam:

mspangl

amazing pics, M .. Love mine :)

dingle

LH almost made this watch worth looking at.....almost.

:P

really great pics :clap:

Member X

I think I will +1 to a lot of those comments - the look and overall finish of these seems to be great but it's just such a massive 'statement' watch, even in a world that has a lot of large, 'statement' watches! I think perhaps it's just too bulky for everyday wear :( but it would look awesome at the beach on mesh, especially if fully lumed and being dived with... :P

Dssd

I need one of these if anyone has a v2 for sale please contact me

Beautiful watch ;) great pics

gran

Its a crazy cool watch

LHOOQ

Thanks, all!

( but it would look awesome at the beach on mesh, especially if fully lumed and being dived with... :P

Sure, sure... It would go great with that white Speedo. :P

We need this on a coffee mug!

kan3

I like the pics more than the watch.