Sign in to follow this  
maduro

Rolex GMT II needs to be fixed

maduro

Hi, I bought this watch from Lawrence and it recently stopped working. I went to change the date and after which it would not work anymore. Perhaps it's a simple fix. Can anyone guide me as to who can help me? Thank you.

Maduro

ROLEX GMT II

gmt2.jpg

watchmonger

Are you in CONUS? Go to Trusted Dealers - check out CLS. However, his plate may be pretty full.

g.man

Nice watch. What kind of movement does it have and in which country are you located?

regards

g.man

maduro

Nice watch. What kind of movement does it have and in which country are you located?

regards

g.man

The movement is ETA, I believe. I live in the US. Thanx for any help.

Maduro

maduro

Correction, the movement is ASIA 2836

GMT MASTER II ANNIVERSARY SS BLUE/RED ASIA 2836.

Maduro

watchmonger

Maduro

Maduro

Have you checked w/ Chris @ CLS?

sconehead

...hmmm, after you changed the date?

...could just need the stem reinserting properly or it could be the gear which shares the day/date mechanism for the GMT function has been dislodged somehow...

maduro

...hmmm, after you changed the date?

...could just need the stem reinserting properly or it could be the gear which shares the day/date mechanism for the GMT function has been dislodged somehow...

I hope it's simple but I have no means of fixing it myself. I checked with CLS and he said to get back to him in another 2 weeks. Must be very busy. I'll have to look for someone else in the meantime.

Infact, I want to know who can replace the asian movement with an ETA movement. Please PM me.

I should have known not to buy the asian movement but wasn't available in this watch. Even though the movement was a clone, it's not the real thing. The movement may look the same but it obviously doesn't work the same. IMHO, the asian movement will take a long time before they are near in quality to ETA.

Maduro

Edited by maduro

sconehead

...here's a useful post from Ziggy over at RWG2 from this January.

The underlying theme is that the clone 2836 is a pretty good movement...regardless of you getting a gen ETA or not, you'll still have to use the Chinese mod to enable the GMT function...basically that big gear you see in one of the pics...hope this helps mate... ;)

The latest version of the long running GMT movement is quite well made...finally...after all these years. At least the GMT parts seem to be well made, unfortunately this particular A2836-2 has been ruined by unskilled hands.

The watch was sent in for servicing, the initial teardown showed that despite being wound, the movement was not running, first sign of a problem. During the teardown, a few clues were noted, all the screws were damaged, as you can see here, the last person to work on this one wasn't even capable of selecting the correct sized screwdriver...no wonder there is so much damage...

1.jpg

Once the movement was fully torn down, a quick overall inspection revealed a show stopper, check out the damage where the pivot hole is located in the mainplate for the calendar autochange gear. I have never seen this type of damage.

2.jpg

As you can see in this picture, the hole is somewhat larger than the pivot, it's no wonder the movement would not run, the gear would move sideways and jam up the works.

3.jpg

I am baffled as to how this could happen, it looks as if someone beat it with a punch and hammer, why they did this is beyond me. Here is an overall view of the movement, note in this view the "FAKE" bottom balance c0ck side piece is removed, it's completely disfunctional and serves no purpose.

9.jpg

Here is the movement with the GMT parts removed.

8.jpg

That damage to the mainplate renders it scrap, you need a complete new mainplate, and since this movement is an Asian Clone, it's beyond repair. I offered the owner a couple of options (instead of re-assembling the movement and watch and shipping to China...) one option was that I supply a ETA 2836-2, completely serviced, and switch over the GMT parts from the Asian copy onto the ETA. The owner agreed that this was a good solution, and in reality, a cheaper solution than shipping the watch back to China.

Parts were swapped over from the clone to the ETA. Here's the clone and ETA before putting the clone back together.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

Movement is running and being tested. Along with the swap of the parts, the GMT gear and it's detent were lubricated, as were the other GMT gears, the GMT hand now snaps perfectly to it's new position when adjusting it.

Total turn time, from when the customer contacted me, to today, less than 2 weeks. How's that for customer service. That is the advantage of being organized and putting your customers first, and not ignoring them for months on end after they send you a watch for a simple job, or better yet, a relume. Barring any running problems, the watch will be in the mail by the end of the week, and back on the customer's wrist.

This is the first of the Asian clone 2836-2's that I have seen with this problem. Normally they are well made and respond well to servicing. Not sure what happend here, I suspect that the watch may have been a customer return (after he or his modder damaged the movement) and that the watch was re-sold. Typically the factory uses the correct screwdrivers, at least the automated movement assembly machines do, and the mainplate pivot hole damage is totally bizzare...knowing that, the only possibility is that it was damaged by unskilled hands.

Thanks for reading.

10:10 Watch Repair

Here's a Swiss ETA I was working on today:

d42e0b77.jpg

there's more to it than just Swiss vs. Asian. The keyless on the 2836-2 is very sensitive and bad /over oiling will kill them quickly.

maduro

All,

I finally got my watch fixed. Katt responded to me very quickly and had the watch back in my hand in only a few days. The cost was very reasonable. I guess a screw had fallen out and had jammed up the works.

Thanks you Katt!! I would defineatly use his services again.

Maduro

g.man

All's well that ends well.

good news

g.man

watchmonger

That's great, Maduro. Glad it worked out! :lol:

TxRub779

katt is a jedi