Sign in to follow this  
midasmook

Strap Change on AP Roo

midasmook

I just received my AP Roo Safari from Toro and it's a beauty. The first thing I'm going to do is change the poor rep strap to a Hornback Aligator I had bought from Donerix. The strap change on these can be a nightmare so I thought I'd take some pics and let you see how it's done.

Here we go.

This is the AP Roo Safari from Toro just out the package.

DSCN3696.jpg

This is the rep strap.

DSCN3698.jpg

First thing to do is very carefully loosen the screws on the lugs.

DSCN3701.jpg

Nice and easy don't force it.

DSCN3702.jpg

That's one side off.

DSCN3703.jpg

Loosen the other side as well. A pair of tweezers are handy for pulling the screws out.

DSCN3704.jpg

Rep strap off.

DSCN3706.jpg

Now we have to take the lugs off the rep strap.

DSCN3707.jpg

The screws on these have one short end and a long end. Once you have the short end off use a toothpick to push the other end out.

DSCN3708.jpg

Everything off and now to put the new strap on.

DSCN3711.jpg

One lug in first along with the long end of the screw.

DSCN3712.jpg

You have to hold both ends of the screw to tighten so I find it easier if you can have one screwdriver fixed as shown here.

DSCN3713.jpg

Rest the long end on the fixed driver and screw the short end in on the other side . This stops the screw from turning.

DSCN3715.jpg

Do that with both sides and your lugs are now on the strap.

DSCN3717.jpg

Now all we have to do is fix the lugs to the watch head and put in the screws.

DSCN3718.jpg

Work the screw in ready for tightening.

DSCN3719.jpg

Once in tighten very carefully.

DSCN3720.jpg

Now for the other side. Notice where the thread is on the screw, up at the neck.

DSCN3721.jpg

One side completed.

DSCN3722.jpg

Fit the other side.

DSCN3724.jpg

Done.

DSCN3728.jpg

Fit on wrist and go show off.

DSCN3735.jpg

Hope this helps other AP Roo owners having trouble fitting a new strap.

Kaiser

Nice tutorial Midas, thanks for taking the effort, I'm sure some time in a not too distant future I will be changing a strap on an AP myself. One question, is it not an option to simply keep the lugs attached to the watchhead and just exchange the strap (without removing the lugs)?

onionbag

Clear, concise, what more could we ask for? Terrific work midasmook.

RichardMiami

MIDASMOOK -- This is a GREAT tutorial. Thank you very much for the work you did putting this together! I am thinking this is an instant sticky once the mods see it.

Awesome work.

Chiquita Fanjita

Great write up mate, and lovely new AP :)

Del

Great tutorial Midas. :clap:

It was you that told me how to change the strap on my AP Diver (exactly like above) and I was so glad you did because it is quite unusual and there are many ways for you to damage something. Thanks again! ;)

One question, is it not an option to simply keep the lugs attached to the watchhead and just exchange the strap (without removing the lugs)?

It is technically possible but you will find it very awkward attaching the new strap to the watch head - remember, that is the part where you need a screwdriver at each end to stop the bar turning as you try to tighten the screws. Believe me, Midasmook's way is the best. ;)

midasmook

Pleasure to do this guys as I know a lot of people have problems with these.

bubbaa

Sticky please! :thumbsup:

jeffw69

Thanks bro!

I need to get a second 'fixed' screwdriver so that I can change my straps.

Baldrick

As said, it can be tricky to fit these, not only that but a lot of aftermarket straps for AP sometimes won't align with all the holes, it can be a nightmare, good tutorial from MM, it's the best way :D

[email protected] you don't need it, I'll take the old crap strap from you, I have a spare AP head that needs a strap.....quanto?

Luthier

Nice tut, thanks, Midas!

But honestly - I like rep. strap much more.

str8

Kudos!!!! This will come in handy ... thanks MM :thumbsup:

Silverspeed

Good tutorial Midas...wel done, my aftermarket strap was a royal pain in the arse to fit the rep Safari....looks like the Donerix strap is more flexible

@Luth...you must be joking...the rep strap on these AP ROO are horrible pieces of plastic shite

kolchak

Beautiful combo & excellent explanation. I searched google for info on changing my AP MH strap & this is much better than anything I found.

gran

Thanks....great info....and black straps for me

NBJeeper

Where can I buy one of these straps?

stockmover

Great tutorial!

Left Coast Guy

Great tutorial, though I will say, this assumes your strap is compatible with your watch, and by that I mean the nice hornback straps usually include plastic insert and that insert can make the spacing awful tight. Two drill its, a circular file and a hammer later, I barely have my new hornback mounted....

ag69

I just picked up a safari this morning. This tutorial will be very helpful when I get around to changing the strap!!

Chiquita Fanjita

This should be a sticky in the AP section I'd say ;)

LondonBB

Unless I'm missing something I don't understand why its necessary to entirely remove the lugs from watch case. Whenever I change the straps on my APs I just remove the stud that goes through the strap and lugs, leaving the lugs untouched on watch case. The fewer screws to remove the less chance of mucking one up.

TheSociety

Thank you for this. I have a JF diver coming in that I want to swap to a bracelet this is gonna come in handy!

TheSociety
Unless I'm missing something I don't understand why its necessary to entirely remove the lugs from watch case. Whenever I change the straps on my APs I just remove the stud that goes through the strap and lugs, leaving the lugs untouched on watch case. The fewer screws to remove the less chance of mucking one up.

Maybe some people find it easier to install the lugs first ? But your way makes sense too. I don't know I'm about to do it today so we'll see.

I'll try it your way first since less messing with screws = better