Sign in to follow this  
DFH

Personal "Grail" project with DSN...

DFH

Finally decided to have Davidsen build my dream grail watch - a fantasy "best of" version of my fave Panerai attributes. Would love your thoughts on this, and to know if anyone has built something similar. Any suggestions for strap & buckle combo? Which crown version?Cheers...

- DSN 47mm case

- 4 line (Luminor Panerai / Marina Miltare) dial

- gold hands

- superlumed

- Plexi crystal

- Rolex Cal.168 Movement

- OP Brevettato engraved display caseback

- Brevet crown (no CG)

- all parts to be lightly "vintagized" for effect.

Reference pics from DSN album:

vintage4line.jpg

plexi.jpg

RolexBrevetmovementcase.jpg

rolexcrowns.jpg

Luthier

Where did you get this mov't? Link to DSN, please?

And what's the total, if it's not a secret?

DFH

Hey Luth - have not built it yet - just finalizing the details before starting the project with DSN. He is using this mov't on other watches like the PAM 249... Check your inbox - just sent you PM with details...

dalboy

Movement shot looks great, infact the whole thing looks good to me, i'd love one any idea of build cost.

DFH

Hey Dalboy - I should be hearing back from him in the next few days with a ballpark estimate on cost to build. I have a feeling it may be a bit high - but it's time to go afer what I really want. PLus- spending 300-400 bucks a shot on N & H factory 1:1s lately - I figure why not get what i've always really wanted, right? I will uodate here as soon as I get priciing and lead time estimates back from him - cool?

Luthier

Fantastic watch, have to admit. More info, please...

dalboy

I am sure you wont, but dont forget pics when all done.

DFH

Will definitely update you guys as I get more info fro him as we try to put this build together. The elements in the pics are from different builds and parts (past/present) I found in his photo albums - trying to ensure now that all components can be used together and then of course - nailing down how much it will all cost. I have decided to do this no matter what!!!

DFH

RWG rule #1 - if there are no pics - it did't happen - right???!!!

dingle

Nope. RWG rule #1--Luthier is always right. :)

DFH

Nope. RWG rule #1--Luthier is always right. :)

:beer2:

DeLaForce

Nice mate... Looks like a good way to spend a grand :) it's going to be a beauty!

10:10 Watch Repair

it's just plates stuck on the movement Luthier. I think he still sells them separately.

DFH

Nice mate... Looks like a good way to spend a grand :) it's going to be a beauty!

I've spent over a grand this month alone with all of the new Noob factory purchases (127 / 243) and accessories - I figure why not take a grand and do something special - right??

DeLaForce

I've spent over a grand this month alone with all of the new Noob factory purchases (127 / 243) and accessories - I figure why not take a grand and do something special - right??

Exactly !

DFH

Dilemna!! DSN got back to me today - and now I have an issue... The Rolex movement he has access to will not fit into a Luminor case - only the 47mm Radiomir case with fixed lugs. Even though this is a fantasy build - would it be a total travesty to mix the Radiomir case with the Luminor/MM dial? I have seen a few pics of some vintage models with a Radiomir dial in a Luminor cae - but not the other way around. The other option is to do the 232 case and dial with the Rolex movement/OP Brevettato display caseback and Rolex/Brevet crown. Will probably go with antiqued NATO straps due to the fixed lugs - not a huge fan of the "pilot" style snap straps...

Help!!! I need you guys and your thoughts/opinions on this one....

Luthier

Fiddy case?

DFH

Nevermind my last post - DSN just emailed me - and he found a 6154 case that will work with the movement. I was trying not to go with the fiddy case, I wanted to go true vintage.Looks like we are ok . He is doing the pricing for me now, and I should have it in the next hours.

Here is the parts list for the build:

47mm 6154 case (no crown guard)

Rolex/Brevet Crown

4 line Dial (Luminor Panerai / Marina Militare) with seconds sub-dial

Moljina / Rolex Cal. 618 movement

Officine Panerai - Brevettato engraved display caseback

Flat/Raised Saphire Crystal with colorless AR

Superlumed dial and hands

Vintage Gold hour/minute/seconds hands

Vintage Flat "GPF Mod - Dep" Buckle

Getting excited about this one....

Luthier

Glad you chose sapphire crystal, mate.

Question - why Rolex crown?

DFH

I chose the Rolex Crown for the movement - back in the days when Rolex was making the cases and movements for Panerai, the crowns either had a Rolex crown logo with Brevet text / or Brevet text with a cross on them. Studying up on this a bit, but looks like back in the day, whoever made the movement made the crown and had branding rights. Panerai only made the dials back then until they took over entire production of their watches. Trying to be historically accurate on this one!

Here are the build parts so far (without the saphire crystal he will add that to the existing case):

Dial

6c6dd758.jpg

Case

NEW-1.jpg

Crown

NEW-3.jpg

Movement & Caseback

NEW-5.jpg

Strap Front

NEW-6.jpg

Strap Back

NEW-7.jpg

Luthier

So, Rolex crown or cross crown? Dial is sandwich, I presume?

:)

Rest looks just great.

DFH

Still going back and forth on the crown - leaning towards the cross - what's your opinon? Dial is sandwich - dial and hands will be superlumed - also getting some vintage style gold hands but have not gotten pics yet.

More updates tomorrow!

Luthier

Gold hands for sure, cross crown too, it's Panerai!!!

DFH

You are right on the money! Brevet/ Cross crown it is - actually will complement the Brevettato engraving on the caseback.

DFH

Update - DSN is out of stock on the Moljina/Rolex movement that has sub-second hand capability. So - I have two choices - wait until he can get that movement (which he is not sure he can get in the near future) or switch to a 3646 Radiomir case / Moljina/Rolex 2 hand movement / PAM 232 dial / Brevet cross crown/ Saphire crstal with colorless AR/ Vintage gold hands/ Superlumed dial and hands.

Thinking this through - but the new version could be one hell of a nice dress watch - I could always do the other version later when he has the right movement.

Those two versions would make for a nice classic collection along with my Noob Fiddy...