Sign in to follow this  
Trolex

What is your own idea of "acceptable" in terms of timekeeping accuracy?

Trolex

So, I've been messing around with a little bastard of a 21j for more days than I'd like to admit now, and it got me thinking about what is "acceptable" as far as accuracy goes. How many seconds (or minutes) per day, gained or lost, do you feel comfortable with?

Do you hold different standards for your different mechanical movements (i.e. 21j vs a 7750 vs 2836)?

Luthier

Any mov't could be adjusted to plus-minus 5 sec. per day. But to me, personally - 10-20 sec. a day is perfectly OK.

HWG

+1 Luthier

I'm not that picky. If I am gaining or losing minutes that's an issue but a few seconds is just fine

Trolex

So, what would it take for you to take open the caseback and adjust the watch? 30 sec a day? 1 minute?

Also, any preference to gaining seconds or losing seconds? I know that I personally would rather gain 30 seconds than lose 15. Maybe from the anxieties of running behind.

bklynboy

anything less that 1 min a day doesn't merit intervention imho...

Trolex

I haven't been that picky for a while, but I'll be damned if I didn't go nuts when I noticed that I was wearing a watch that was on pace to lose an hour a day. Since then, I've been doing a better job of regulating my little collection.

I've also found that psychologically it makes a big difference if there are individual tic marks for the minutes as well as the size of the second hand (seconds at 9 doesn't bug me much with inaccuracies). So, a PAM that keeps mediocre time will bother me a lot less than something like an IWC big pilot that gains/loses half the time per day as the PAM

bklynboy

anything over 5 minutes a day and the rubber ball comes calling

myaz

I've got an inverse proportion expectation between how much I paid and accuracy. The under $100 reps I forgive but much above that price and I'd like to be under a minute per day.

Of course, not an issue with the few soul-less quartzes I've got.

Dendo

20 seconds is my limit - and fast is much better than slow.

RichardMiami

I am with Luth and HWG on this one.... if it is +/- one minute a day..... it will not get fixed by me. If it is over a few minutes a day off, then off to the shop it goes. In between is the grey area - it depends on how often I wear the watch. If it loses 2 or 3 minutes a day, but I wear it once every two weeks, who cares? Everything is relative.

jdoe

Did I lose money because I was late (or early)?

If not, it is good (provided the hands move).

Dendo

One other critical point - if it is running slightly fast or slow and you want it to be very accurate.........

To gain a few seconds lay watch on the caseback with dial up.

To lose a few seconds lay it on its side with crown down.

To lose more seconds - lay it on its side with crown facing up.

To lose hours - lay it anywhere with the crown pulled out in the hacking position :lol:

Dendo

Am I the only anal guy here? - if it loses a minute a day I am not a happy camper...........

...... and do not be taking it to the watchsmith to regulate - this is the easiest thing we should all be able to fix, being enthusiasts.

But not gen Rolex - no way am I messing with those microregulators. The TD gets this job :lol:

Trolex

No, you're definitely not the only guy here that is, but I definitely feel like we are in the minority, especially if it's a watch I wear regularly.

I know you have the watch timing post, but what is your opinion on Kello for the iPhone?

At what point does the movement probably need repaired/serviced as opposed to just being regulated? I ask this because I have a particular watch (hence the thread) which lost about an hour in a day. At least. Wound it up, wore it out, came back 6 hours later and realized that my watch was almost 20 minutes slow. Right now I have it gaining 2-3 minutes per day, but it's bugging the shit out of me.

Luthier

Such a watch definitely need cleaning service. It's dirty inside.

And... iPhone is a piece of shit. Another tool for Gov't and ad companies to know everything about you.

ReplicaFromDownunder

For me

Trolex

Such a watch definitely need cleaning service. It's dirty inside.

And... iPhone is a piece of shit. Another tool for Gov't and ad companies to know everything about you.

Lucky me. It's shit like this that put me off of this hobby in the first place a few years ago.

You ever consider a career in tech support? lol

greg_r

Given that I usually switch watches on a daily basis, I'm fairly relaxed about it - so long as it's within a minute or two, I don't really care.

Member X

I wear a different one every day, usually, so I have to set the time in the morning whatever I wear, therefore as long as it's not minutes out by the end of the day, I don't mind if it's a bit out :P

nuker

+-15 sec daily IMO. I think it also depends from movement..for example I tuned my 6497 up to +-3 sec daily.

Crusader

My watch shows diffrent time then my phone, my phone shows diffrent time then my kitchen clock, my kitchen clock shows diffrent time then my car... so few minutes + or - are acceptable :D

jcagara08

for me power reserve (at least five days LOL) is my priority then +/-5 secs a day would be safe,

i want it on a mechanical piece, not a hybrid or quartz watch.

trailboss99

+30 or -10 sec a day is about my limit to be happy if it's something I wear a lot.

I have a timgraper of cause so I get most of mine down to 10 sec or under.

That iPhone app needs an external mic to be any real use and it's best to have the caseback off the watch as well, same

with any timer. Other wise the echo spoils the accuracy.

KeNnY

I bought an timegrapher and I made all my watches near 0 gain or loose per day ! :woo:

trailboss99

Not in real time they ain't Kenny. That's just what the graph says.