Sign in to follow this  
Trolex

What is your own idea of "acceptable" in terms of timekeeping accuracy?

Member X

Wasn't it someone on here that got a DJII or DDII that showed a few seconds a day slow on the timer QC pics but it ended up being +/- 0s/day in Real Life? That's pretty impressive!

schmooze

I don't like them slow at all. I'd always rather a watch run 20 seconds fast than 5 seconds slow. Better to be early than late. If I have back to back meetings I wear a Bulova precisonist +/- 10 seconds per year. better to be safe than sorry.

RichardMiami

If you are interested, here is the global standard. Anything within these ranges is only noticed by obsessive/compulsives:

cosc.jpg

LondonBB

I got Kenny to regulate two of my DSSDs which he got running pretty much perfectly. However now they gain something like 20 secs a day, but I think athough they are regulated perfectly on the machine static when they are worn and in different positions throughout the day it changes the timing. But 20 secs is fine, although I'd prefer it not to gain much more than that.

Much, much better to gain time than lose - apart from the obvious better to be early to a meet than late etc, to resert time all you have to do is unscrew the crown, pull it out, wait the necesary number of seconds and push it in again, no fiddling around with the hands.

Jan-mj

I personally feel comfortable with +/- 15 secs a day - 20 would also be acceptable. The thing with 30 or more secs is that if you you use your watch regularely (I do) you end up loosing 3.30 minutes a week ore more! In my city the metro comes every 3 minutes - so it can be a big deal. I also think that a lot of people, putting the cosmetical aspect of a replica aside, forget that these are still timepieces - as in precission instruments. If you can expect a certain degree of precision cheap children's watch shouldn't you be able to expect some for your 200 USD or more rep? And please don't get me wrong - of course that these are reps and you shouldn't expect 100% accuracy, but do you really want to use a watch that doesn't really keep the time? Isn't that what a watch does? (except of looking good :thumbsup: )

Concluding, i think that +/- 20 secs, give or take, is fine but not more than that

KeNnY

Not in real time they ain't Kenny. That's just what the graph says.

so far my 6542 is quite correct what the graph said :)

My watch after for 4 days (assembled and set time on Sunday 23:20)

but you know you can put your watch on crown or crown on top so you can get that little difference in second , depends on watch and regulation :) I remember my Omega Plopprof that was amazing watch with amazing movement, had only 2 second gain for whole week, and didn't wear the watch for night (9 hours), always put the watch on crown up position, so made it "loose" seconds and with that watch was very accurate. yes not possible to make it ultra 0 gain and loose on all potions, but I like to put them on this state on position that I usually store them over night.

dsc1024b.jpg

dsc0993t.jpg

Chris I will reply you in email

LondonBB

Its bizarre. I used to own two gen bi-colour Brietling Chronomats and, do you know, I never bothered to check their timekeeing, but since I've had my rep DSSD's I'm obsessed by it - I think its got something to do with having the large very visible seconds hand whereas on the Breitlings they were just tiny subdials. I agree I now like my watches to keep as perfect time as possible as its really comforting somehow.

RJDamage

My watch shows diffrent time then my phone, my phone shows diffrent time then my kitchen clock, my kitchen clock shows diffrent time then my car... so few minutes + or - are acceptable :D

:thumbsup2: goes for me 2.. all my clocks run different time so I can't care to much.. but speaking about my Breitling 6.75.. its losing a minute every 3 to 4 days or so..

10:10 Watch Repair

Yes. There is no watch that can be regulated in positions to 0 sec. It partially depends on how you wear it.

onionbag

I don't care, as very little else in life runs to the timetable. If I say I'll be there at 5 o'clock, what difference does it make if I arrive at 4.59 on your watch and 5.01 on mine?

I personally feel comfortable with +/- 15 secs a day - 20 would also be acceptable. The thing with 30 or more secs is that if you you use your watch regularely (I do) you end up loosing 3.30 minutes a week ore more! In my city the metro comes every 3 minutes - so it can be a big deal.

I don't understand this, you can't lose the time. As for the metro.....get the next one, if they're every 3 mins.

All that said though, I'd be pissed if a gen didn't keep +- 5 secs a day. ;)

10:10 Watch Repair

All that said though, I'd be pissed if a gen didn't keep +- 5 secs a day.

You had better stay away from gens then.

onionbag

All that said though, I'd be pissed if a gen didn't keep +- 5 secs a day.

You had better stay away from gens then.

I plan to....purely on basis of their accuracy being somewhat iffy, a famous watchsmith told me so.

KeNnY

Yes. There is no watch that can be regulated in positions to 0 sec. It partially depends on how you wear it.

yes exactly, there was a guide for rolex watches if someone wants to have his watch precise as much as possible.

rscon3pt6.jpg

Also this would be great for everyone to read

timekeeping1.jpg

Akira

I dont mind +/- 2 mins a day.

I also enjoy setting my watch in the morning, therefore it's nothing l put energy in.

MadButcher
so far my 6542 is quite correct what the graph said :) My watch after for 4 days (assembled and set time on Sunday 23:20)

Kenny, you should give your watch good maintenance and then regulate it again - it gains 1 hour in 4 days :lolcina:

(but it was really smart from you to try to hide this issue and show us comparison with GMT+2 instead of slovakian GMT+1 ;) )

:beer2:

KeNnY
so far my 6542 is quite correct what the graph said :) My watch after for 4 days (assembled and set time on Sunday 23:20)

Kenny, you should give your watch good maintenance and then regulate it again - it gains 1 hour in 4 days :lolcina:

(but it was really smart from you to try to hide this issue and show us comparison with GMT+2 instead of slovakian GMT+1 ;) )

:beer2:

???? :D I have now 22:36 correct time , don't understand why they have on site +2 hours :lol:

MadButcher

I would prefer to have all my watches within -5/+10 sec a day, but I know it is difficult / almost impossible, especially with non-serviced A7750 movement. Much easier with swiss ETA 2836-2 in new H factory SOSF!

Also I think that timegrapher is good tool but it is true that normal daily wearing is different than lab excersises, so the best for me is to regulate watch on timegrapher close to zero (+3/+4 sec is what I need in horizontal position), and then wear the watch normally for couple of days and leave it overnight laying as you normally leave it laying - and then compare timegraphers results with "normal life performance" of the watch, which could be different and may be necessary to regulate it with timegrapher again and little bit differently. You may find that you was on +3 sec on timegrapher but actualy the watch does +20 sec so you should regulate it to -15 sec and wear it for couple of days again.

Kenny, I can see you have the movement out when you regulate your watch - is it necessary? Are you able to regulate it better comparing caseback opened only? I ask because I also bouth timegrapher and it is very difficult to measure A7750, even without caseback - doesnt matter how watch sits on microphone. Probably lot of echoes I think, but I am not going to remove movements, only if it is really bad like +/- 1 minute a day or more.

KeNnY

Yes MadButher the best way to regulate movement is to regulate it out of case, but sometimes, when the movement is in the case suddenly I have beat error zero - lol.

I regulate the watch for few days, first I regulate it with timegrapher and let it go for few days and consolidate the real timekeeping with timegrapher.

MadButcher

Dont want to remove movements, but probably will have to - watches like TAG Aquaracer 300m DayDate, PAM 187G and other 44-47mm A7750 watches dont want to cooperate with timegrapher when movement is inside :angry:

Does anybody have any watch which is not consistent in keeping time - one day it is OK, another day significant difference? This would be absolutely worst case for me. If you know that your watch loose 1 minute a day you can live with that, but if you cant be sure whether it is behind or ahead of correct time??? Are there any specific movements known to do this even when they are not broken?

the mick

Was pretty easy to satisfy but DSSD with 2836 Swiss from Mary has really spoiled me. It is regular holding time to 2-3 seconds per days... damm you Mary!

Captain Swoop

Such a watch definitely need cleaning service. It's dirty inside.

And... iPhone is a piece of shit. Another tool for Gov't and ad companies to know everything about you.

Ya, like the govt care anything about you.

Captain Swoop

I wear different watches on different days, I adjust it when I put it on and if I get to where I want to be on time I don't notice the difference.

To be honest I wear an old super tough Lorus Quartz Chronometer most of the time and it's always dead on,

Dendo

IMHO a watch regulating machine's primary purpose is to ensure that the isochronism is correct.

A secondary purpose is to adjust the timing of the watch quickly - but as has been said before - it all depends on the watch and how you wear it - two people might have very different results from the same watch. I adjust the timing by wearing it for a day or so.

I have the Kello ap but I do not believe it works well enough to warrant purchasing it.

sms

Is there a thread on the forum that explains the use and results of the Timegrapher 1000 in any detail? Just a newbie here, but I bought a machine last week. The book has very little information, just how to hook it up and turn it on.... in English, but barely. What does it use as a reference? I assume it has its own internal oscillator, if so, how accurate is that? Can the BNC connector on back be used to input a reference frequency from a crystal oscillator or other high speed frequency. I have a little box that transmits clock signals variably in the megahz range, but when I connect it to the Timegraph it doesn't appear to make any difference in the results. So I'm thinking thats not really what it's for, or else there is some other setup function I'm not getting. I hate to ask noob questions if they are readily available. I did several searches but there are so many threads with Timegraph it might take a week to find the right one.

Frankt8242

Consistency, consistency, and, consistency are the 3 most important factors....Anything within a minute/day is OK :giggle: :giggle: