Sign in to follow this  
Trolex

What is your own idea of "acceptable" in terms of timekeeping accuracy?

dalboy

Is any rep ever going to be as accurate as its gen counterpart. +/- 10 secs a day is ok by me. just so long as its faster not slower better to be early than late IMO

myaz

Is there a thread on the forum that explains the use and results of the Timegrapher 1000 in any detail? Just a newbie here, but I bought a machine last week. The book has very little information, just how to hook it up and turn it on.... in English, but barely. What does it use as a reference? I assume it has its own internal oscillator, if so, how accurate is that? Can the BNC connector on back be used to input a reference frequency from a crystal oscillator or other high speed frequency. I have a little box that transmits clock signals variably in the megahz range, but when I connect it to the Timegraph it doesn't appear to make any difference in the results. So I'm thinking thats not really what it's for, or else there is some other setup function I'm not getting. I hate to ask noob questions if they are readily available. I did several searches but there are so many threads with Timegraph it might take a week to find the right one.

Most of us wouldn't know a Timegrapher from a flux capacitor if we ran over one around a sharp curve.

I would kindly ask KeNnY or Wiz for help via PM

Jonnybaws

Just been sent QC Pics..

Time graph readings for the Don are..

+1s/d, 293*, 0.0ms @ 28,800

Doha..

-6s/d, 291*, 0.1ms @ 28,000

I'm rejecting both :giggle:

Stuvetjee

Just been sent QC Pics..

Doha..

Seriously? Necrobumper! :lol:

Jonnybaws

Just been sent QC Pics..

Doha..

Seriously? Necrobumper! :lol:

No.. but only just :D

Kwt

I think if I wore a watch and it was fast by a 3-4 minutes after 3 days or so then that is acceptable in my book.

RichardMiami

I try to set my watches to the "Cesium" standard:

A "cesium(-beam) atomic clock" (or "cesium-beam frequency standard") is a device that uses as a reference the exact frequency of the microwave spectral line emitted by atoms of the metallic element cesium, in particular its isotope of atomic weight 133 ("Cs-133"). The integral of frequency is time, so this frequency, 9,192,631,770 hertz (Hz = cycles/second), provides the fundamental unit of time, which may thus be measured by cesium clocks.

Today, cesium clocks measure frequency with an accuracy of from 2 to 3 parts in 10 to the 14th, i.e. 0.00000000000002 Hz; this corresponds to a time measurement accuracy of 2 nanoseconds per day or one second in 1,400,000 years. It is the most accurate realization of a unit that mankind has yet achieved. A cesium clock operates by exposing cesium atoms to microwaves until they vibrate at one of their resonant frequencies and then counting the corresponding cycles as a measure of time. The frequency involved is that of the energy absorbed from the incident photons when they excite the outermost electron in a cesium atom to jump ("transition") from a lower to a higher orbit.

According to quantum theory, atoms can only exist in certain discrete ("quantized") energy states depending on what orbits about their nuclei are occupied by their electrons. Different transitions are possible; those in question refer to a change in the electron and nuclear spin ("hyperfine") energy level of the lowest set of orbits called the "ground state." Cesium is the best choice of atom for such a measurement because all of its 55 electrons but the outermost are confined to orbits in stable shells of electromagnetic force. Thus, the outermost electron is not disturbed much by the others. The cesium atoms are kept in a very good vacuum of about 10 trillionths of an atmosphere so that the cesium atoms are little affected by other particles. All this means that they radiate in a narrow spectral line whose wavelength or frequency can be accurately determined.

I said that I try - I also fail... :giggle:

torobravo

I change watches so often (sometimes even twice a day) so I don't have time to check them

Mike 1108

Within 1 minute a day, it's good enough. Set it twice a week, no worries, no problems.

Prefer +/-0.001 second per year, but I'm willing to compromise. As long as I'm not late to meetings, I'm good within a few minutes a day.

"Want to date supermodels. However, I'm willing to compromise regarding looks in favor of a morally lax attitude and availability".

I have a Gen Omega Quartz Seamaster. It keeps perfect time. I rarely wear it.