Sign in to follow this  
Canto

New Guy from California

Canto

Hey, I just recently got interested in replica watches. I don't have all the terms down yet and I don't really know how to identify specific watches but there are a few I'm looking at.

I'm thinking about getting this one as my first: http://www.silix-pri...roducts_id=4201

Anyone own this watch? or can help me find reviews for it. It's pretty reasonably priced so I'm not sure if its going to be good quality or not, but its from a trusted dealer recommended by this forum. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Luthier

Yes, it's OK watch for the money, mate, but don't expect top quality.

Welcome to the forum from another Californian!

fatarms

I was a newb a few weeks ago and have slowly learned a bunch of the terms, mostly by reading, some by tough love here on the forum.

The 21J movement means that there are 21,600 beats per hour, or the second hand moves 6 times per second as it sweeps around the second dial. Some of the higher movements are 28,800 or 8 ticks per second (smoother sweeping movement of the second hand). The strap on the watch probably won't be top quality. I own three reps as of right now and two of them are 21J, since they're cheaper. I don't have a lot of disposable income to put towards this hobby as of right now, but I still really like it. The watch you're looking at is going to be equivalent to a mid to upper mid regular store watch. The internal stuff is all asian but is nothing to shake a stick at. Some Invictas use asian movements for example. This is a good watch to get your feet wet with, see how it treats you.

Pay heed to the instructions here about where to set the hour hand when you need to change the date on a 21J though, if the hour hand is too close to the 12:00 position, you can damage or cripple the movement. You want to set the watch to around 6:00 to set the date wheel.

Welcome, Cleveburg Ohitucky here.

RichardMiami

Welcome Canto... even if you are on the Left Coast....

Canto = song and Luthier = guitar maker, hmmm... the two of you ought to get along just fine!

Fatarms and Luth are right, of course. The 21J movement is the low end, so that watch is $86. On the good side, Silix is one of our Trusted Dealers -- so you are on the right path!

Set your budget and shop our TDs. Ask questions and be prepared for the nuthouse! We are an ornery group, but we all share the same passion - post counts! ummm watch collecting!

J.Eric

Hello and welcome!!

bubbaa

That's a good starter watch. You will find yourself lusting for 1:1 Ultimates once you learn enough and welcome to the darkside canto..

myaz

there's a lotta love for PAMs on this site, perhaps too much for some, and much info but that requires digging with the search function.

Fatarms nailed it because the whole thing boils down to the movement you pick.

For this as well as many, but not all watches, think of it as different engine options for the same model car.

Watch your wallet and welcome.

fatarms

And I got yelled at for not reading enough on this site in the month since I've joined :cry:

Although, Luthier hasn't yelled at me yet, as a noob, I feel left out. I PM'ed him a question a couple weeks ago though and he answered me very politely.

Sorry, Luth. Didn't mean to ruin your reputation... :giggle:

That Luthier guy is a real jerk and poo poo face.

bronco bullit

Welcome aboard