Sign in to follow this  
fatarms

Winding watches vs. letting them run out

fatarms

Ok, I looked around and didn't find anything about this here. I have four different automatic watches, and growing... I know, amateur :lol:

So I don't own an automatic watch winder, and really don't see me getting one. So I have a question for some of the people in the know here.

Is it better to let a watch run out of power and sit idle until you're ready to wear it, and then set the date, time, etc...? I figure less wear and tear on the movement if it doesn't have to work.

Or

Is it better to keep the watches wound and constantly running, making sure the movement doesn't have time to sit idle and possibly seize or jam the movement?

myaz

This was discussed before with no clear consensus so bringing it back up is helpful if someone knows of new research or findings.

The reason given for keeping a movement running was to keep the lubricant dispersed instead of pooling.

In my thinking, that makes sense with a car engine. Oil slowly draining down in the oil pan at night results in extra wear in all the bearing surface areas when the car is first started in the morning, before the oil pump builds up pressure. No such situation in watches where the oil stays in one place.

What say the hydraulilic/fluid dynamics geekxperts?

jeffw69

When I am done wearing a watch, I put it in the drawer and forget about it.

Fuck if I know what it does from there.

conx

I wear mine in a rotation - one each week. When out of rotation they sit in the watch box and wind down till they stop. So far no issues with doing this.

fatarms

This was discussed before with no clear consensus so bringing it back up is helpful if someone knows of new research or findings.

The reason given for keeping a movement running was to keep the lubricant dispersed instead of pooling.

In my thinking, that makes sense with a car engine. Oil slowly draining down in the oil pan at night results in extra wear in all the bearing surface areas when the car is first started in the morning, before the oil pump builds up pressure. No such situation in watches where the oil stays in one place.

What say the hydraulilic/fluid dynamics geekxperts?

That's kind of what I was getting at with the seizing of the movement if they sat idle too long. I know that there is a tiny amount of lubricant in the moving parts and I wasn't sure how prone to either drying up or slowly leeching into other parts of the watch due to gravity, capillary movement or whatever. So far, I try to wind each one at night, but this isn't a big deal since I only have 4 right now. Problem is I have another three coming to me in the next couple weeks, so...

Slim

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

vonGluberschmidt

I have a dual winder and two auto B&R's. I wear one for work and the other on days off. When rotating, the other goes into the winder. Never having to adjust it. It's also dust free.

Does that mean any less wear and tear on the watch? Prolly not, but it's just easy ;)

ShiroTenshi

I dont think its a problem at all to leave your watches idling. Just wind them once a month or when u wear them.

I think winders are just for show when u can just set the time/date, snap it on and off u go, takes u 30sec top.

Leigh

When I am done wearing a watch, I put it in the drawer and forget about it.

Fuck if I know what it does from there.

:rofl:

greg_r

So long as they get a chance to run every now and then when worn in rotation, they'll be fine.

robbnj

Per the folks who manufacture and repair these mechanical marvels, it is best to keep them running (short-term storage is fine) as the oil can settle out and also congeal enough that it won't go back into the contact points before damage can occur. Once the watch is wound and starts running again.

Stoaty

I read somewhere that it is good practice to keep grand compilations wound. I also read that Hitler was innocent. Go figure.

gran

Not innocent but a virigin....

myaz

Per the folks who manufacture and repair these mechanical marvels, it is best to keep them running (short-term storage is fine) as the oil can settle out and also congeal enough that it won't go back into the contact points before damage can occur. Once the watch is wound and starts running again.

Why would the oil congeal? I have kept some oils for over 15 years in a can without congealing.

Is it that oil makes a sludge from parts rubbing or does the friction elevate the temperature which decreases viscosity?

Molecular adhesion should keep the oil closest to where parts touch, like when water spreads between 2 panes of glass, so why would oil settle out when the watch is still and get sucked back into the parts when in motion?

TIA