Sign in to follow this  
stewzzy

Cape Cod Cloths - a guide for any noobs on removing scratches

Hazz

cape cod, all the way....but how black they get.

R5tdi

Great thread thanks guys got my cape cod cloths today picked them up in my local home fix hardware store

Never even heard of them till I read this just spent two hours polishing and man what a difference

As said many times seek and you will find use the search button

RichieUK

Wow.... Nice results

I have a titanium bracelet on my Chrono Avenger. Would this work?

onionbag

Wow.... Nice results

No, that'll be brushed I imagine. Use these.........http://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=172

Essentially Scotchbrite.........although the green side of a pan sponge/scourer will do the same job. ;)

RichieUK

Wow.... Nice results

No, that'll be brushed I imagine. Use these.........http://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=172

Essentially Scotchbrite.........although the green side of a pan sponge/scourer will do the same job. ;)

Thanks onionbag that's really helpful

Thrasher

I bought a PAM 388 on M2M at RWI and allegedly it has some light scratches so this will be fun. I bought a Cape Cod from RWG shop a while ago and have yet to have a use for it. Strangely I noticed that RWG shop is now closed??????

Irishcain
I bought a PAM 388 on M2M at RWI and allegedly it has some light scratches so this will be fun. I bought a Cape Cod from RWG shop a while ago and have yet to have a use for it. Strangely I noticed that RWG shop is now closed??????

Not closed, just down for a while as they do hardware updates and migration. It should be back up soon.

c888

anyone know where to get cap cod cloths in Canada? preferably locally in Vancouver?

Thrasher

EBAY for cape cod

GenTLe

Steel wool.

I know Luthier isn't here from a while, just quoting him to avoid someone to do damage on his watch.

For brushed metals I disagree and strongly recommend to avoid it: steel wool can rust (no, it WILL rust), and the tiny bits of it that will go around using steel wool will fit into the gaps of the bracelet and rust later...

Use, as said, the scotchbrite:

scotch-britetm-general-purpose-hand-pad-7447-6-in-x-9-in.jpg

Odyseus

I personally think you are better off getting a small grinder with a polishing wheel and get some Green Rouge jewellers polishing compound :)

GenTLe

For mines I use 2 systems (guaranteed working) :)

1) polished steel:

- if scratch is not extremely superficial (i.e. more serious than desk work scratch), I mask what not to be touched (crystals etc) and I use wet sandpaper nr. 1500 to remove the scratch

- then a passage with sandpaper nr. 2000 to make all ultra smooth

- finally (or just this if the scratch is very superficial - still masking the parts not to be touched -) professional bodywork fine polish (3M extrafine polish 6002) applied with dremel pressed cotton tool, with dremel at min speed and keeping the pressure light on it not to heat the cotton

2) brushed steel:

- I mask what not to be touched (crystals etc) and I use wet sandpaper nr. 1000 to 1500 (depending of how the brushed finiture is coarse) to remove the scratch, taking really care to go in the same direction of the original brush marks. Again also scotchbrite is ok, especially for uneven surfaces, but it's more difficult to get the proper grain, because there are much less versions than the sandpaper.

anfalas

1) polished steel:

- if scratch is not extremely superficial (i.e. more serious than desk work scratch), I mask what not to be touched (crystals etc) and I use wet sandpaper nr. 1500 to remove the scratch

- finally (or just this if the scratch is very superficial - still masking the parts not to be touched -) professional bodywork fine polish (3M extrafine polish 6002) applied with dremel pressed cotton tool, with dremel at min speed and keeping the pressure light on it not to heat the cotton

2) brushed steel:

- I mask what not to be touched (crystals etc) and I use wet sandpaper nr. 1000 to 1500 (depending of how the brushed finiture is coarse) to remove the scratch, taking really care to go in the same direction of the original brush marks. Again also scotchbrite is ok, especially for uneven surfaces, but it's more difficult to get the proper grain, because there are much less versions than the sandpaper.

No offence mate but that's a lot of dicking about for a very simple job! Those green scotchbrite pads get practically all scuffs and deskdives off in seconds :)

......... and as said cape cod for polished

GenTLe

No offence mate but that's a lot of dicking about for a very simple job! Those green scotchbrite pads get practically all scuffs and deskdives off in seconds :)

To each his own way...

When I got my Tag Cal.1 falling on the asphalt / my Pam 164 hitting a stone wall, I could have gone on with CapeCod for days before removing the scratches I made with those events ;)

Odyseus

1) polished steel:

2) brushed steel:

Cape cod is only good for very light scratches and nothing else . Wait until you get a deep scratch and see how well you get on with CC!

Tr1cky

seems like to different approaches for two different problems.

Cape Cod - removing light scratches and scuffs from a polished surface

Scotch bright or similar for deeper scratches and brushed finishes