Sign in to follow this  
stewzzy

Cape Cod Cloths - a guide for any noobs on removing scratches

stewzzy

I had a couple of scratches on my breitling SOHv2 strap buckle which is polished steel and I was in a shopping centre and saw a blacksmith/shoe repair shop and noticed that they had a "watch repairs" sign outside also. Thought I would pop in and see what it would be to remove the scratches (I didnt know how good the Cape Cod Cloths actually were) and the conversation that followed annoyed and baffled me.

I asked what they charged and the guy asked to see the watch so I took off the SOHv2 and he looked at the buckle and said "I cant do that because its brass and it will show up when I polish the finish off" so I angrily corrected him that it was stainless steel and we went back and forwards a few times with him insisting it wasnt stainless steel and me correcting him with him finally saying is it real. I have a good poker face and simply replied "yes and how dare you assume just because im under 30 that I shouldnt have a quality watch, just give me the price" to which he was obviously embarrassed and he said £12.00. By this time I just thought fuck off you've annoyed me and took the watch and walked out. Done a bit of research on here and bought the Cape Cod polishing cloths for less than £5.00. Because I couldnt really find any picture examples of the effectiveness of these cloths here is the result for anyone who is new to the hobby or not sure of what do do when the inevitable scratches happen to your beloved timepiece.

Hope this story has amused a few of you and I can confirm that the end result has not been a brass coloured buckle.

Some pics of before and after for your viewing pleasure :)

SAM_1229.jpg

SAM_1241.jpg

SAM_1242.jpg

SAM_1243.jpg

SAM_1248.jpg

Had to rub the buckle for a few minutes but the end result speaks for itself. Just remember that this is for polished finished stainless steel.

myaz

Way to go. Loved the story. Nice camera BTW

onionbag

Aye, those watch-repairing blacksmiths can be a pain in the arse. Cobblers to them I say. ;)

Nice job on the polish up.

I just bought a new Cape Cod cloth myself.......'twas Brasso for me, but no more, Cape Cod smells much nicer.

jeffw69

Looks like brass to me. :rofl:

Pihlippe

Nice work stewzzy

Somone know if there is a delar in Norway for cape cod?

onionbag

Nice work stewzzy

Ebay.

Pihlippe

Nice work stewzzy

Ebay.

Yes I know,just order a 3 pack for $15 shipped to Norway. :)

Just wanna know if there was a dealer near where i live.

onionbag

Nice work stewzzy

Ebay.

Yes I know,just order a 3 pack for $15 shipped to Norway. :)

Just wanna know if there was a dealer near where i live.

:D I thought it was too easy a question.

Corv99

Bloody hell! didn't think they were as good as that!

conx

Where there's muck there's brass

(Only the English amongst us are likely to understand :giggle: )

Pihlippe

Where there's muck there's brass

(Only the English amongst us are likely to understand :giggle: )

:lol: got it now....should use the word ass maybe?

Del

Great story and great result with the Cape Cod! I've got one that I've never opened - you've just given me the push to try it out. :thumbsup2:

Airglide

Anyone know if cape cod cloth will work on brushed stainless? If not, any recommendations? Thanks!

onionbag

Anyone know if cape cod cloth will work on brushed stainless? If not, any recommendations? Thanks!

Do NOT use on brushed steel, best bet for that is Scotchbrite or re-finishing pads available from RWG shop.

Polish in one direction only,

Luthier

Steel wool.

fatarms

Once you open a cape cod cloth, how long are they good for? Do they have a shelf life? Are they a liquid or dry polish?

onionbag

Once you open a cape cod cloth, how long are they good for? Do they have a shelf life? Are they a liquid or dry polish?

If you keep the bag re-sealed I guess they'd last quite a while, they can be re-activated by addition of mineral spirits.

They have liquid impregnated polishing medium.

fatarms

good to know, thank you :)

robbie888

Do NOT use on brushed steel, best bet for that is Scotchbrite or re-finishing pads available from RWG shop.

You can use the cape cod on brushed steel lightly, just to clean / fresh up your watch. Not to heavy otherwise you end up with a sort off polished watch.

Scratches on brushed steel can be removed by scotchbrite. But i always use Garryflex abrasive block (found on Ebay). I use the blue (fine) one, but for deeper scratches use the medium one. If you wish you can use the cap cod after the Garryflex for a wonderful brushed-satin look.

Airglide

You can use the cape cod on brushed steel lightly, just to clean / fresh up your watch. Not to heavy otherwise you end up with a sort off polished watch.

Scratches on brushed steel can be removed by scotchbrite. But i always use Garryflex abrasive block (found on Ebay). I use the blue (fine) one, but for deeper scratches use the medium one. If you wish you can use the cap cod after the Garryflex for a wonderful brushed-satin look.

Thanks to all for responding; Wiz recently posted a video on the process too...this is truly a great forum!

Hazz

Bought some the other day, look what they can do.

111.jpg

removed.jpg

arancini

Gotta love the Search button.

Was about to ask about Cape Cod cloths and the fact I currently use Brasso.

Alas, the answer lies within this thread,

Need to buy a Cape Cod on ebay right now.

jerkstore

Me too. Cape Cod, here I come.

offshore

Cape Cod also available from the RWG shop.

O/S

black263

I had a couple of scratches on my breitling SOHv2 strap buckle which is polished steel and I was in a shopping centre and saw a blacksmith/shoe repair shop and noticed that they had a "watch repairs" sign outside also. Thought I would pop in and see what it would be to remove the scratches (I didnt know how good the Cape Cod Cloths actually were) and the conversation that followed annoyed and baffled me.

I asked what they charged and the guy asked to see the watch so I took off the SOHv2 and he looked at the buckle and said "I cant do that because its brass and it will show up when I polish the finish off" so I angrily corrected him that it was stainless steel and we went back and forwards a few times with him insisting it wasnt stainless steel and me correcting him with him finally saying is it real. I have a good poker face and simply replied "yes and how dare you assume just because im under 30 that I shouldnt have a quality watch, just give me the price" to which he was obviously embarrassed and he said £12.00. By this time I just thought fuck off you've annoyed me and took the watch and walked out. Done a bit of research on here and bought the Cape Cod polishing cloths for less than £5.00. Because I couldnt really find any picture examples of the effectiveness of these cloths here is the result for anyone who is new to the hobby or not sure of what do do when the inevitable scratches happen to your beloved timepiece.

Hope this story has amused a few of you and I can confirm that the end result has not been a brass coloured buckle.

Some pics of before and after for your viewing pleasure smile.png

SAM_1229.jpg

SAM_1241.jpg

SAM_1242.jpg

SAM_1243.jpg

SAM_1248.jpg

Had to rub the buckle for a few minutes but the end result speaks for itself. Just remember that this is for polished finished stainless steel.

I just gotta have one of those camera watches!!