onzenuub

Removing the Seconds Ouput of an ETA/Unitas 6497 Movement

onzenuub

Another one from Francisco.

First a picture of two Panerais. Left, PAM 111H, right PAM 112H.

4066000730_c8f64dcf0a_o.jpg

Do you want to convert your PAM 111 in a 112? Then you have to remove the seconds output.

Or do you have a PAM 112 and you want to use the movement for a 111? Then you have to add a seconds output.

In this tutorial you will learn how to do it. How to add or to remove the seconds output of an ETA/Unitas 6497 movement.

This tutorial supposes that you know how to remove the movement from the case, and how to remove the hands and the dial. If you do not know how to do it… please, read this tutorial about cannon pin mod for PAMs:

http://www.replica-watch-guide.net/forum/i...?showtopic=2766

This is view of the 6497 movement of a 111 PAM (with seconds output) when the dial has been removed. Red circle shows the seconds output. It is a pin where the hand seconds is attached on.

4065250545_82729115f7_o.jpg

As the picture shows, there is a jewel in this seconds output. Jewels are very hard, but fragile. One of the possible tasks for removing the seconds output is just filing this output.

Please, I know that some people are just filing this pin… however, you should not do it in this way. There is a not small risk of damaging this jewel when filing. In addition, the metallic sand that is produced when you file the pin may go to a place in the movement producing mal functioning. Just a small dust, for example, in the jewel of the seconds output and you will have problems, now or in the future. Please, again, do not file. In this tutorial a safe way of doing this modification is shown.

What we are going to do is to remove the gear of the seconds output (technical name = “seconds wheelâ€). Then we have to options:

1.- To change the seconds wheel for the seconds wheel of the 112 movement (shorter pin, no visible output).

2.- Cutting the output pin, the seconds output.

References for Cousins web store (www.cousinsuk.com):

Seconds wheel for the PAM 111: UT64971224

Seconds wheel for the PAM 111, hight of 4.75mm: UT6497224H475

Seconds wheel for the PAM 112 (no seconds output): UT64971220

In order to remove the seconds wheel, the main bridge has to be removed. The arrows show the screws to be removed:

4066000948_3620ca5032_o.jpg

In next picture the screws have been removed:

4066001074_37ee03e3ef_o.jpg

The bridge is removed with care, and the next picture shows the result:

4065250879_4b9767b98a_o.jpg

Green arrow of previous picture shows the seconds wheel. On the other face of this wheel is the seconds output. This is the gear to be removed. However, to remove it, it is necessary to remove the small bridge that the screw shown by the red arrow is fastening.

Next picture shows the result when the small bridge is removed:

4066001278_680cf7b466_o.jpg

Now it is easy to remove the second wheel. If you have bought the seconds wheel for the 112… now you only have to exchange it.

If you have a 112 and you want to add a seconds output…it is time to put the seconds wheel with longer pin (see previous references)… then you are adding a seconds output to the mechanism.

If you do not have the seconds wheel for the 112, you have to cut the output pin. Next picture shows the seconds wheel of the 111 and where you must cut.

4065251135_9f59c7a2d7_o.jpg

How to cut? I see two options, using a dremel with a cutting disk, or using cutting pliers. I think that using the dremel is a best option. However, I was so lazy that I prefer to use old pliers that I have ….. I realized later they are not sharpened. There are special pliers for precision cuts… these are the models you must use. You should learn from my mistake: good pliers or the dremel.

Hence, the result after cutting was quite bad:

4066001438_96e4e19658_o.jpg

However, do not panic. Just filing, the burrs disappeared. A small burr can stop the movement. See next picture:

4066001546_a9ae872aa3_o.jpg

Now the second wheel is put it again in its place and both bridges are screwed. Final result, a movement without seconds output.

4065251375_635ac4ce6c_o.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Francisco.