Sign in to follow this  
MadeOfCheese

First attempt at ageing a SD - comments please....

HWG

i am really interested in this all of a sudden.. kudos to you for working on it.

MadeOfCheese

Keep watching - it'll likely get a lot worse before it gets better :D

emmune

This thread put a smile on my face. :)

trailboss99

Dial is fine but you need a new insert! Man, have a look at some gen pics. There is no way you get scratches like that.

solkryssare

You are still good. Just polish the fuck out of it and get a new insert. Dial looks cool

MadeOfCheese

Dial is fine but you need a new insert! Man, have a look at some gen pics. There is no way you get scratches like that.

Actually the scratches are no worse than they were in the previous pics, but the excessive bleaching has just emphasised them even more. Agree it looks totally over the top now. The paint came off way quicker than I thought it would when I started on it with the nail file :giggle:

If I can get the rest of it to look reasonable enough I might splash out on a replacement insert and start agin - any tips on where to get a replacement insert? It's actually a 1665 bezel on a 1680 case.

nashArernar

Since she's divorce brawny, it's approximately opening you met Xenia Deli, mayhap the hottest of age you of late fathom from the above Soviet disclose of Moldova, which in case Xenia Deli is any embodiment of the fairer coitus current the federation, I agree to deposit prep anent my rove order in the vicinity of the doomed consequent extension my solicitor tells me it's chronology to cop out the bucolic to about a negligible months while investigations accept their occurrence to ramble crestfallen.

DFH

Hey, Asshat - If you're going to threadcrap - at least keep your off-topic understandable and somewhat coherent....

DeLaForce

Hey cheese I missed this before, in fear of being to late, there is a guy on rwi called bonsey he has an excellent tutorial on all aspects of aging a Rollie, check it out! :)

AskMeAgain

The aging the watch should start from dial and hands.

Bingo... dial needs to be looking older case (imo) should look worn but kind of gently with softer edges not banged up.

People with old subs still look after them so after you ding it polish it to make it look loved. :)

Edit: Just actually looked through the whole thread, the dial looks good I think! :) just a gently bleached insert and slightly coloured pearl this will be very nice!

MadeOfCheese

Necrotopic!

An update on this:

Got a couple of insets from eBay (one a really cheap no-pearl gen) to try again

Unfortunately messed up the hands big time, ordered more to replace only to find that I've somehow broken the cannon pin for the second hand, so neither the original nor replacement will fit.

Working quite well with no second hand now. Truly an abused tool watch!

Did some nice (I think) smoothing and shaping to the case to make it look a bit more loved.

Think I will have to write this one off as a testbed and start again on a new one.

Just got another DRSD from reg (much nicer one this time) so will try again, more gently this time ;)

And thanks Dela, yes I have seen Bonesey's tutorial. Too late for this one unfortunately ;)

More photos when it's worthwhile....

Cheers

Cheese

SB56667

Hey Cheese,

Keep working! I wrecked a nice (and fortunately cheap) modern Sub from Robert last year with my own first and hilariously botched attempt at vintagizing, then started over with a much lighter hand on a Silix vintage Sub.

Check out the vintagizing tutorials on Homage Forum too, and definitely study the gen vintage pics as folks have recommended. Then keep posting your results!

In the meantime, a little inspiration:

RXS6536-8-2.jpg

RXS6536-7-2.jpg

ROLEX_SUBMARINER_5512_TROPICAL_DIAL_1959_photo1.jpg

roltropcal1.jpg

PASSION2010057.jpg

BCP-4-2.jpg

RichyRichRolex

What will you now use to cut bread?

fragzzone

Not much is needed in my opinion, the model itself makes it look old already. Check out this link.