Sign in to follow this  
ReplicaFromDownunder

SOH Crown Guard - won't screw in- my fav watch! Please help

ReplicaFromDownunder

Fellow watch lovers,

my recently purchased SOH v2 from Mary is having an issue with the crown guard.

It won't screw in, all other functions with the crown guard, : ie: date/time adjustment and turn to wind work fine.

I dissembled to try and look at it, but no luck. I have posted a video.

I get that grinding/clicking noise, similar to when you attempt to lock in a PAM292crown guard, but that actually locks it.

here is the video: attempt to lock the crown is at after 18 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqYqXhRUEQ&feature=youtu.be

any help is much appreciated :)

Dendo

I have the same problem with a PAM.

As I understand it the thread is stripped. I guess it is not on the crown which is harder metal but on the part of the case it screws down on to.

What is the fix? I would like to know also.

ReplicaFromDownunder

This watch has a internal crown thread. I had a Look in there it appears to be OK. But then again even if the start of the thread is worn it wouldn't be catching. Could be that, not really sure :wacko:

kolchak

Try pinching the tube that the crown screws in to lightly with a pair of needle nose.

ReplicaFromDownunder

Try pinching the tube that the crown screws in to lightly with a pair of needle nose.

WOW THAT WORKED!! Amazing. Thank you Kolchak!!!!!!! Lightly was the trick.. Wonder why that needed tightening.

Kolchak, do you possibly think its on it's way out? long term I mean?

Now I have to open it again remove the retainer and take the dial out as a I got a pubic hair on the glass... :)

ReplicaFromDownunder

7dd187c2-9587-4569.jpg

Crown guard is back in action! Removing pubic hairs now.. time to open!

sent via my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

ReplicaFromDownunder

wow that is a friggen horrible picture... I'll take a sweet one once I clean it up. What to use on the glass? someone once told me 3M tape, you know the frosty one with little glue residue.

ReplicaFromDownunder

7dd187c2-9765-bf77.jpg

sent via my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Luthier

Pushing crown tube out from inside the case on 0,5mm always fix this problem permanently.

ReplicaFromDownunder

Thanks Luthier

ReplicaFromDownunder

the Mesh is good, but was a cheap feel. But the rubber is great.

sconehead

The black SOH is by far the classiest imo...oh and pics of the pube please...it's just the way I roll...*cough*

ReplicaFromDownunder

The black SOH is by far the classiest imo...oh and pics of the pube please...it's just the way I roll...*cough*

I couldn't decide between black and blue. Turned out Mary only had black, so black it was.

Don't regret it, simply looks great! Black on black with the rubber. nice! I wear this thing everyday now. Rollies are collecting dust. But they are not forgotten.

kolchak

Really glad it worked! if forced to choose one watch it would be an SOH.

I did same proceedure on mine a year ago and still ticking however with your skills i'd do Luthier's perm fix.

ReplicaFromDownunder

HELP! Went to push out the crown tube , lightly however part of it snapped. It is very soft.

I emailed Rochest, hopefully he can arrange something? otherwise this watch is in big trouble.

IMAG1260.jpg

Member X

Bugger :(

The best fix would be a gen crown and tube but they are hard to come by :(

ReplicaFromDownunder

Damn mate. can't get this crown in! Hopefully Rochest can sort it out, my only option! :(

ReplicaFromDownunder

th

Bugger :(

The best fix would be a gen crown and tube but they are hard to come by :(

is the crown tube attached to the case? from what I can see it is and noway to remove the actually crown tube

ReplicaFromDownunder

Email sent to Rochest. Pending a reply. Hopefully he can take this back and sort it out. I only had the watch 2 weeks and then the crown wouldn't screw in. Only been worn 6 times.

KeNnY

Well try to ask for a crown and tube hope the Factory will sell it :(

Member X

Email sent to Rochest. Pending a reply. Hopefully he can take this back and sort it out. I only had the watch 2 weeks and then the crown wouldn't screw in. Only been worn 6 times.

You have to be veeeery careful with these crowns/tubes, they are a known weak point!

For anyone else with one of these, wanting to avoid this issue, you should push the crown against the threads (when you have finished setting the day/date) and then rotate it towards you, as if you were undoing it. This will mean that the crown then 'jumps' inwards a tiny amount when the thread runs out, down onto the thread below it - you are then good to gently screw it in (i.e. away from you) because you have found the end of the thread (i.e. where the crown and tube are supposed to meet and screw together) and shouldn't risk stripping the thread :)

Well try to ask for a crown and tube hope the Factory will sell it :(

Good luck - the factory has never liked selling just parts for these, I asked Mary regarding a bezel insert and she said they were not helpful :(

ReplicaFromDownunder

now when I put the crown guard in, it locks into the little rotor but doesnt spin. so it is not adjusting anything /wind/date change/time etc. it looks like the little rotor that the crown locks into is loose. dont want to removethe whole swiss ETA 2824-2 movement to fix this as I have no idea on how to remove it

ReplicaFromDownunder

going to leave this one and see what Rochest says. hope send it off to him and he can fix it.

k3rm87

Did you know you're meant to wear a watch on your wrist and not around your cock?