Sign in to follow this  
niklas

Modding BK Rolex Submariner [part 2]

niklas

Good evening

I've had this Submariner, that I originally bought from BK, for a little over a year now. This is the second time I'm modifying it as there are still a couple of flaws that really bugs me when wearing it. There's a link for to the original thread in my signature.

This is the watch I've been working on.

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

The "12" and "6" hour markers doesn't line up properly, and the crown at "6" is completely off. I begin by removing the case back.

IMG_0521.jpg

Quick shots of swiss movement and caskets.

IMG_0525.jpgIMG_0528.jpg

I then remove the movement.

IMG_0534.jpg

This is the dial.

IMG_0539.jpg

As you can see in this close-up picture the "12" hour marker is slightly off.

IMG_0542.jpg

As you can see in this picture the "6" hour marker, despite my previous attempts to straighten it out, is still slightly off.

IMG_0544.jpg

This is the "12" hour marker after refitting.

IMG_0547.jpg

This is the "6" hour marker after refitting.

IMG_0548.jpg

I couldn't just realign the sapphire so that the crown at "6" would line up properly, as the cyclop was already ligning up. Therefore I had to refit the cyclop on the sapphire crystal. This is the result after a lot of fiddling.

IMG_0558.jpgIMG_0567.jpgIMG_0571.jpgIMG_0572.jpgIMG_0574.jpg

Thank you for watching :-) Your comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Luthier

Mate, my question is - what for you paid such an amount of money, if there's so many flaws, even hands are wrong?

Crusader

I'm quite noobish when it comes to Submariners, but that seems quite some work for the watch that costs that much.

Doing mods like these on noobmariner would be understandable, but on this one I would wonder where my money went.

Luthier

I just noticed - laser etched crown is waaaay off too.

And, mate, are you 100% sure it's Swiss ETA?

niklas

Mate, my question is - what for you paid such an amount of money, if there's so many flaws, even hands are wrong?

I agree with you. Today I'd definitely buy the Noobmariner and modify it myself.

I'm quite noobish when it comes to Submariners, but that seems quite some work for the watch that costs that much.

Doing mods like these on noobmariner would be understandable, but on this one I would wonder where my money went.

I just noticed - laser etched crown is waaaay off too.

And, mate, are you 100% sure it's Swiss ETA?

The laser etched crown is the primary reason that I did this mod. It's fixed now, but yea it was completely off before - as I also stated in my post. Regarding the movement; I haven't taken it apart so I cannot know for sure, but seems genuine enough to me.

myaz

The point of the "12" marker was in line better with the printed coronet on the dial in the before pic or is it the angle of the pic?

powderfreak

I would be a bit dissappointed if I paid that much, but that's not the topic here.

You did a really good job, have you been doing some modding before? Because besides not having the tools I would shit myself before attempting to do something like pressing out the crystal. Really well done :clap:

jeffw69

That movement looks swiss to me.

niklas

The point of the "12" marker was in line better with the printed coronet on the dial in the before pic or is it the angle of the pic?

I really hope that's not the case, but I see what you mean judging from the picture. When I inspect it through my loupe now, it seems better so I conclude that it's a bad picture :-)

I would be a bit dissappointed if I paid that much, but that's not the topic here.

You did a really good job, have you been doing some modding before? Because besides not having the tools I would shit myself before attempting to do something like pressing out the crystal. Really well done :clap:

Thank's! :-) I've collected all the proper tools during the last couple of years. I like restoring vintage watches, and doing some light repair but that's pretty much it :-)

KeNnY

Great work mate and congratulation ! :) Now all you need is to buy correct hour hand and big indexes from V7 DSSD, drill bigger holes to the dial, put those indexes there, complete relume ofcourse , and you have AWESOME SUB way better then the stock version :)