Sign in to follow this  
onzenuub

How to remove condensation out a watch

onzenuub

Condensation can build up inside a watch crystal whenever the watch is exposed to a lot of water, extreme fog, or humidity. Whenever the watch warranty is in place, most manufacturers recommend those who are familiar with the workings of the timepiece remove the condensation. However, if the warranty has expired, there are ways to remove the condensation on your own.

Email

Print Article

Add to Favorites

Flag Article

Difficulty: Moderately EasyInstructionsThings You'll Need:

Watch

Jeweler sized tools

Watch seal

Magnifying glass

Lint free cloth

Cotton swabs

Glass cleaner

Lamp with light bulb

Sun

Hair dryer

Step 1Remove the back of the watch carefully. It you still have the instructions that came with the timepiece, use those to ensure you don't damage the watch. Otherwise, choose jeweler sized tools to pry the back off the watch without fear of causing permanent damage.

Step 2Check to see if the seal between the watch fixtures and the casing is intact. If it has eroded or broken, it will need to be replaced in order to prevent the same type of thing from happening again in the future.

However, be aware that not every watch has a seal so if you don't find one, just move on to the next step.

Step 3Check to see if water has built up inside the watch fixtures. Use a magnifying glass to do this in order to see the fixtures clearly. If moisture is obviously present, you will need to treat both the watch crystal and its fixtures for condensation.

Step 4Remove condensation from the watch crystal by wiping it clean with a lint-free cloth. Using the magnifying glass, check closely to make certain you have not smudged or streaked the crystal. If so, use a bit of glass cleaner on a cotton swab to clear up the problem. Then wipe dry again with the cloth.

Step 5Hold the watch carefully over the top of a hot lamp light bulb, if the moisture issue inside the fixtures is only mild or can't be determined. The heat from the bulb should remove any minor condensation within a few minutes without damaging watch parts.

Step 6Put both the watch crystal and fixture into direct sunlight if you are afraid of touching any of the watch's inner workings. Let it sit in place until you note that the moisture is gone by looking through the magnifying glass.

Step 7Use a hair dryer on low to medium heat setting to eliminate mild to medium condensation from either the watch crystal or the fixtures.

Step 8Check to see if the watch is working properly. Watch it for a couple of hours to make certain that it isn't losing time or otherwise malfunctioning. If so, try replacing the watch battery and then check it again. If the watch appears to be working properly, move on to the next step. If not, it may be necessary to take it to a jeweler for complete repair.

Step 9Replace the watch backing, making certain that it fits snuggly into place. If it does not, then your seal may not be in the correct position. Adjust it until the watch closes properly.

Step 10Check to make sure the crystal remains clear and the timepiece is functioning properly before snapping the watch back fully into place.

greg_r

Great post, Onze.

Here, have a sticky

sticky.jpg

Member X

lol Thanks! :)

tissotman

thanks for that

rayrolex

I put my watch with the crown unscrewed in an airtight bag with some rice (uncooked of course.) The rice absorbs the condensation.

pamelo
I put my watch with the crown unscrewed in an airtight bag with some rice (uncooked of course.) The rice absorbs the condensation.

brown rice or white rice? :wub:

any moisture absorber probably works.

zed4130

very usefull thanks for posting, i had this a few times on old divers and a seiko 6309 i had, i think all it was on that was a damp finger while putting it back together, every time i got hot it fogged up, i removed the back and let it dry out and all was good,

imos

Also you can try a silicon packet (those white little salt-looking packets you get from practically any electronic)