Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

An overview of my work area.

trailboss99

Thought I'd post some pics of my work area to give the newer members an idea of what a well equiped bench looks like.

This is set up how I like it but it's realy personal preference when it comes down to it.

The bench. Key below.

PB060001.jpg

1/ Seiko style snap back and bezel remover. This will easily remove the tightest snap on case back or a bezel without fear of damage. Much better than a case knife on an expensive watch.

2/ Tray with the most common batteries to save hauling out the big battery case every time. One compartment is for dead examples of batts not in stock and needing to be ordered next time round. That way you don't forget any.

3/ Mechanical watches awaiting parts or time to repair.

4/ Vise with case holder in place. Note also micro fiber cloth, very handy.

5/ Quartz watches awaiting a trip thru the demag/MVT driver.

6/ A pile of quartz stuff under test run after repair, gotta make sure they stay running!

Note also stickball and loupe wire hanging off lamp. The mag is only a cheapie but suits me as I tend to work with my nose on the lens. One day I'll get around to buying a decent lighted one as there is some work they are a lot handyier for.

Hand tool box.

PB060003.jpg

Drivers, case knives, blowers, band tools, loupes, pin punches, hand pullers/presses, tweezers, pliers etc.

Top drawer.

PB0600021.jpg

Jaxa and barbell openers, spring bars, sillicon grease sponge, oilers, scaplel, veriner calipers, straight edge, case back press etc. The crystal press is also in this shot.

Lower draw.

PB060005.jpg

Battery and pulse tester, de-mag/quartz driver, spare dials/MVTs, Rolex case opener and other asd stuff.

Cupboard, top shelf.

PB060006.jpg

Market stock.

Middle shelf.

PB060007.jpg

S/H stock awaiting repair, O ring kit, ultrasonic cleaner, UV lamp, watch display stands, repai envelopes and hang tags.

Next shelf.

PB060008.jpg

Watches under repair, gift boxes, various stock item, straps and braclets.

Lower shelf.

PB060009.jpg

Quartz analiser, timer, water tester. The shelf below this is battery storage for the most part plus various boxes of stuff.

And there you have it. There's not much missing now tool wise. A little lathe/mill is planed sooner or later but that's about it.

Col.

Luthier

Col. ....................

I'm fucking speechless.

onzenuub

And I am impressed

oscarmadfish
:Whistle:

greg_r

tidy little setup you've got there, mate. I'm kinda envious :Whistle:

RolexAddict

I have seen nice stuff there, :Whistle:

I notice you use a table magnificer, do you use also those little fixed on glasses ? personally I do, as these table magnificers are not enought strong for precision

trailboss99

Thanks fellas.

RA: I find the table mag enough for most work but use a 10x loupe for fine work. I will get a head mag one day but there's a few more important bits to get first. Belivei it or not Vacume uses exactly the same table mag for his lume work!

If I need to do anything REALY fine I can allways go down to Offshore's. He has a bloody great microscope that can fill the whole field of view with a screw head if need be and enough depth of field to fit a watch under with the whole thing in focus.

Col.

KinCaidk

If you can't fix it with duct tape..... You didn't use enough duct tape.

Wise words from a wizard!

jameo210369

Wow, love the set up Col. Way beyond my level, I just buy the watches and wear them.

If I'm feeling brave I'll change the straps.

dingle
Wow, love the set up Col. Way beyond my level, I just buy the watches and wear them.

If I'm feeling brave I'll change the straps.

+1

In the same boat.

sconehead

Where did you get the Seiko style snap back and bezel remover, was it expensive Col?

offshore
Where did you get the Seiko style snap back and bezel remover, was it expensive Col?

Your shop will have them in stock sconehead. Not the cheapest bit of kit going around, but bloody well engineered, and does work very well as a bezel remover too. I'll leave Col to come up with a cost, but will say you'll never get one cheaper, than what he offers you.

O/S

trailboss99

I'll get you a price Sconey. Anything you see in those pics (and lots more) can be got thru the RWG shop.

Col.

trailboss99

Sconey, check the shop, you ask, we get!

Col.

KBH

Impressive Col. It seems you're going pro on us. You gonna be doing mods and movement swaps and repairs for the forum pretty soon?

trailboss99

Sooner or later I'l think about that. Not quite yet tho.

Col.

andy66

a very impressive set up youve got there Col.....

makes me quite jealous,not that id know what to do with half of it though.

heres my set up....LOL.took me ages to source the screwdrivers.....christmas cracker last year!!!!!!!!

picturesseptember2009442.jpg

picturesseptember2009443.jpg

:lol: I KNOW.

trailboss99

Hey, it's a start mate. Just add tools as you need 'em. I needed to jump in at the deep end plus I have an exelent teacher!

Col.

andy66

as it goes,the"omegas" in the bottom tray are the watches i got before i found this place.they are automatic(faux chronos) and quite sad but keep excellent time and ive had the backs off just for a play,see how things work.im thinking the essential thing i need is a loupe or similar,all way too fiddly for the naked eye.

trailboss99

I shall add one to the shop ASAP mate.

Col.

Luthier
I shall add one to the shop ASAP mate.

Col.

You're lucky man, Col.

You have time for all this.

andy66

just the thing Col.

a few tools and a magnifier is next on my list i think.

as long as i dont see another deal of roberts first.

10:10 Watch Repair
Thanks fellas.

RA: I find the table mag enough for most work but use a 10x loupe for fine work. I will get a head mag one day but there's a few more important bits to get first. Belivei it or not Vacume uses exactly the same table mag for his lume work!

+1 on the desktop. Eye loupes are annoying.

trailboss99

Andy: we will have a complete tool kit in a zippered case available in a couple of weeks. They are being put together in HK as we speak. They will have all the basic tools you need to start off doing the simple stuff like MVT/dial swaps etc. They will not be the cheapest kits arround but all the tools will be quality stuff, not ebay junk. Our suppliers supply watchmakers the world over.

Col.

graman

Love the set up Col.....

Now I know how to source stuff through the board...it's going to help me a lot.

I did most of my tools through ebay....and it sucked...took ages.

Now...I got you babe...

:monkeyspank: