Sign in to follow this  
dking14

Hey I'm new!

dking14

Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone here, I'm Dan! I am in High School here in the US and I have recently become interested in watches. I am hoping to purchase one or two in the coming weeks so suggestions are welcome :) I like the Rolex Sub and the GMT II and the PAM183 is also a gorgeous watch.

Nice to meet you all

watchmonger

Welcome @dking14! Good hunting!

BigBuys

Well hello new, I'm old, how are you today? Actually, I should introduce myself as: My name is Buys, BigBuys. I'm sorry, that is an inside joke.

Very glad to know that you found your way here, and hope that you can exercise constraint (very very hard) and wait at least 30 days before you order ANYTHING! That will conserve your resources (money) and ensure that your first choice was a good choice. Do yourself a favor and listen closely to these weirdos that have extremely high post count. They generally know best.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you.

Oh. and Welcome to the nuthouse!

therockerz

High school.... Get a Tag or Omega. ;)

Edited by therockerz

Del

Hello and welcome! :thumbsup2:

If you're at High School then you'll still be used to studying - that's good because you have a lot of studying to do on here! Read and learn you will.....:yoda:

And we're here to help those who also help themselves. ;)

Member X

Very glad to know that you found your way here, and hope that you can exercise constraint (very very hard) and wait at least 30 days before you order ANYTHING! That will conserve your resources (money) and ensure that your first choice was a good choice.

+1

Take some time to read and learn what is available and you won't make any rash purchases that you later regret :)

What sort of High School do you go to? Is it like Beverley Hills 90210 or 'normal'? :lol: If the former, you may well be able to get away with a Rolex. If it's the latter, a Rolex may stand out too much so you might want to look at more 'under the radar' makes ;):)

conx

Welcome to the board (and the madness). As others have said, read a lot initially before plunging in and make a puchase. The best advice I can offer is buy the Trusted Dealer first, then choose the watch. The TDs here are excellent and will make sure you get the watch you are dreaming of.

Happy hunting and reading !

dalboy

Hi Dan, pleased to have you with us. start saving your allowance, your gonna need it as the bug bites hard :giggle: As Del &, Conx, said read all you can. you must be used to it by now. study the forum, and NEVER stray from the Trusted Dealers (T/Ds)

This forum is a fountain of Knowledge, don't dorget to post pics of your first purchase..............good luck.

jeffw69

If my son wore a Rolex to school, he might get jumped. Seriously.

Anyways, welcome to the forum.

I think you should have a look at Patek Phillipe, seems to be popular with the younger crowd.

Cyril_Clunge

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum :wave:

robznet

Hi Dan..................................Nuthouse.jpg

dking14

Well hello new, I'm old, how are you today? Actually, I should introduce myself as: My name is Buys, BigBuys. I'm sorry, that is an inside joke.

Very glad to know that you found your way here, and hope that you can exercise constraint (very very hard) and wait at least 30 days before you order ANYTHING! That will conserve your resources (money) and ensure that your first choice was a good choice. Do yourself a favor and listen closely to these weirdos that have extremely high post count. They generally know best.

Pleased to meet you too BigBuys.

It is hard to restrain myself from buying a watch now but I understand that waiting a while and learning all I can about this hobby before I buy is the best way to go. I will definitely listen to everyone on here knowing that you all have so much to teach.

If you're at High School then you'll still be used to studying - that's good because you have a lot of studying to do on here! Read and learn you will..... :yoda:

I am very used to studying believe me! I am reading the forum every day and doing my best to learn everything but I have a long way to go.

Very glad to know that you found your way here, and hope that you can exercise constraint (very very hard) and wait at least 30 days before you order ANYTHING! That will conserve your resources (money) and ensure that your first choice was a good choice.

+1

Take some time to read and learn what is available and you won't make any rash purchases that you later regret :)

What sort of High School do you go to? Is it like Beverley Hills 90210 or 'normal'? :lol: If the former, you may well be able to get away with a Rolex. If it's the latter, a Rolex may stand out too much so you might want to look at more 'under the radar' makes ;):)

That is great advise, I would rather wait to find a great watch then get a crappy one tomorrow.

I go to a prep school that rivals some colleges in price and while a Rolex may be a little more upscale than many watches at my school it wouldn't be unheard of.

Welcome to the board (and the madness). As others have said, read a lot initially before plunging in and make a puchase. The best advice I can offer is buy the Trusted Dealer first, then choose the watch. The TDs here are excellent and will make sure you get the watch you are dreaming of.

I am reading as much as I can before I buy. What do you men by "buy the Trusted Dealer first, then choose the watch." I believe there is a typo somewhere in there haha. I have been checking out the TD's and Mary from WatchInternational is looking like one of the best options currently.

Hi Dan, pleased to have you with us. start saving your allowance, your gonna need it as the bug bites hard :giggle: As Del &, Conx, said read all you can. you must be used to it by now. study the forum, and NEVER stray from the Trusted Dealers (T/Ds)

This forum is a fountain of Knowledge, don't dorget to post pics of your first purchase..............good luck.

I will definitely start saving my $. I have seen too many horror stories on here to even think about stepping off the beaten path.

As photography is one of my favorite hobbies posting photos will be no problem at all.

Thanks to everyone who responded I appreciate the welcoming to community! Currently I have many questions but most I can find answers to on the forum but I do have a couple that is unanswered. How much should I spend on my first watch and should I spend more on an asian clone? ...and... I have a PayPal account that is set up in my name that I can put prepaid Visa gift/debit cards onto (since I do not have a credit card), is it acceptable to pay using PayPal or is there some way that I would pay just using prepaid Visa gift/debit cards?

Thanks again!

-Dan

dalboy

Pleased to meet you too BigBuys.

It is hard to restrain myself from buying a watch now but I understand that waiting a while and learning all I can about this hobby before I buy is the best way to go. I will definitely listen to everyone on here knowing that you all have so much to teach.

If you're at High School then you'll still be used to studying - that's good because you have a lot of studying to do on here! Read and learn you will..... :yoda:

I am very used to studying believe me! I am reading the forum every day and doing my best to learn everything but I have a long way to go.

+1

That is great advise, I would rather wait to find a great watch then get a crappy one tomorrow.

I go to a prep school that rivals some colleges in price and while a Rolex may be a little more upscale than many watches at my school it wouldn't be unheard of.

I am reading as much as I can before I buy. What do you men by "buy the Trusted Dealer first, then choose the watch." I believe there is a typo somewhere in there haha. I have been checking out the TD's and Mary from WatchInternational is looking like one of the best options currently.

I will definitely start saving my $. I have seen too many horror stories on here to even think about stepping off the beaten path.

As photography is one of my favorite hobbies posting photos will be no problem at all.

Thanks to everyone who responded I appreciate the welcoming to community! Currently I have many questions but most I can find answers to on the forum but I do have a couple that is unanswered. How much should I spend on my first watch and should I spend more on an asian clone? ...and... I have a PayPal account that is set up in my name that I can put prepaid Visa gift/debit cards onto (since I do not have a credit card), is it acceptable to pay using PayPal or is there some way that I would pay just using prepaid Visa gift/debit cards?

Thanks again!

-Dan

You could use a Mastercard !!! Austin 6 can advise you on this ... :giggle: just kidding. paypal would do you just never mention Rep watch or watch in the sales section.

conx
tumblr_lxvs78WKkk1rnv6cio1_500.png

Pihlippe
7005.gif Hi welcome to the madhouse paddy-smiley101.gif

dking14

7005.gif Hi welcome to the madhouse paddy-smiley101.gif

Why thank you kind sir

Edited by dking14

myaz

What do you men by "buy the Trusted Dealer first, then choose the watch." I believe there is a typo somewhere in there haha. I have been checking out the TD's and Mary from WatchInternational is looking like one of the best options currently.

The way It's meant is that by and large, all dealers have access to the same watches, therefore choose the dealer whose terms and prices you feel the most comfortable with, then worry about the watch.

Mary/Rochest (WatchInternational) is truly outstanding but you will see that ALL the other TDs are great as well.

Sometimes, you might find a "Special" from a dealer with a terrific price.

Lastly, don't forget Member to Member sales. You get a better price on watches that often look as good as new, especially the "catch and release" ones and you have the bonus of knowing that watch works as described. Members in this community look out after each other and can be trusted. I have bought a couple that way and was more than pleased.

Trolex

Welcome!!

Glad to see you have a good head on your shoulders, and at a young age! Omega Planet Ocean wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to wear for a young guy in your shoes. It's a youthful watch IMO. I'm older than you by about a decade, but I think that you and I will see eye to eye on a lot of things. If I were going to recommend a watch for somebody in your shoes, I'd probably recommend something that you wouldn't catch shit for having but still be something that feels substantial on the wrist (not to mention be an accurate rep). I'd probably steer clear of gen watches over 5-7k, especially if you plan on buying because you will inevitably buy a fist full of watches. They're fun to have. Your dad will probably want a couple after he sees how nice yours is, I know mine did lol

edit: Bell & Ross comes to mind as well