Sign in to follow this  
Pohoho

Help!!! How to Re-install quartz second hand "stem"

Pohoho

This thing circled in purple (0.2mm diameter) flew out while I was pressing down to install the second hand on my Timex Expedition.

quartzmovement.jpg

For my watch all the hands are located in the center, I'm using this pic to explain this tiny little part that sprang out as I'm not sure what it's called.

Will this be a simple insert and press operation to put it back without a major disassembly of the movement?

I can't seem to re-insert back though.

Member X

Sounds like the seconds hand cannon pinion has decided to part company with the rest of the movement...

It may have snapped off? It should be attached to the wheel underneath it, afaik!

You may have to order a new part and strip the front-plate of the movement down.

trailboss99

I'd say you broke it mate, probably new MVT time.

Pohoho

Checked it under a microscope, part looks alright.

But alas, it decided to spring off my pincer and got lost on the floor when I was fiddling with it!

My damn pincer, I think they are just too stiff that I squeezed too hard and parts starts jumping. I had lost a few screws this way already with it.

Is there a post on pincer selection here?

Member X

Have a look in the shop :)

I sometimes work on a teatowel - you know, the non-fluffy things that stop parts 'bouncing' away but aren't likely to put fluff everywhere :)

Either that or you need a magnet to sweep over the carpet, or a small child with good eyesight to get down and find things! :D