Sign in to follow this  
Luthier

A7750 vs 21j

Luthier

What is the major differences between A7750 and 21J?

1. Reliability?

2. Keeping time?

3. Possibility of modification?

4. Sweeping?

5. Power reserve?

Does it worth to pay $150 extra?

Nowadays 21J are just great, I have both- A7750 and 21J watches, and the only difference I've noticed - A7750 have just 2-4 hours more of power reserve.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

greg_r
What is the major differences between A7750 and 21J?

1. Reliability?

2. Keeping time?

3. Possibility of modification?

4. Sweeping?

5. Power reserve?

Does it worth to pay $150 extra?

Nowadays 21J are just great, I have both- A7750 and 21J watches, and the only difference I've noticed - A7750 have just 2-4 hours more of power reserve.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

21js are fine, but do not support chrono functions. If you want working chronos, then a 7750, hand-wind "Lemania" or quartz are your only options. Generally, 7750s are not found in non-chrono watches - the notable exceptions are some auto PAMs due to the positioning of the second hand.

AllergyDoc
Generally, 7750s are not found in non-chrono watches - the notable exceptions are some auto PAMs due to the positioning of the second hand.

And the Big Bang King.

The two movements are rarely an option in the same watch so one almost never has to pick between the two.

Non-functional chronos didn't bother me when I first started collecting replicas. Now I wouldn't consider it, unless it was a Daytona. I would like to have an accurate Daytona with a 21J movement and a running seconds subdial at 6:00. The other chrono hands would be fixed.

I read many good and bad things about the A7750. I've only had a problem with 3 A7750 watches. One had a broken rotor and was replaced. The Graham ran 5 minutes a day fast and then quite running altogether. It's now at the dealers for repairs. A SlyTech hour subdial at 6:00 broke free and began tracking the big hour hand, like a SeaGull or Lemania movement would. All the rest worked fine. Oh yeah, my seconds-at-6 Daytona runs poorly.

Luthier
Generally, 7750s are not found in non-chrono watches - the notable exceptions are some auto PAMs due to the positioning of the second hand.

And the Big Bang King.

The two movements are rarely an option in the same watch so one almost never has to pick between the two.

Non-functional chronos didn't bother me when I first started collecting replicas. Now I wouldn't consider it, unless it was a Daytona. I would like to have an accurate Daytona with a 21J movement and a running seconds subdial at 6:00. The other chrono hands would be fixed.

I read many good and bad things about the A7750. I've only had a problem with 3 A7750 watches. One had a broken rotor and was replaced. The Graham ran 5 minutes a day fast and then quite running altogether. It's now at the dealers for repairs. A SlyTech hour subdial at 6:00 broke free and began tracking the big hour hand, like a SeaGull or Lemania movement would. All the rest worked fine. Oh yeah, my seconds-at-6 Daytona runs poorly.

Anyone offer Daytona with working chrono but NOT with A7750?

I'm sure I'll never use chrono, I'm not a sprinter, but if I buy a watch - everything should be like on gen.

AllergyDoc

Sure, but they're quartz. :lol:

gottahaverolex

The only problem I have had is with the A7750 in my Black Dial Bentley 6.75. It won't stay running more than ten minutes before it stops and needs a good shaking. Probably just needs servicing but I'd rather buy a new watch for what it would cost to get it running again. Almost all of my reps are 7750's and all but that one have been great. My Daytona seconds at 6 has run flawless for over a year. I was one of the lucky ones I guess!

Edited by gottahaverolex

Poohmonster
The only problem I have had is with the A7750 in my Black Dial Bentley 6.75. It won't stay running more than ten minutes before it stops and needs a good shaking. Probably just needs servicing but I'd rather buy a new watch for what it would cost to get it running again. Almost all of my reps are 7750's and all but that one have been great. My Daytona seconds at 6 has run flawless for over a year. I was one of the lucky ones I guess!

Likewise my Bentley with a7750 died three days after it arrived......

gottahaverolex

Likewise my Bentley with a7750 died three days after it arrived......

But my white dial 6.75 is great. It's just the luck of the draw I guess!

pollux1

If only the manufacturers of the a7750 made sure they were properly lubricated and qc'ed before they left the factory, I reckon some of the smaller manufacturers of gens who will be frozen out once Swatch stop supply of ETA ebauches altogether would be quite interested in them.

greg_r
If only the manufacturers of the a7750 made sure they were properly lubricated and qc'ed before they left the factory, I reckon some of the smaller manufacturers of gens who will be frozen out once Swatch stop supply of ETA ebauches altogether would be quite interested in them.

That's a very good point - and I find myself wondering whether that could be enough to encourage the Chinese to work at improving the consistency of the movement....

trailboss99

Well, the A7750 was heavily featured at Bassel World this year by the CN factories who attended so I think that could very well be on the cards and that's gotta be a good thing for us. As more O/S makers use them the quality will have to go up or they just won't use 'em. Since they have little choice once ETA pull in the reins I dare say there would have been a few interesting conversations regarding QC at the CN BW stands.

Col.