Sign in to follow this  
bjornjonas

Nob (me) needs help reg Vintage daytona Paul Newman

bjornjonas

Hi all!

Im looking to invest in my first rep and at this point i am a total nob, but the more i lurk the forums here the more interested and impressed i get..

Ive had a long interest in vintage watches and thought it would be great to add to my collection i could never afford as a gen..

So.. without further ado, is there some-one who can share their wisdom on how i could get my hands on something like this?

stainlesssteeldaytona-1-26-lrg.jpgstainlesssteeldaytona-2-26-lrg.jpg

I actually wouldnt mind if it lookes a bit more beaten up than this example that is a bit to out-of-the-box-y.. if you get my drift.. hehe.. drift..

so here i am pleading to the community for any advice on where to turn to help me create/obtain a really nice vintage-looking vintage model daytona as my first rep-buy..

after 2 days (almost nonstop) reading of the forums i understand that quality comes at a price and im willing to invest in a great timepiece to go with my vintage gen-collection (sadly i dont have the 120k to spring for a gen, but after reading and seeing what some of you guys can do im almost more excited about these possibilities anyways ;) )

any help much appriciated!

/b

g.man

"total nob"

:rofl:

g.man

g.man

In all seriousness mate, welcome aboard, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people here who can give you some useful advice.

cheers

g.man

bjornjonas

"total nob"

:rofl:

g.man

i thought atleast someone would appricate that ;) never hurts with a catchy thread-title ;)

also thanks for welcoming me into the fold,,

fatarms

Welcome, friend.

Akira

Welcome.

Now, tell me your budget and how close to the genuine article you want it and I can give you some advice on your options :)

Best,

Akira

Mike 1108

Welcome.

You picked a nice one to start your collection/addiction.

You might send KeNnY a PM if the doesn't catch this tread. He can steer you in the right direction. Or you can ask BK (PM) about the best way to move forward.

Good luck.

Akira

Or you can ask BK (PM) about the best way to move forward.

What's got BK to do with vintage Daytonas?

jeffw69

Nob? or noob?

DeLaForce

Welcome :) get you're wallet ready...

ebzen02

I want a strap and watch like that!

RichyRichRolex

what is your budget as there are many ways to go?

ebzen02

David Wong would have been the best option last year.. Unfortunately, he doesn't sell anymore.. Research DW (aka David Wong) and pray someone sells you a watch.. Good luck..

bjornjonas

thanks all! i have sent out some pm's but in the interest of everyone else with same interests i think my budget would be around 500 and i would like to come as close as possible, aged look like described in 1st post..

im pming akira, KeNny and BK, checking out more regarding DW..

thanks all!

/b

bjornjonas

what is your budget as there are many ways to go?

well im not really qualified at this point as to guess what something like this would normally cost, but ofcourse i would like to come as close as possible visually to a vintage daytona (maybe even a little misstreated.. like if it was actually owned by paul newman.. someone who loved the watch but had a hard life in store for it.. or a rockstar maybe..

aged dial and correct-looking crystal casing correct shape and crown correct-looking.. and so on.. as close as possible to the real thing..

and full functionallity of the watch would ofcourse be the best thing.. ( is saw some nicelookings reps but they had small hours glued on rather than functioning) but maybe its not possible to find a movement who can operate all of the daytona while still fitting inside the case and not costing an arm and a leg..

i was hoping to land somewhere around 500 since its my first rep but if 600 makes it perfect well hell.. but since im not exactly swimming in money at this point 500 is a good aim for me..

hope this clears things up and some more people can chip in with their know-how and advice ;)

thanks all!

/b

bjornjonas

Hi and welcome to the mad house ... :)

Maybe you should talk to RolexAddict http://www.rwgboard....p?showforum=220 ... he's one of our dealer here and he makes great stuff.

ok i also sent him a pm.. in one of the threads someone mentiones speed-something? i stupidly closed the window before being able to pm.. is this speed-something still around?

2q2e9lv.png

/b

Edited by bjornjonas

bjornjonas

Replied mate :)

I would go for MR for the watch and then ingod dial

http://www.ingod44.c...2-colour-ivory/

thanks a bunch mate!

looks great! (and i responded to pm) only issue i have (and its a relatively small issue) with the MR is the guled on small hours.. any way around this? or would it make it 2-3 times the price to get a fully working version? (outer appearance and functionality is the main goal)

best

/b

Edited by bjornjonas