Sign in to follow this  
Patek

Hello members!

Patek

Hello members!

I joined today after finding a wealth of information on this site. I am mostly interested in manual wound and automatic watches but I also have some quatrz watches too. My manual/auto wind watches are Swiss, Russian and Japanese watches. I recently became interested in Chinese watches/movements. I have one ordered with ST2542 movement (Parnis auto power reserve):

006-87.jpg

It will take probably another three weeks to have it on my wrist. I am now interested in Seagull ST19 movement which I have seen used in some chronographs. But most of them are advertised as Lemania 8810 movement. So far as I know, Lemania (part of the Swatch group) stopped producing any movements back in 90s. Am I right to think that those movements are not Lemania but Seagull?

Thanks.

myaz

As I understand, the chinese bought out old machining equipment from the Swiss back in the 60's and started to manufacture the Seagulls in China. These movementsare found in a number of manual wound watches such as the Breguet 3237, etc.

stolikat

Welcome!

Patek

Thank you everybody!

What happened was that back in 1961 Chinese air force wanted a chronograph watch. The Seagull company bought the 'factory' from Venus company in Switzerland and produced the Venus 175 caliber in China. But this was not Lemania.

Anyhow, I am interested in finding a reputable dealer to get a dress watch with ST19 (all hand winding chronograph) series movement. The one that I am interested is either one with a power reserve or with 'moon phase'.

I've heard so many horror stories about the scams that I lost my trust on any internet dealers. None of them would provide the actual picture of their watches. They say that if the watch is different from what is shown in our website, then send it back!

So, I'll appreciate if I can be introduced to a dealer that the RWG members have trusted.

Thanks.

Pob

Welcome man we sure need someone like you with a lot of info in here ;)

Amit

We have a trusted dealer section here with a great number of dealers.

All are trusted but people prefer dealing with one over the other.

It's a personal choice and one you will make for yourself. However watch international, marvelous replica and Toro are good dealers to start with.

You seem to be well read on watch movements from the sounds of it.

Good luck and see you around.

watchmonger

Welcome @Patek!

"So, I'll appreciate if I can be introduced to a dealer that the RWG members have trusted." -- Hmmmm...let's see....oh, how about visiting the "Trusted Dealers" section? :chatty: http://www.rwgboard.com/board/index.php?showtopic=60

Oh...read, read, and read!

Patek

Thank you all for your kind welcomes and information on trusted dealers.

Mazz

Welcome aboard mate be sure to visit the museum

robznet

Hi mate and............................Nuthouse.jpg

conx

Welcome aboard mate.

dalboy

welcome..the slippery slope is before you.. :giggle:

Patek

Cheers mate!

What an "interesting" collection of watches at the museum!

myaz

Cheers mate!

What an "interesting" collection of watches at the museum!

Glad you "liked" them. :giggle: .............................. You pass the test. Do post pics when you get watches in.

DFH

Finally, a noob that shows up well versed and well educated; knowing exactly what he wants!!! You are a breath a fresh air here, friend - the last batch of noobs we have had around here have not been up to your standard....

Welcome!!!!

osteocruncher

Welcome. Have fun!!

Del

Hello and welcome! :thumbsup2:

Prancuzas

Finally, a noob that shows up well versed and well educated; knowing exactly what he wants!!! You are a breath a fresh air here, friend - the last batch of noobs we have had around here have not been up to your standard....

Welcome!!!!

well said!

As for manual wind watches, be sure to check some IWCs (Fa. Jones, Pisa and some Regulators as far as i remember), you can get them with bulletproof hand-wind movements and AR coated glasses for a very decent price! Your parnis is actually IWC Portugese chronograph. Too bad as for IWC case there is only cheap quartz'es and unreliable 7750s...

Patek

Let me thank all of you for your kind remarks! This surely is a fun forum! Regarding the Parnis picture that I left here, the movement is actually a 'premium' Seagull ST2547 movement 38J. It was independently developed and is not a copy of any Swiss, German, Russian or Japanese movements. I quite like IWC Portuguese and Portofinos. This Parnis is cross between the two. As Parmcuzas mentioned there are only cheap quartz and unreliable Asian 7750s available for the chronos. I wish they make a version using the ST19 movements which seems to be very reliable and capable movement in many versions. I have a Russian chrono which has bi compax movement and it resembles (to some extent) Fortis Cosmonaut series. I have regulated it myself and it keeps very good time, but from time to time when I start the chrono, the minute subdial hand jumps to the first minute instead of staying put. It seems that this is a common problem with the 3313 movement as I sent the first one back and the second one that I've got is no better. My hope is now with Seagull ST19 movement which seems it has been well used throughout the industry. As I said I've never had a Chinese watch so this is going to be my first experience with them. I have an eye for a PP or a Breguet with date and 'moon phase'. I will right about my other watches (Oris big crown, JeanRichard {both with 2428-2 movements}, a Russian Poljot maual alarm with 2612 movement, Invicta submariner with Myota movement,...)

Till next time,

Cheers.