Sign in to follow this  
machiavegli

[MINI REVIEW] Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36 [PIC HEAVY]

machiavegli

I just got my hands on the really slick Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36 Caliper Automatic (GC36) rep thanks to Rochest and Mary at watch-international.com. There have been several previous threads:

http://www.rwgboard....showtopic=24127

http://www.rwgboard....showtopic=14284

http://www.rwgboard....?showtopic=3140

...and I wanted to add some more pics and thoughts in case you're considering one of these.

THE GOOD:

The GC36 rep looks fast! It's the quintessential luxury sports watch. The cotes de geneve on the calipers catches the light nicely, and the black-silver-red color scheme makes it look right at home with a Lamborghini or Ferrari (see pic below).

Everything on the rep is functional although I wouldn't necessarily send it to Geneva to get certified for accuracy :) The crown is screw-in and snaps easily between wind-date-hour.

AR is good. It wears bigger than you think on the wrist because it's pretty thick (see pic).

Anatomy of the dial:

The linear seconds (really 1/10 fraction of seconds) at 9 o'clock works and runs continuously as per gen.

Chronograph seconds are measured by the central second hand and start and stop with the standard chronograph pushers

Chronograph minutes are at 3 o'clock, and chronograph hours at 6 o'clock.

The other crown at 10 o'clock rotates the internal 1/10 second dial as per gen.

The back of the GC36 is a treat: the crystal has a slightly smoked color like a tinted window and the rotor shape and engraving are great, the 7750 is of course not as cool as the gen but they did a good job Tag-ing it up. In fact, the back of this watch looks so good I would definitely NOT recommend the cheaper quartz closed-back version of the watch.

THE BAD:

The deployment clasp on the strap is easy to open by accident, and is a virtual IQ test to put together the first time you do it.

The faux alligator strap looks, well, a bit faux.

Worst for me is the fact that the Cotes-de-Geneve demaskeening on the central calipers and the chronograph minutes window at 3 o'clock don't line up with each other. It's not obvious at 3 or 5 feet but once you've noticed, it does bug you a bit, and would've been easy to fix.

SOOOOOO............. on with the GC36 pics:

Right at home with gen red Lambo:

Tag.jpg

And outside in San Diego:

TAG2.jpg

TAG1.jpg

TAG3.jpg

TAG4.jpg

TAG5.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it.

-Mach

Luthier

Beauty!!! Minor flaws, who cares...

Enjoy, mate!

machiavegli

Thanks Luth!!!

myaz

What a useful review! Thanks for putting in the work.

As for the Côtes de Genève pattern, It doesn't bother me because they usually are at angles on movements.

It's a good one

machiavegli

Thanks Myaz! And thanks for adding the correct accents for CdG, my junior high French classes were a looooong time ago!

-Mach

mickey3390

That's a great looking watch nice lines and your right I like the movement too great rep enjoy.

Crusader

Yep agree, putting together strap and clasp on those Tags for the first time is a real mind challenge :lol:

Great looking watch :)

powderfreak

Very nice! IMO the "flaw" with the Côtes de Genève is really hard to spot if nobody tells you before... in fact it took me a while to see it WITH your description :D

machiavegli
Very nice! IMO the "flaw" with the Côtes de Genève is really hard to spot if nobody tells you before... in fact it took me a while to see it WITH your description :D

Thanks Powderfreak, that actually makes me feel a lot less bothered, the rest of the watch was perfect, though, why, why??? :)

Mcnallyg

how much did this set you back?

gaston awiron

hI IM FROM BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA. ...Finally, Where you buy these excellent watch???

Regards

Chavezzito

hI IM FROM BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA. ...Finally, Where you buy these excellent watch???

Regards

Amigo...it´s in the first sentence...Rochest / Mary...watchinternational.

Take a look at the Trusted Dealers section.

A...y casi se me olvida...bienvenido!

highergame

love that watch

Anonimo

Really like this watch

UmpaHimself

Thanks Powderfreak, that actually makes me feel a lot less bothered, the rest of the watch was perfect, though, why, why??? :)

+1 I would have just thought it was meant to be that way unless I knew the watch really well.

machiavegli

how much did this set you back?

$388 plus PP plus fees, unsure if factory still has at this price

Regards

Amigo...it´s in the first sentence...Rochest / Mary...watchinternational.

Take a look at the Trusted Dealers section.

A...y casi se me olvida...bienvenido!

LOL Si, benvenido a nuestro asilo :D

love that watch

Really like this watch

Thanks Anonimo and HG

+1 I would have just thought it was meant to be that way unless I knew the watch really well.

Thanks Umpa. :D

UmpaHimself

Thanks Umpa. :D

Don't sell yourself short thats a bad ass time piece my friend.

highergame

to op: .... would you recommend this watch? If so I think i'm going to make this my next rep buy

machiavegli
to op: .... would you recommend this watch? If so I think i'm going to make this my next rep buy

In retrospect, I would say definitely get it, but I would get the version with plain stainless instead of PVD coated. A little flashier, easier to avoid scratches. I like it on rubber not SS bracelet or the thin leather, as shown below :

1340143418.jpg

I imagine it's the same price... Show pics when you get yours!

-Mach

cwilliso

it's nice but I wouldn't pay 400 for it. Anyone know how much it was ?

Leon666

uteryvyp.jpgy2y3y8e6.jpg

What is everyone's thoughts on this style for me I prefer it and am just about to make the purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fikeies

I really like it! I just bought a Carrera on a leather strap but was torn between these two. What movement does it have?

hitman84

This is a perfect piece (stainless steel calibre 36)? any details about the price? swiss movement replica? Wer can I get n of these?

slkylucifer

Nice Tag Heuer. I don't see much flaw in it.

Leon666
I really like it! I just bought a Carrera on a leather strap but was torn between these two. What movement does it have?
it has a 7750 movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk