Sign in to follow this  
sbryantgb

Hello from another noob

sbryantgb

I'm not a stranger to rep watches, but would very much consider myself green when it comes to any sort of real knowledge. I have over the past few months purchased 4 reps. Three of which I'm very happy with, and one which is quite simply put a dog. All but one have the 2813 movement the other is a quartz (mistakenly purchased and my fault completely). I have since joing RWG spent many long hours reading your reviews, guides and posts. It would seem that your trusted sellers are all offerring excellent service and products. One who is even taking very good reps and making them even better. Unfortunatley he is a little above my price point. Which leads me to the inevitable noob first question. I would like to buy a Rolex DSSD, but cant decide which one. The list is a s follows.

MOVEMENT: Asain ETA 2836-2 Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph

CASE DIAMETER: 43mm

THICKNESS: 17.5mm

DIAL COLOR: Black Dial, White Dot Markers, Blue Lume on hour markers and needles

CASE MATERIAL: Solid 316F Stainless Steel

BRACELET: SS Oyster Brushed Bracelet with New Design Divers Extension

FRONT GLASS: Dome Sapphire crystal

BACK GLASS: Solid case back with Titanium Seal, 2 piece Caseback

BEZEL: Full Ceramic Bezel With sandwich numeral insert.. Unidirectional rotating Bezel, Blue Lume on Bezel Pearl

CLASP TYPE: Flip Lock

DATE INDICATOR: At 3:00 position, (Set via Crown, Bevelled Edge Date Window)

The price is $286.(Free for shipping by normal airmail)

MOVEMENT: Asian 2813 automatic, 21J

DIAL COLOR: Black Dial with White Dot Markers Blue Lume on hour markers and needles

CASE MATERIAL: Solid 316L Stainless Steel

BRACELET: Solid 316L Stainless Steel

FRONT GLASS: Dome Sapphire Crystal

BACK GLASS: Solid case back with detailed engraving

BEZEL: Full Ceremic Bezel with Sandwich Numeral Insert, Uni -directional (Black Bezel)

DATE INDICATOR: At 3:00 position (Closed 6 and 9 Date Font)

The price is $128.

MOVEMENT: Asian 2813 automatic, 21J

DIAL COLOR: Black Dial with White Dot Markers Blue Lume on hour markers and needles

CASE MATERIAL: Solid 316L Stainless Steel

BRACELET: Solid 316L Stainless Steel

FRONT GLASS: Dome Sapphire Crystal

BACK GLASS: Solid case back with detailed engraving (2 piece caseback)

BEZEL: Full Ceremic Bezel with Sandwich Numeral Insert, Uni -directional (Black Bezel)

DATE INDICATOR: At 3:00 position (Closed 6 and 9 Date Font)

The price is $108.

I can see no difference between the last 2 other than the lower priced unit has a two piece caseback, which I think would be more desirable. The higher priced unit has the better movement, which I have absolutly no experinence with, but this is the one I'm leaning towards. I would like opinions on wether or not this movement is enough to justify an extra $100ish (which seems based on what I have read a good price for said movement)

Any help wpould be greatly appreciated. cheers Steve

dalboy

Steve..Welcome to the forum, if your looking for a DSSD there is one hell of a deal going @ the member 2 member section check it out being sold Molcos..............read all you can very informative and they are a great bunch here.

Dalboy

Edited by dalboy

sbryantgb

Thanks for the welcome Dalboy, where do I find the member2member section? I can't find it for looking.

dalboy

Look for the trading zone half way down home page.......

Del

Hello and welcome! :thumbsup2:

You need to read the movement guide in the new member or general section (can't remember which but it is a sticky near the top).

For me you want the Asian clone ETA 2836 movement. This runs at 28800bph, exactly like the gen, and is a higher quality movement than the slower beat 21j movement. ;)

sbryantgb

Hello and welcome! :thumbsup2:

You need to read the movement guide in the new member or general section (can't remember which but it is a sticky near the top).

For me you want the Asian clone ETA 2836 movement. This runs at 28800bph, exactly like the gen, and is a higher quality movement than the slower beat 21j movement. ;)

Yes so I have read, and is the main reason I'm leaning towards that watch. I assume I'm correct in saying that other than the movement though the three watches are pretty much identical.

Steve227

I agree with Del. If you want the sweep to be the most similar to the gen then you want 28800bph ie the asian eta. Its a solid movement.

There are quite a few threads ref the Dssd so my only advice would be to search on it and then make an informed decision.

Happy shopping and welcome to the board!

conx

Hi and welcome.

It's a very good question you ask. I started out with the A21J movements in most watches, but without doubt my favourite movement is the A2836, which as Del says beats the same as the gen and will noticeably sweep more smoothly.

the choice is really a cost one. If you can afford it, then IMO get the A2836 version, but if price is an issue the A21J movements will still give you a watch you will love.

Others here may be be able to comment on the accuracy of each watch, as I believe there is a version where the bezel is not accurate (something to do with the 10? - could be talking rubbish though :)), but overall you've made a great choice and the dealer is also 1st class.

Whatever you choose, make sure you post pictures when you get it.

sbryantgb

Thank you all for your replies and help. I have looked for the trading zone area and I really can't find it (must be a noob issue:(). I would have liked to check out the watch Dalboy reffered to. If not the $288 deal sounds to good to miss.

Cyril_Clunge

You need 5 posts to see the sales section. Say thank you and you're there! :D

sbryantgb

Thank and cheers, Steve

Cyril_Clunge

Glad to be of service :)

dalboy

You need 5 posts to see the sales section. Say thank you and you're there! :D

OOOOOOOOOOOOOPs forgot thanks for the reminder Cyril......

dalboy

Way to go Steve.........................OPEN SESAME..... :giggle:

sbryantgb

Okay thats a nice deal Molcos is offering. I will drop him a pm (that is if I have enough posts)

jeffw69

Welcome to the forum.

The DSSD is one of my daily beaters, love that watch.

natty5454

welcome

bronco bullit

welcome aboard :pirate:

Mazz

Welcome aboard mate

Be sure to visit the museum

powderfreak
:wave: