Sign in to follow this  
P4GTR

Which AP should I obtain in order to design straps?

P4GTR

I want to start offering AP ROO straps, maybe straps for the diver, etc.

I am not well versed on AP. What watch should I pick up and use as a template to design straps? I want to offer the most common, popular sized straps.

Do the straps need to be made for deployant or will they fit tang buckle? Do I need more than one watch to accomplish my goal?

The AP ROO 7750 sec @ 12 is not in the cards right now. I need an economical solution. Any suggestions?

Silverspeed

If you want I can send you a rep AP ROO strap to use as a template

Chavezzito

Do you need the watch itself or would it be ok with only the strap?

I would gladly send you the strap mine came with...which is crap but I don´t have another one to put on while you do your work, thinking that there are a lot of people who have changed the straps so there should be some laying around.

For me personally I would rather have a deployant on mine.

Edit: Silver was faster :lol:

Silverspeed

btw the Diver and the ROO's take the same straps

imo it would be best to have them fit the deployant

P4GTR

And the strap you have is made for deployant silver? I may take you up on that buddy. What about the deployant clasp itself?

I need to know beyond any doubt that there is uniformity and proper fitment against the case, so I would prefer to have strap/strap links/case, as long as exorbitant cost doesn't prohibit that.

Anyone in or around the tampa area with a ROO? Anyone that can help will be rewarded well! gen alligator ROO straps aren't cheap, wink wink! ;)

jeffw69

Hey Dan, I am up in PA and I have a rep AP ROO strap that you can use. It came with deployant which I am using, but the strap is yours if you would like.

Serge D

Hi there, i recently made one using my ap diver case/strap. All you physically really need is a strap for a template. The rest is dimentions, use the cutouts in the strap for a reference (no need for steel links) one thing you should bear in mind is theres 1 - 1.5mm between the lug screws and a case so you cant use thick hide, or skive the end before you make the turn. Hope you understood what i meant to say.

cfed0c63-84fb-814a.jpg

I know it doesnt go with the diver, its the only ap i have for now, gave it a shot having a piece of shark laying around.

Good luck!

P.S. making an AP strap is way much easier than you think. It only seems to be complex.

Del

Like some others have said, I think you only need a strap as a template to take the measurements from. I sent Donerix a Safari strap and deployant (kindly loaned to me by Midasmook) and he used that to make the hornback strap - it all fitted on the watch perfectly.

Once you make one then I guess you have the measurements for future straps.

As Silverspeed said, the Diver is the same but to take the Diver buckle I think there is a larger gap at the end than there is for the deployant clasp. Again though, if you have a sample strap then you can get the measurements.

The other thing about the Diver strap with buckle is that it can be thicker than the deployant version - the deployant strap needs a much thinner end to fit into the clasp. My Diver hornback is much thicker than the Safari strap.

I think a sample strap for a deployant and a sample strap for the buckle is all you need. You can even ask each customer to send you their strap and deployant/buckle to measure off (as Donerix did with me) - then you can't go wrong.

RichardMiami

Dan.. if you want, I have an AP rep on bracelet (not strap) that is a cheapo, but meets the same dimensions as the others I am sure. If you want, I can mail you the watch.

I would imagine you can play with it along with any of the rep straps to use as a guinea pig. Let me know.

Luthier

Exactly this strap for exactly this watch.

:D

AP-223-4.jpg

P4GTR

Luth what are you talking about buddy?

Thanks for the input everyone. I have a much better understanding as to what I need to do. I like to have a watch to use for modeling my straps but I may not buy one for this line of straps. I do have a friend locally that owns a gen montauk highway, so I guess I could always use that for eye candy. I'm a little uncomfortable doing anything with someone elses $30,000 watch though. :lol:

If anyone has a rep strap & deployant I can borrow, please let me know! Thanks again guys.

diegosaenz

Let us know when you start making these! I just bought one and the strap sucks so bad!

Luthier

Luth what are you talking about buddy?

I'm, actually, talking about making hi-quality straps for AP Barichello, Montoya, etc. All rep. straps on these watches are too thin and too short, buddy.

:P